Just cant pull the trigger on the 14'r

LegShot

FNG
Can't wait for 14'r version 2.0. Full center zip and more pals webbing. As soon as that happens, my cart will be full!

kcm2

WKR
Patrick Smith is a good friend of mine, which began with me as one of his earliest customers, and an unrepentant fan of his gear. Having packed out elk with junk packs, I know the difference. I hope that Camp Trails pack I packed my first elk out with is deeply ensconced in a landfill somewhere. Likewise a hunting buddy, the one with Navigator, got that for a 40th birthday present when his Schuh pack hurt so much that his hips weren't back to normal for a month.

All my packs have a Rhino on them. Won't have it any other way.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Can't wait for 14'r version 2.0. Full center zip and more pals webbing. As soon as that happens, my cart will be full!

That would be an extremely tempting proposition! This is another reason why I have secretly been holding off... Waiting on the "New and Improved" version. Fingers crossed!

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
The 14'er is a great pack with lots of options for expansion. Feels great on the back, light, nimble, yet very capable. Able to go from Slick to lots of exterior pouches and pockets if needed. My only "gripe" was the lack of full frontal zip. Had it opened all the way up I'd probably still have mine today.

Moved into the Tarryall for my "perfect" day pack and haven't regretted it yet. The built in side and back pockets eliminates the need for adding a bunch of belt pouches. It can expand well for an overnighter or compress flat for a short quick trip. Items seem to be right where I need them and the interior organization works great for me whether I'm spot and stalk on the ground or sitting in a tree. Yes, it's a little pricey but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get passed to my son and grand son one day.

I also found the Tarryall great for 50# training loads at the fire station when I'd leave my Duplex or Bikini at home. If I have a need for serious or awkward loads I just grab a frame and don't look back. Otherwise the Tarryall is my "perfect" day pack and I don't see changing any time soon.

Mr. Bill, I was thiiiiis close to buying your RG 14'r when you posted it. I just cant get my heart into this pack in its current configuarion. I did notice that soon after you posted yours that 4 or 5 others popped up in the classifieds. I have been struggling with this for months!!

Mr. Bill, I was thiiiiis close to buying your RG 14'r when you posted it. I just cant get my heart into this pack in its current configuarion. I did notice that soon after you posted yours that 4 or 5 others popped up in the classifieds. I have been struggling with this for months!!

There are a few times I miss it but overall I've been happier with the Tarryall than holding onto the 14'er. Been working hard the last few months to reduce the gear cache to just "used" or "needed" items. The 14'er is a great pack for sure but just didn't fit into my pack rotation.

vdeal

FNG

Is this just wishful thinking or are there substantiated (or not) rumors? That center zip not completely opening up is a killer for me buying the 14'r.

Dobermann

WKR
FWIW, Frank at Kifaru uses, and recommends, a 22 Mag ... I took his advice, and it's a great pack. Fits a lot of gear for a day pack, and is well thought-out and organised. Love it!

sveltri

WKR
I ran a 14'r for day hunts/trips this year and couldn't be happier with it. As far as internal organization a couple pull outs with "kits" in them worked great. Everybody has different requirements for "day hunt" gear, but how much do you actually need? I don't run any additional pockets on the pack itself, but on the belt I have a small belt pouch, Nalgene pocket, and another small pocket (not sure what its called). For gear (weather dependent obviously) puffy, kill kit, possible pouch, food bag and stove, gps, bugle tube, maps, steripen, gloves, beanie, etc. With all that I was still able to fit the back straps and loins in the pack for the first trip out. I guess I wish the zipper went all the way, but so far I couldn't be happier with the 14'r.

vdeal

FNG
There are a few times I miss it but overall I've been happier with the Tarryall than holding onto the 14'er. Been working hard the last few months to reduce the gear cache to just "used" or "needed" items. The 14'er is a great pack for sure but just didn't fit into my pack rotation.

mrbillbrown,

A few questions on the Tarryall since you seem to have some experience with it. How well does it transfer the load to your hips with the standard waist belt? I need almost all the weight off of my shoulders due to a worn disc in my neck. My only experience with Kifaru packs is a G2 Daystalker and that works completely different. Do you get enough lift to take the weight off of your shoulders? That would be nice, I run an HPG Kit Bag that can be attached to shoulder straps for lift if they are high enough. Finally, in the K video about the Tarryall, Aron mentions using a different belt on the pack (actually in the 14'r video but he says the Tarryall is the same). This is a dual delta strap belt - are these still available or are we talking the used market? Thanks for any replies.

Vurtle

FNG
I used a 14r for a week on a section hike on the AT. I liked the pack, but didn't love it. I traded for an x-ray and I really like (almost love) that pack. If I could get my hands on a xing, I think it would be even better. If I had to choose between the 14'r and the tarryall again, I would get the tarryall. But I would pick the xing over either if it is anything like the xray. I use carbon arrow shafts and I cut them about 1/2" shorter than they are suppose to be. I also don't use a waist belt.