Kahles K318i or Leupold Mark 5HD 3-18x

I’m looking to top my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW with a reliable FFP scope for long distance.

I’ve owned Mark 5HDs before and they are solid. I’m eyeing the Kahles K318i because it’s got top end Swaro glass and supposed to be the cream of the crop for tracking accuracy.

Had anyone compared or owned both of these scopes? Is there a substantial value increase going with the Kahles considering new they are $1000 more than an illuminated reticle Mark 5HD.

amassi

WKR
In that price range there is a dozen other contenders you should be considering with better records than both the leupold and kahles.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE
In that price range there is a dozen other contenders you should be considering with better records than both the leupold and kahles.

I haven’t heard any negatives on the Kahles and seldom find anything negative about the Mark 5HD.

OP
General RE LEE
Call me crazy but I don’t think Erik Cortina is going to shoot and win with Kahles unless they are solid.

Attachments

• 1B58B4A9-641E-4B89-8014-45078794CBB9.png
    1B58B4A9-641E-4B89-8014-45078794CBB9.png
    762.3 KB · Views: 64

ChrisAU

WKR
Biggest negative I routinely hear about Kahles is narrow FOV. I’d have a hard time buying one instead of an ATACR, but they are nice. I really want to like Mark5’s, I’ve had 3 or 4 of them. I hate the windage turret (albeit a small gripe), and their track record is definitely more questionable among scopes in the price range. Just tonight I opted for a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 over another Mark5.

Biggest negative I routinely hear about Kahles is narrow FOV. I’d have a hard time buying one instead of an ATACR, but they are nice. I really want to like Mark5’s, I’ve had 3 or 4 of them. I hate the windage turret (albeit a small gripe), and their track record is definitely more questionable among scopes in the price range. Just tonight I opted for a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 over another Mark5.
I have 2 ATACR, couple of Kahles and a few Mark 5’s. I’ll agree the Kahles (both 318/525 have a narrower FOV, but I feel the Kahles is a nicer scope than the ATACR. And a few steps about the Mark 5HD. And I’ll definitely agree that even though I’ve yet to have an issue with any of the Mark 5’s, and there are thousands out there without issue, there’s that looming history of their tracking issues. Let me know on the Tenmile if you will. I’ve been considering one to do just that, replace the Mark 5HD’s but have no experience or hands on with any Trijicons. Be interesting to hear what your thoughts are compared to the Mark 5. 👍

amassi

WKR
Call me crazy but I don’t think Erik Cortina is going to shoot and win with Kahles unless they are solid.
You're crazy
Sponsored and paid to use an optic hardly proves them to be "solid"
Look at the # of prs shooters using vortex

OP
General RE LEE
You're crazy
Sponsored and paid to use an optic hardly proves them to be "solid"
Look at the # of prs shooters using vortex

Are you certain he is sponsored by them?

amassi

WKR
Have you owned k-series Kahles and had issues? What about Gen 2 & Gen 3 Razors - have you owned any and had problems?
I have a k318i, it's a great scope. Other than the parallax being on the elevation knob.
I like their msr reticle the most of the ffp mil hunting reticles I own. It's been gone since March 3rd for repair

I've owned gen 2 and 3 razors and an amg. All gone now
About the only scopes I haven't owned are zco, sb and March. I'm sure there's some niche brands I'm unaware of as well.

amassi

WKR
Are you certain he is sponsored by them?
I'm certain he didn't pay for that scope, won't lose a minute of sleep if it fails him and could give 2 wet shits about it being tough. He's an influencer with a monetized YouTube channel- his word is worth 1 click

OP
General RE LEE
I have a k318i, it's a great scope. Other than the parallax being on the elevation knob.
I like their msr reticle the most of the ffp mil hunting reticles I own. It's been gone since March 3rd for repair

I've owned gen 2 and 3 razors and an amg. All gone now
About the only scopes I haven't owned are zco, sb and March. I'm sure there's some niche brands I'm unaware of as well.

Gone since March for repair? That kinda makes the decision for me.

amassi

WKR
Gone since March for repair? That kinda makes the decision for me.
And- they won't be accepting repairs for 6 weeks, or DELIVERING repaired devices. I'm not excited
3b5ac23bca99dd6e08e2c81e1064e930.jpg

Kahles repair hang up is only temporary. It’s not a forever thing. And to add, the failure rate or returned for service is extremely low. Very few ever need sent in. I’d take the very unlikely chance of having to send a Kahles in and wait a few months than take the considerable more likely chance of say a Vortex or Leupold failing. Especially in the field.

amassi

WKR
Kahles repair hang up is only temporary. It’s not a forever thing. And to add, the failure rate or returned for service is extremely low. Very few ever need sent in. I’d take the very unlikely chance of having to send a Kahles in and wait a few months than take the considerable more likely chance of say a Vortex or Leupold failing. Especially in the field.
OK if very few are ever sent in- why have they had mine for 4 months? They're talking about a 2023 return date, let's call it a year for simplicity sake- which other $3K optic will the mfg sit on for a year? no offer of a replacement or anything.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on that Tenmile when you get a chance. I'm looking hard at them.