Kansas next state to ban game cameras on Public Land

Rich M

WKR
The bottom line is that they are effective when used and are extremely effective when used correctly.

It’s not the government job to provide you with a reason to be active. You can do that without putting cameras up.

The govt isn't telling folks to put up a game camera. It should be up to the person what he or she wants to do.

If you don't want to run trail cams, then don't. The reason some folks are so successful is that they put in the time and effort.

Just cause you don't like something doesn't make it wrong - just means you don't like it.

Society is letting a 12 year old change his or her gender, why can't someone choose whether or not to use game cameras?

Overdrive

WKR
The bottom line is that they are effective when used and are extremely effective when used correctly.

It’s not the government job to provide you with a reason to be active. You can do that without putting cameras up.
Oh yeah I get that, IMO they can be effective on whitetail for sure. But I'd have to have a 100 cameras over a mile long to cover all the possible travel routes of elk where I go.

I just did it for fun and conditioning it didn't change my plans for the area, I wish I would have seen some of the bulls I got on camera. Doesn't bother me people are using cameras.

I agree the government shouldn't have any say over a game camera or what we do with our spare time.

The govt isn't telling folks to put up a game camera. It should be up to the person what he or she wants to do.

If you don't want to run trail cams, then don't. The reason some folks are so successful is that they put in the time and effort.

Just cause you don't like something doesn't make it wrong - just means you don't like it.

Society is letting a 12 year old change his or her gender, why can't someone choose whether or not to use game cameras?
Just cause society is letting a 12 yo change gender doesn’t mean they are right. In fact, on that topic they are dead wrong. It’s child abuse.

Cameras are also not right as they are yet another modern shortcut to placate the ever more lazy society. Additionally, many abuse them. Nothing right about hanging a cell cam sending real time images to your phone thus you wait until you get a pic of a nice buck heading in to bed in the spot your cam is covering then jump in your truck and head out to hunt it. It violates the ethos of fair chase just the same is me sending a drone with a camera out over a bedding area to confirm there is a buck i want to hunt in there before i actually head in to hunt.

Ban em all nationwide so i can cut down every single one i see and leave it face down in the dirt for the lazy sob to come pick up his trash.

CorbLand

WKR

10/10 on the attempt of a straw man argument. Your last question has zero relevance in this discussion of trail cameras.

I like using cameras. I have tons of them.

The government does have the ability and should be able to tell people what they can and cannot do when it is a public resource. Why do we have seasons? Why do we have tags? Should I be able to hunt when I want with what I want?

I never said it was wrong to use cameras. Just that it’s effective and should be regulated.

I agree that people are successful because they put time and effort in and that’s what I want is for people to actually put time and effort in.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I get that, IMO they can be effective on whitetail for sure. But I'd have to have a 100 cameras over a mile long to cover all the possible travel routes of elk where I go.

I just did it for fun and conditioning it didn't change my plans for the area, I wish I would have seen some of the bulls I got on camera. Doesn't bother me people are using cameras.

I agree the government shouldn't have any say over a game camera or what we do with our spare time.
You’d be surprised how many guys actually own and run dozens of cameras. I’d bet there are those that actually do own and run hundreds. My buddies father runs 50 on a 1000 acre farm in WI. I don’t know what to say to you if you actually believe that to be fair chase.

CorbLand

WKR

They are effective on elk and mule deer too. If they weren’t, people wouldn’t use as many as they do.

The regulations are not to stop the guy doing it recreationally that has a couple cameras. It’s to the stop the guys with 100s to 1000s. Yes, those people exist.

Overdrive

WKR
You’d be surprised how many guys actually own and run dozens of cameras. I’d bet there are those that actually do own and run hundreds. My buddies father runs 50 on a 1000 acre farm in WI. I don’t know what to say to you if you actually believe that to be fair chase.
If it's legal it's fair chase, that's where I stand.

CorbLand

WKR
Our laws are dictated by our morals and our morals are dictated by our laws.

There are a lot of things that we have evaluated over many years of hunting that were once legal and no longer are. To simply say it’s legal therefore it’s fair chase is short sighted and a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Overdrive

WKR
Our laws are dictated by our morals and our morals are dictated by our laws.
Yup and I choose not to run hundreds of cameras, I haven't put out a camera in about 5 years. But I'm also not going to judge others and condemn them as long as they are staying within the law of the state they use cameras in. But I can only control my actions, if I see something illegal I'll report it.

CorbLand

WKR
Yup and I choose not to run hundreds of cameras, I haven't put out a camera in about 5 years. But I'm also not going to judge others and condemn them as long as they are staying within the law of the state they use cameras in. But I can only control my actions, if I see something illegal I'll report it.
I don’t condemn people that do things that are legal either but I also don’t just sit back and say well it’s legal, therefore it’s right.

I wish we lived in a society that didn’t need laws and regulations but we don’t. When it comes to wildlife the tragedy of the commons will always reign.

Last edited:
When I see the pics of 30 cameras on 1 waterhole in the desert I completely understand why some states have banned them. And I 100% agree that checking your email on your phone every 30 seconds for cell cam pics of a buck headed to your ambush point is not real hunting.

However, as long as trail cams are legal I’ll continue to use them for mule deer. I work 70-80 hours a week and have a family, I simply don’t have time to be out glassing for bucks every weekend in July and August. And the majority of the areas I hunt are simply too thick for long distance glassing to be effective.

Instead, in early July I spend a weekend hiking into all my proven spots and potential spots with cameras and a 1 gallon ziplock bag of salt for each camera. I go back in late September and pull all the cameras. Wherever has the biggest buck or the best abundance of good bucks is where I’ll be hunting the 2nd weekend of October.

If they ban them in my state I’ll find another way to do it, but for now this is a great way to scout in a significantly less amount of time. I wouldn’t necessarily call it lazy since most of these cameras are 2-5 miles in from the truck. I’d just call it extremely convenient and less time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t abide by the “well if it’s legal” argument. Almost everything was legal, like shooting 200 Buffalo a day, until we realized the harm and potential for abuse thus making it illegal.

Trail cams are at that point which is why they are beginning to ban them state by state. They are everywhere in WI and a real nuisance on public.

Another problem occurring is the ones long since abandoned because the lazy owner can’t bear to walk out to retrieve his $30 Walmart special once the batteries die and the season is over. To me, that’s littering which in my book is right up there with poaching.

Time for them to go. People in general are just too lazy, immoral, and disrespectful to manage them on their own. Which i’ll admit is pretty sad but it is what it is in todays society.

CorbLand

WKR
When I see the pics of 30 cameras on 1 waterhole in the desert I completely understand why some states have banned them. And I 100% agree that checking your email on your phone every 30 seconds for cell cam pics of a buck headed to your ambush point is not real hunting.

However, as long as trail cams are legal I’ll continue to use them for mule deer. I work 70-80 hours a week and have a family, I simply don’t have time to be out glassing for bucks every weekend in July and August. And the majority of the areas I hunt are simply too thick for long distance glassing to be effective.

Instead, in early July I spend a weekend hiking into all my proven spots and potential spots with cameras and a 1 gallon ziplock bag of salt for each camera. I go back in late September and pull all the cameras. Wherever has the biggest buck or the best abundance of good bucks is where I’ll be hunting the 2nd weekend of October.

If they ban them in my state I’ll find another way to do it, but for now this is a great way to scout in a significantly less amount of time. I wouldn’t necessarily call it lazy since most of these cameras are 2-5 miles in from the truck. I’d just call it extremely convenient and less time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This post is the embodiment of why there should be regulations on trail cameras.

So many things in the hunting world that would be a lot more convenient and less time consuming that we regulate.

Overdrive

WKR
I don’t condemn people that do things that are legal either but I also don’t just sit back and say well it’s legal, therefore it’s right.

I wish we lived in a society that didn’t need laws and regulations but we don’t. When it comes to wildlife the tragedy of the commons will always reign.
We've always lived in a society that has needed laws.

I will always support people being legal within the laws, their rights don't end where someone else's moral compass begins. If baiting is legal then so be it, by fighting to take those things away it's taking a hunting opportunity away from someone. And that's what I don't like to see, especially among fellow hunters.

It get's into a slippery slope, what's next some guy doesn't like that some other hunter has an advantage because he uses long range rifles, spotting scopes, range finders (all things that give an advantage). The list could go on and on.

Overdrive

WKR
I don’t abide by the “well if it’s legal” argument. Almost everything was legal, like shooting 200 Buffalo a day, until we realized the harm and potential for abuse thus making it illegal.

Trail cams are at that point which is why they are beginning to ban them state by state. They are everywhere in WI and a real nuisance on public.

Another problem occurring is the ones long since abandoned because the lazy owner can’t bear to walk out to retrieve his $30 Walmart special once the batteries die and the season is over. To me, that’s littering which in my book is right up there with poaching.

Time for them to go. People in general are just too lazy, immoral, and disrespectful to manage them on their own. Which i’ll admit is pretty sad but it is what it is in todays society.
Well then we can just disagree on the Legal is legal issue, but other peoples rights within those laws don't end where your moral compass and feelings begin.

And get real we've come a long ways in conservation since the days of killing buffalo for profits.

CorbLand

WKR
We've always lived in a society that has needed laws.

I will always support people being legal within the laws, their rights don't end where someone else's moral compass begins. If baiting is legal then so be it, by fighting to take those things away it's taking a hunting opportunity away from someone. And that's what I don't like to see, especially among fellow hunters.

It get's into a slippery slope, what's next some guy doesn't like that some other hunter has an advantage because he uses long range rifles, spotting scopes, range finders (all things that give an advantage). The list could go on and on.
But if a law goes against my moral compass, I should advocate for a change of that law. Especially when that law is related to a public resource.

I never said a word about baiting. I am talking trail cameras.

It’s not that something gives an advantage it’s the type of advantage it gives someone. Everything a human uses provides an advantage over an animal. That’s why we have to have a level of advantages we are willing to allow and not allow.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Also requires a much larger effort - meaning to hold the deer on their property takes more effort than riding out on a SxS and dumping a bed of corn

Since I moved to KS a few years ago, legal baiting has always been a head scratcher for me
So is walking out strapping a camera to a tree in multiple locations maybe miles apart hours from your house and having those camera send pictures in real time to your cell phone while you stuff your face with Cheetos 24/7 365 more are less work than driving to, walking on those properties and physically scouting with your own eyes multiple times?

Because I can tell you running in and throwing a camera up takes a fraction of the time and effort than actually scouting to obtain the info a trail can left for days or weeks or months or to get the inventory of the deer really on the property.

So is walking out strapping a camera to a tree in multiple locations maybe miles apart hours from your house and having those camera send pictures in real time to your cell phone while you stuff your face with Cheetos 24/7 365 more are less work than driving to, walking on those properties and physically scouting with your own eyes multiple times?

Because I can tell you running in and throwing a camera up takes a fraction of the time and effort than actually scouting to obtain the info a trail can left for days or weeks or months or to get the inventory of the deer really on the property.
Agree completely. I'm totally fine with the camera ban, even more so cell cameras.