Kestrel knives review- never buying another

Jon_G

WKR
I have recently come across a good deal on a kestrel mountain caper here in the classifieds. I was looking for something ultralight to take hunting because my "heavy" knife stays back at camp. I also wanted it because I do a lot of biking as my cardio for hunting and I wanted to carry a lightweight knife in case I ever need one. I also backpack and so on...
No disrespect to you if you own a Montana knife company blade but I personally am not paying $200+ for a ball bearing knife. I saw they just came out with a speed goat in magnacut which sounds a lot more intriguing but that's a topic for another day.

The mountain caper is a really good blade with a really high quality steel which is S90V. I have two S90V knives and I am new at sharpening "super steels" so I wanted to compare my sharpening to how it feels when it comes from the manufacturer. I have now sent 3 emails to kestrel asking if they can sharpen my knife and have not received a single response. I have contacted Benchmade about my other S90V knife and they responded in one day. Same with Montana knife company when I messaged them with a question I had.

Now, my goal isn't to come on here simply to talk shit about a company. I just want to make my fellow roksliders aware of what you're getting into if you order from kestrel. Either be really good at sharpening super steels or know someone who does because you're likely not going to hear from them.

rcb2000

WKR
Dang, no phone number on the website.
Maybe try reaching them on social media?

You never know, your email could be going to their spam folder or something odd.

Drenalin

WKR
That stinks. The one time I sent an email, the owner called me within 10 minutes to talk through my question. Wish I had saved the number, I'd post it up for you. He was great to talk to and very helpful. I like their products overall, but I have enough trouble with "lesser" steels that I know I don't want to be sharpening S90v in the field.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
That stinks. The one time I sent an email, the owner called me within 10 minutes to talk through my question. Wish I had saved the number, I'd post it up for you. He was great to talk to and very helpful. I like their products overall, but I have enough trouble with "lesser" steels that I know I don't want to be sharpening S90v in the field.
I wish my experience was half this good with them lol.

I joined knifeforums.com and learned a lot but everyone told that for being a beginner that sharpening S90V would be a pain in the ass and it sure is lol. That's why I wanted to send my kestrel to them. We'll see if they decide to answer one day lol

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Dang, no phone number on the website.
Maybe try reaching them on social media?

You never know, your email could be going to their spam folder or something odd.
I believe that on IG on one of their posts I asked when that specific knife would be available. No response either lol. My emails to them have been very short and to the point.

Hi, there,

I have a kestrel mountain caper and was wondering if I may send it back for sharpening. Please guide me through the process and I'll have it shipped asap.

That's all I've ever written and nothing lol. I give up trying to reach them.

intunegp

WKR
I'd also be willing to put an edge on it for you if you cover shipping. I use a TSProf Blitz 360 with a variety of diamond/resin-bonded diamond stones and can set whatever angle you prefer as well as your preference of toothy, polished, micro bevel, etc.

Maverick1

WKR
I have recently come across a good deal on a kestrel mountain caper here in the classifieds. I was looking for something ultralight to take hunting because my "heavy" knife stays back at camp. I also wanted it because I do a lot of biking as my cardio for hunting and I wanted to carry a lightweight knife in case I ever need one. I also backpack and so on...
No disrespect to you if you own a Montana knife company blade but I personally am not paying $200+ for a ball bearing knife. I saw they just came out with a speed goat in magnacut which sounds a lot more intriguing but that's a topic for another day.

The mountain caper is a really good blade with a really high quality steel which is S90V. I have two S90V knives and I am new at sharpening "super steels" so I wanted to compare my sharpening to how it feels when it comes from the manufacturer. I have now sent 3 emails to kestrel asking if they can sharpen my knife and have not received a single response. I have contacted Benchmade about my other S90V knife and they responded in one day. Same with Montana knife company when I messaged them with a question I had.

Now, my goal isn't to come on here simply to talk shit about a company. I just want to make my fellow roksliders aware of what you're getting into if you order from kestrel. Either be really good at sharpening super steels or know someone who does because you're likely not going to hear from them.
Good to see that you are happy with the knife itself. Also nice to see other members here offering to sharpen it for you!

If I am reading your post above correctly, you aren't buying another knife from them because they won't respond to your email request to sharpen your knife? Is this a service they offer on their website, or something that comes with a purchase of their products?

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Good to see that you are happy with the knife itself. Also nice to see other members here offering to sharpen it for you!

If I am reading your post above correctly, you aren't buying another knife from them because they won't respond to your email request to sharpen your knife? Is this a service they offer on their website, or something that comes with a purchase of their products?
Yeah it's great that other members are being so helpful.

And yes they do offer this service it's on their website under their FAQ section. It says just email them and they'll resharpen it. I wouldn't be mad at them if they had no mention of it on their page.

I am learning how to sharpen myself and I just spend quite a bit of money on stones. I left my kitchen knives sharpen than the day I bought them. S90V proved to be more difficult than I thought for a beginner though. I also wanted to compare a factory edge over what I could do myself to another S90v but since kestrel never responded, I am going to send my Benchmade to them instead.

Maverick1

WKR

And yes they do offer this service it's on their website under their FAQ section. It says just email them and they'll resharpen it. I wouldn't be mad at them if they had no mention of it on their page.

I am learning how to sharpen myself and I just spend quite a bit of money on stones. I left my kitchen knives sharpen than the day I bought them. S90V proved to be more difficult than I thought for a beginner though. I also wanted to compare a factory edge over what I could do myself to another S90v but since kestrel never responded, I am going to send my Benchmade to them instead.
Thanks. I now see that on the FAQ section of their website:

“Is it true you offer free sharpening?
Yes! Any Kestrel knife may be mailed to us for free sharpening. Contact us to set it up!”

Would the work sharp system do it?
There fairly cheap and what I’m looking at getting.Having the guide is nice,I had a lansky but need a upgrade.

I understand your frustration completely, but I do think it is worth the time and money to be able to sharpen your knives yourself. I also understand good sharpening supplies are expensive and don’t come with the ability, it takes time.

Even s90v doesn’t hold a good edge through an elk, so if I didn’t sharpen my own, I would have to rely on a sharpening service after a buck or 2/3 of a bull… I sharpen my knives including my altitude and don’t appreciate s90v.

Another option is selling one or 2 of your s90v knives and reinvest in a couple that are easier to sharpen yourself, as you become more confident sharpening, and still like the s90v, buy another or two

There are a few steels that hold an edge really well and come back way easier imo, I will never buy another s90v knife, my altitude is a fishing knife now, I don’t like it as a hunting knife

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Would the work sharp system do it?
There fairly cheap and what I’m looking at getting.Having the guide is nice,I had a lansky but need a upgrade.
Which one are you looking into? I have the
I understand your frustration completely, but I do think it is worth the time and money to be able to sharpen your knives yourself. I also understand good sharpening supplies are expensive and don’t come with the ability, it takes time.

Even s90v doesn’t hold a good edge through an elk, so if I didn’t sharpen my own, I would have to rely on a sharpening service after a buck or 2/3 of a bull… I sharpen my knives including my altitude and don’t appreciate s90v.

Another option is selling one or 2 of your s90v knives and reinvest in a couple that are easier to sharpen yourself, as you become more confident sharpening, and still like the s90v, buy another or two

There are a few steels that hold an edge really well and come back way easier imo, I will never buy another s90v knife, my altitude is a fishing knife now, I don’t like it as a hunting knife
Great information thank you. What steel do you recommend then? I also have an S30v and was considering D2

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
The worksharp is a very nice tool. I bought this one because I had to sharpen a lot of scissors for work, but it works great on my knives too. Its particularly good for putting an edge on difficult to sharpen steels.

I can get a very edge working through a grit progression of different belts. I start with either a 220 or 400 grit belt, then go to 1000 grit, then finish with 1500 or 2000. I usually strop with a homemade kangaroo leather strop and a very fine paste from 3000 to 8000 grit. My only gripe with the worksharp is that even though the sharpening guides are rubber coated, they still leave faint marks that run the length of the bevels. It doesnt bother me on my own working knives, but if I want to use it on one of my own hand made knives, I cant avoid putting a mark on the brade.