Kid carrier/cargo panel

dotman

WKR
I messed around with that but was never really happy with it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What didn't you like? I can get it mounted rock solid, set it down on the ground with a kid in it etc. Really it is no different then what it started out as other then now having the best frame used which has increase my comfort.

For the past 4 years I've used a kelty kid hauler that I removed the harness and belt from and jus strap to my Kifaru frame using a grabit and 2 lash straps. Super secure and there is a solid back for the kids. I got mine on sale from REI for around $50.
Yep same here. No regrets either!

Cool idea. You might want to make sure the width of the CP at the seating area doesn't end up restricting circulation for the kiddos after a while riding back there. I've done a lot of hours with a Kelty kid hauler and even with the narrower seat area it can be an issue.

A pair of foot stirrups that attach like gun bearers underneath the belt pouches on the belt might give a kid a comfortable leg resting position and keep blood flowing to the lower extremities better. They'd have a slight bend in there knees and less pressure on the back of the legs.

Just food for thought.....

CoHiCntry

WKR
Neat idea, way to go! I too carried a Kelty around for years with my kids. They are too big and carry their own packs now. The only thing I noticed that might be an issue is they are sitting so low that they are staring right at your back which is only a couple inches from their face. Especially the little one. The nice thing about the Kelty or similar kid carrier packs is they sit up high where they can see around. I'm thinking a little one would get pretty cranky for any extended trip having to sit that close and staring at your back all the time? I wonder if they could ride backwards in it so they get a better view? I like Dotmans idea of attaching the Kelty to his Kifaru. I'd be trying that if I was still carrying little ones around!

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
What didn't you like? I can get it mounted rock solid, set it down on the ground with a kid in it etc. Really it is no different then what it started out as other then now having the best frame used which has increase my comfort.
It was pretty bulky if I remember correctly.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work.! I need to make one for my son, have my old cargo chair but would rather have him facing forward, so maybe adding a panel might work.

dotman

WKR
It was pretty bulky if I remember correctly.

Yeah hard not to be but helps when going on a long hike. Kids still need to stretch their legs as they get older but my daughter used to sleep in it when we would go on hikes.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah hard not to be but helps when going on a long hike. Kids still need to stretch their legs as they get older but my daughter used to sleep in it when we would go on hikes.
Oh ya for sure. The main issues were at places like zoos where I had to navigate crowds.