Kifaru 6 Man Tipi Advice

I'm wanting to get a Tipi this year for hunting in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I want to use it for both gun and bow season and even some family camping. I really want to get one I can get 3 guys, stove and gear in. Four guys in a pinch. I think I want a Kifaru, I love their products.

I was hoping the 6 man would fit the bill and I was wondering if any of you divide up the tent, poles and stove and pack in to distribute the weight.

What do you use for ground cloth for your sleeping bag.

Thanks guys, I really love this forum.

ahlgringo

WKR
3 guys and stove and gear- you need at least the 8 man in my opinion, and yes you can split up the pole, stove, etc. i have an 8 man that two if us carried in a goat hunt last year. Worked great but was a little overkill for 2. A 6 man would have been great for that. As far as groundcloth i use a piece if tyvek under the pad, lots of guys dont use anything or some run a bivy sack. Hope that helps- but biggest suggestion is not to try and squeeze 3 or 4 in a six man with gear and stove.

rayporter

WKR
i got a 12 for that reason

the six is kept strictkly for 2

i started with an 8 but decided to go overboard in opposite directions-

For 3 guys and hunting gear I would get a 8 man If not a 12 man.

A 6 man is really good for 2 guys and gear.

I've owned at some point a 6 man, 8 man, and 12 man!
I always get upgrading to the bigger shelter!

OP
Live Montana
That is what I was expecting t hear. Thanks so much guys. So lets say you want to go in with 3-5 guys and you want a bigger shelter how to you go about packing that bigger tipi around and divide up.. Just look for some suggestions and solutions you guys have worked out.

The more I read the more I keep coming back to the Tipi... I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2, that I was planning on using for solo hunts, but I love the tipi option.

Beastmode

WKR
For 3 guys and hunting gear I would get a 8 man If not a 12 man.

A 6 man is really good for 2 guys and gear.

I've owned at some point a 6 man, 8 man, and 12 man!
I always get upgrading to the bigger shelter!

This. An 8 man is good for 3 guys gear and stove. Too much wood or gear and it gets tight. 4 with gear and a stove is doable but tight.

Beastmode

WKR
How many guys are you getting in that 12 version. ?

Basic rule for me with gear stove and wood

4 man = solo
6 man = 2 guys
8 man = 3 guys
12 man = 4 guys

You can fit more but I like my own space. I don't like digging through everyone's gear. This is all packing on my back too. With stock for me and one other person I love the 8 man every time.

I agree with Beastmode. My rule of thumb is, take the size rating, divide by 2, then subtract 1.

We've had BT2, 4, 6, and 12. Sold the smaller ones, kept the 6 and 12. 6 is great for two and backpackable, 12 is a palace for two, with cots, table, wall-tent stove, dog, woodpile....