Kifaru annex zippered door?

I would say yes, if you are experienced in sewing. But if it were me, I would order some 1.1 oz. sylpoly from ripstopbytheroll and make a copy of the annex and put a zipper in it. And the stove jack if I wanted.
Then the integrity of the original annex remains. And you now have options. I had a paratarp with annex and used it for awhile with stove. I then stopped using the stove since I was hunting archery. Then the annex stayed home after it seemed like it was not necessary unless weather might be a problem.
Just my two cents.

It’s no more of a pain than trying to reach a zipper tucked way down against the ground. I’d just leave it if it was me.

You can’t cheat the mountain

My biggest issue with the Velcro on the Kifaru annex was that it required 2 hands to get it closed. Also I never trusted the way the grommet on the annex was supposed go over the trekking pole tip and nest into the Hypalonon the SuperTarp. Seemed like I was always one big wind gust away from a hole in my ST. Lastly I didn’t like running a stove in an ST as it was just too cramped and figured it was just a matter of time before I burned a hole something.

I went a different route and had BPWD put together a custom annex without a door or stove jack. It simply uses a SR buckle on the left and right sides of the bottom making it quick and easy to get in and out. I had him use a loop of grosgrain webbing at the peak that slides over my trekking pole tip and locks into the Hypalon pocket on the SuperTarp much more securely. Not having a door and eliminating the stove jack saved a couple of ounces too. I won't miss the stove jack for my uses and if I want to run a stove I will take my SO Cimarron or Kifaru 8 man.

Last edited:
Looks great. I have a couple questions if you dont mind. How are the sides of the annex attached to the ST? What is the distance between the front and back poles, length wise?

I tried a floorless shelter in the Mountain Smith LT and I had to stay on one side or the other of the poles. Seems to keep sliding out the bottom, side of the tarp after a while.

Back