KIFARU ARK FRAME review

Got to finally get mine out on the mountain today searching for antlers. Not a super heavy load but maybe 35 pounds.

This is bar none, the most comfortable pack I have personally ever used. The Duplex Lite just always left me wanting, but couldn’t figure out what. It just never hit that spot for me. This one feels like an extension of my body.

Mounted the Hoodlum on the Ark tonight. The simplicity is a big plus. Not much, if any different than any other Duplex when attaching the bag, other than the connectors. Got large belt pouches all over this pack. Plenty of space.

To get the perfect fit, and the correct line on the 3 bar slider, I put the load lifter strap on the bottom tab loop of the pack. This frame could be one of those tangible game changers that come around periodically.

So far I got nothing to not like about the frame and pack. This new discontinued Hoodlum I bought back in January, has a couple subtle differences compared to my older Hoodlum. It’s got an upper and lower exterior strap/buckles (perfect for a spotter or tripod or both, or a mount) and internal bladder pocket.

The next test will be to get some weight in it and see how it feels. My gut says it’s a pack frame for all seasons out here in the West.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
I got mine yesterday. I’m writing this from the perspective of using the same Kifaru pack for the last 14ish years. Out the gate the frame sheet I got looks different than the picture that Tony posted in the beginning. In his picture the frame sheet looks like what you think of carbon fiber looking like and mine looks just like the one on the website. Not sure it makes any difference and I don’t really care about it looking like a Honda civic hood if it performs the same but they do appear different.

The one concern I have is the texture of the frame sheet. It feels about like 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Just from it getting to me in the shipping box you can see where the shoulder straps rubbed on the frame. Unless that texture wears off I would think it’s going to cause abrasion issues over hundreds or thousands of miles especially on the back of the bag.

View attachment 681415

Another thing I noticed right out of the box was my frame has several nicks around the slots in the frame and one spot that has several scrapes or gouges in it.
View attachment 681420

View attachment 681424

I know squat about how you make carbon fiber stuff so maybe it happens when they pull it out of the mold or something. If it’s just from assembling it at the factory I have some concerns about how longevity as I plan to use it for the next decade and half like my last one. If it doesn’t effect the strength of the frame then I don’t really care.

The shoulder straps and waist belt definitely feel better than my old one. Lumbar is a little pronounced but I’m guessing I need to get some time under weight to break it in.
Looks weak! Not sure id trust that 15 miles deep!

Received my Ark Frame a few days ago and I have been getting it setup for me. Love it so far. That lumbar pad just sucks right into the small of my back and doesn't move!! I think this is the best frame I've owned. I might be selling a K4 in a few weeks! Time will tell.

What accessories are ya'll running on the laser cut molle? I am a medium belt size and can't get my Ivory Holster and Nalgene holder on the same side like I'm used to. I have a medium belt pouch on the opposite side and there is no room remaining there. Thinking about switching to a mini belt pouch to get more room.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have the medium belt as well and can fit a large Marsupial Gear belt pouch on one side by itself. On the other side, I have a magazine pouch and a Camelbak Nalgene bottle pouch behind it. A small Marsupial Gear belt pouch will also fit behind my magazine pouch.

Customer service was able to get back to my email on the nicks in my frame. They showed the pictures to their designer and they said that it won't mess with the integrity of the frame. In the finish process with carbon it will have minor nicks. The person I spoke to said their frame had similar nicks and they haven't had any crack any further but told me to reach out if I did. I attached a few pictures of the nicks I had in mine for reference for anyone else.
Wait is that the black marker outline where they cut out the frame?

MNnice32

FNG
Wait is that the black marker outline where they cut out the frame?
I'm not sure. It is actually gouges and pieces missing and while I don't much about carbon just looks like blow out spots from when they cut the tab holes or something.

Outside of those nicks I couldn't be happier. About 20 miles with it and it gets more comfortable after each hike. Honestly knowing they said integrity isn't impacted and they would make it right if something happened, I'm treating it like getting a new pair of boots. Got the first ding out of the way already and ready to put it through it's paces.

And for those asking about belt sizing I'm 38 waist with a medium belt and I'm able to cinch it down pretty tight maybe 2 inches left before it can't be cinched any tighter.

received mine today. Here’s my tall person perspective:

Comparing height between it at a 26” duplex lite
IMG_6252.jpeg

Played around with ride height and started from the top working my way down the bottom. Last I checked I was a ~20” or a bit more torso being taller at 6’7” and 250lb build. Achieved good load lifter angle putting the straps down to the bottom where I believe putting weight in it will still ride well and achieve load lift.

Shoulder straps seem to be 1” longer than the long duplex lites if we are taking the measurement from the top load lifter seam. Even with the straps bottomed out on the frame this seems to be comfortable. I wore my duplex lite with the long straps touching the top of the lumbar pad to get the same ride height. Straps are a hair wider but new foam seems to be about the same thickness and feel.

Hip belt seems to be about 1” longer and has a more cupping feeling around the front of your hips.
Midline seam seems to be about 1cm higher than the previous duplex lite. Overall feels very good.

Lumbar pad is wider and flatter. Has less of a contour comparing to the duplex lite convex shape. Very firm feel. Curious how this performs.

IMG_6266.jpeg

Laser cut molle is a woven almost plastic like material. It’s got a nice feel to it and I think it will hold up well. Med belt was 5 slots wide.

I ended up choking the k clip straps through the frame hole instead of plating with the tag ends for my Styker XL. I’ll have to use the tag ends for my Dall. No issues with either really.

IMG_6265.jpeg

Now to decide if I sell a near new duplex lite training pack and run just the arc for everything. Time will tell.

Bcleck90

WKR
I ended up choking the k clip straps through the frame hole instead of plating with the tag ends for my Styker XL. I’ll have to use the tag ends for my Dall. No issues with either really.

Cool idea and should take up some of the slack between bag / frame with the Stryker XL. I'm going to try it on mine.

Does anyone know if they mentioned anything about selling just the lumbar pad from the ark and if it will fit the duplex light? Thats the only minor complaint Ive had about the duplex lumbar is that I wished it were firmer and less convex.

For the members of the assless army that have the ark....do you find it stick in your lower back better than the duplex lumbar?

Does anyone know if they mentioned anything about selling just the lumbar pad from the ark and if it will fit the duplex light? Thats the only minor complaint Ive had about the duplex lumbar is that I wished it were firmer and less convex.

For the members of the assless army that have the ark....do you find it stick in your lower back better than the duplex lumbar?
On there Q&A video on youtube he said that they still need to test the lumbar pad on the duplex light frame. He said the belt will fit, shoulder straps will not fit, lumbar pad is yet to be determined.

As a member of the assless army, I personally found that I actually prefer the duplex lite lumbar pad over the ARK. This is a real bummer to me, I really wanted the ARK to work for me but I went back and fourth hiking with both frames and the lumbar pad was the breaking point for me.

The lumbar pad on the ARK frame is much more of a square, the top edge has much more of a pronounced "edge" whereas the duplex lite is more subtle and rounded. What I noticed was for me, with no ass that sharper top edge of the lumbar pad on the ARK was taking the majority of the load, creating a pressure point. If while I was hiking I would sort of exaggerate the curve in my lower back, and stick my butt out, then the lumber pad felt like it made full contact with my lower back as it should. As far as sticking in place goes, The pad did seam to stick in place very well, I did not ever notice any slipping, I imagine it would have been even better yet if the entire pad was making proper contact with my lower back.

So for me and my build, the duplex lite lumbar pad was much more comfortable I'm a bit bummed about it. There were a lot of features about the ARK frame that I was excited about, but it just didn't fit me as well.

As a member of the assless army, I personally found that I actually prefer the duplex lite lumbar pad over the ARK. This is a real bummer to me, I really wanted the ARK to work for me but I went back and fourth hiking with both frames and the lumbar pad was the breaking point for me.

The lumbar pad on the ARK frame is much more of a square, the top edge has much more of a pronounced "edge" whereas the duplex lite is more subtle and rounded. What I noticed was for me, with no ass that sharper top edge of the lumbar pad on the ARK was taking the majority of the load, creating a pressure point. If while I was hiking I would sort of exaggerate the curve in my lower back, and stick my butt out, then the lumber pad felt like it made full contact with my lower back as it should. As far as sticking in place goes, The pad did seam to stick in place very well, I did not ever notice any slipping, I imagine it would have been even better yet if the entire pad was making proper contact with my lower back.

So for me and my build, the duplex lite lumbar pad was much more comfortable I'm a bit bummed about it. There were a lot of features about the ARK frame that I was excited about, but it just didn't fit me as well.

Ah, I was thinking the curvature of the duplex lumbar was part of the reason it slid, but I see what youre saying about the squared off edge creating a pressure point. Appreciate that response.

I think from a supply standpoint I can see in the coming years them using this foam across both platforms

I mean look they went to Ranger green and discontinued anything that wasn’t Xpac and Hunter orange

Ah, I was thinking the curvature of the duplex lumbar was part of the reason it slid, but I see what youre saying about the squared off edge creating a pressure point. Appreciate that response.
It might still be worth a shot for you. It may have been more of an issue with the profile of the frame, than the actual shape of the pad in my case. I didn't try swapping the lumbar pads between the two frames, (I probably should have). I think if the pad would have lined up better for me, I would have preferred it, the thickness and the consistency of the foam felt very nice.

JNDEER

WKR
received mine today. Here’s my tall person perspective:

Comparing height between it at a 26” duplex lite
View attachment 686923

Played around with ride height and started from the top working my way down the bottom. Last I checked I was a ~20” or a bit more torso being taller at 6’7” and 250lb build. Achieved good load lifter angle putting the straps down to the bottom where I believe putting weight in it will still ride well and achieve load lift.

Shoulder straps seem to be 1” longer than the long duplex lites if we are taking the measurement from the top load lifter seam. Even with the straps bottomed out on the frame this seems to be comfortable. I wore my duplex lite with the long straps touching the top of the lumbar pad to get the same ride height. Straps are a hair wider but new foam seems to be about the same thickness and feel.

Hip belt seems to be about 1” longer and has a more cupping feeling around the front of your hips.
Midline seam seems to be about 1cm higher than the previous duplex lite. Overall feels very good.

Lumbar pad is wider and flatter. Has less of a contour comparing to the duplex lite convex shape. Very firm feel. Curious how this performs.

View attachment 686925

Laser cut molle is a woven almost plastic like material. It’s got a nice feel to it and I think it will hold up well. Med belt was 5 slots wide.

View attachment 686926

Now to decide if I sell a near new duplex lite training pack and run just the arc for everything. Time will tell.
Thanks for posting the actual difference. Still think it’s crazy that 98% of customers need 25”.

Are you able to put the ARK lumbar pad on the DL?

Just curious, and maybe I already missed it, has anybody tried to put a different companies bag on this frame? Personally, I’ve always struggled to like the bag offerings from Kifaru, but this frame looks really tempting. An Exo or SG frame on this frame would likely make me very happy.