KIFARU bikini/duplex, Stone Glacier Krux

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for guys with real experience with all three frames and packs. Learned the hard way so called "ultralight carbon" packs are useless when the SHTF. Liked my MR Metcalf and 6500, but just didnt fit the bill.

Right now im looking at

Stone Glacier

Kifaru Bikini or Duplex?

Would consider a MR again but despite multiple attempts I couldnt get a load to sit right

I got two other friends in the same boat, we were all foolish enough to follow hype, we all learned through PAIN lol.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bikini with composite stays and a duplex with aluminum stays. The bikini after a season of use I realized I have a cartoonish curve in my back and noticed the pack wouldn't make contact with my mid to upper back. This is no fault of the pack, I simply have a REALLY abnormal curve in my back.

I ended up purchasing the Duplex frame with aluminum stays so I could tweak them to fit my back. I also simply wanted to feel the differences in the frames. This has paid off as I now have a perfect fit and a ridiculous amount of comfort with heavy loads.

I have no preference as of now since I haven't tried the bikini with aluminum stays. But I will say that the bikini is noticeably lighter. The duplex is of course more rigid and the duplex seems to absorb heavy loads extraordinarily well. I suspect if you weren't anticipating carrying over 70 or so pounds very often the bikini would be the most comfortable choice. Also I could see bowhunters appreciating the articulation of the bikini frame too.

As far as stone glacier, my hunting partner has one (the 5200 I think) and likes it but I have no experience with it personally. Just remember I don't pretend to have the miles on my packs that some of these guys do here on Rokslide. For example, Luke, Aron, and Sam Millard have a ton of experience with both bikini and duplex. I believe Aron and Sam's personal preference is the duplex but they both anticipate carrying heavy loads often according to their articles. Good luck.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the SG frame with the 3 pc belt. The newer belt made a huge difference for me. I believe Kurt intended to have a little more load on the shoulders that the Kifaru guys recommend for their frames. Maybe keep that mind if you have a preference one way or the other. I packed about 115#-120# on it. It carries more than I can. I am really happy with the SG, but I have never had a Kifaru frame. I am not a gear whore, so I will likely take this SG to the grave with me unless it wears out or fails. Then I will likely try something new.

MP.hunter

FNG
I may hit the purchase button on a Duplex/DT2 with guide lid tomorrow, anyone on here going to change my mind to Stone Glacier at this point? I was also considering the SG 5100.

muleman

WKR
anyone on here going to change my mind to Stone Glacier at this point? I was also considering the SG 5100.

I wouldn't look at it that way. Packs are very personal and someone's opinion won't make a pack work for you. I've had two duplex frames and three Kifaru bags. For me I personally prefer the Stone Glacier.

See if you can test drive some packs locally before ordering. In the past couple years I have let people fiddle with Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Dana Designs, and Eberlestock packs I've had on hand.

If you can't find some packs locally then order your Kifaru and run it for a season. If it works for you great! If it doesn't, sell it and try another brand. Your opinion is the only one that matters in the end.

MP.hunter

FNG
Thanks for the input, I feel I can't do anymore research at this point as I have read so many posts and reviews and talked to the companies directly. For me it came down to how people carried their meat and if people enjoyed the load shelf that SG uses.

lee peet

FNG
Ive got a duplex, bikini and krux frame. I really like the sg loadshelf and complete pack but also like the kifaru's. Hard to go wrong with either. My perfect pack would be the sky 7400krux frame and kifaru hipbelt.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
To the OP,
All three will carry more than most people can, period. You will really need to put some miles on with weight in them, to see what fits you the best. Both companies will do their absolute best when it comes to taking care of you. If you live in Washington, I can get you all three to test if you would like.

OP
RedStag

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Im in BC, majority of the guys i know run Kuiu (never again) and MR

I came to a decision to order a DT1 with some extra pockets.