Kifaru Duplex Lite vs Stone Glacier XCurve Frame

I'm transitioning from a very well used and abused Mystery Ranch 6500 on a nice frame and looking to upgrade to a Kifaru or SG pack system. Are the current versions of either of their frames (Duplex Lite/XCurve) considered superior to the other?

It seems the Kifaru's get a whole lot of love on this forum, but many other forums are pretty split or even favor SG. The general advice over the past few years has seemed to be Kifaru has more organization and SG is lighter and simpler. I also see a lot of people that favor the new Duplex Lite belt system over the SGs, is it that much better?. I see a lot of comparisons between last generation Kifaru and last generation SG, but not a whole lot comparing the two most current versions.

I also live in the Midwest, so not a lot of opportunities to try on in person. Will be 5 day back country camping, looking on the bag side of things at something around the 5500+ mark (Mountain Warrior/Sky 5900 or the next size bigger)

Any anecdotal evidence would greatly help!

jmav58

WKR
I use a duplex lite frame with a nomad 2 bag and before this, I used a 40/56 Stone Glacier on the Krux Evo Frame. They've been my two favorite packs as far as comfort goes, but I like the Kifaru a tad more just because of the hip belt and shoulder straps. Everything is preference. You'll get 100 different answers for this question, but it really comes down to you. As far as bags go, my nomad 2 has treated me well for day hikes, but you could stuff a dry sack between the wings to make it multi day. With kifaru there are several options for bags.

Frame comfort is a personal thing. I haven't used the new kifaru frames so cant comment but ultimately that is probably most important. I prefer the SG bag designs, weights, and meat shelf functionality to Kifaru's options though.

Kotaman

WKR
I own several bags from both companies on both of those frame platforms. Here's my take:

When I want to "go light" ie sheep hunting, I find myself taking my Stone Glacier almost exclusively. When I know I'm going to be "packing a load" ie moose/elk hunting, I find myself taking my Kifaru almost exclusively. For me the Kifaru flat out carries a heavy load better. The waist belt is the besty in the industry. In daypack mode, I prefer Stone Glacier by a large margin. Super light and feels like you are carrying a small daypack.

On almost every sheep pack out, I wish I had my Kifaru. On every run and gun elk hunt, I wish I had my SG, until it comes time to pack the animal. I will sacrifice a tough pack out on a sheep hunt for the long term hiking comfort of SG. I LOVE how they go into daypack mode. On a moose hunt, I'm going to take the Kifaru everytime.

For my style of hunting and the types of hunts I go, I'd hate to be without either. My advice to you is to look at the types of hunts you do. If it is mostly light duty stuff where saving weight is the premium, go SG. If you plan on hunting the big stuff and doing hunts where you carry your kit on your back for the most of the hunt, go Kifaru. For me, I LOVE having them both.

North

FNG
I have both. I just picked up the XCurve as it seemed the Kifaru was constantly sliding down and giving me a stiff neck with light loads. Side by side the quality and fit and finish are both comparable. The comfort is going to depend more on how you fit the frame vs quality of construction as they are both top of the line. Kifaru offers different stay options which will alter the back profile and SG offers 3 different frames with different back profiles, so you have options with each manufacturer. I tried the SG EVO and the XCurve side by side and the XCurve was immediately noticably more comfortable on me. Kifaru Duplex Lite and XCurve side by side there is less of a pronounced difference. If I was in your position I’d decide based on bag choice or just order both and return one. Just be sure you try it with weight and spend some time with it. You won’t really know what’s right for you until you get it on your back. I actually just ordered an EXO as well to try out. The madness never ends...

I currently have a SG Xcurve pack and have owned two SG Xcurve packs and not only believe in Stone Glacier, but also feel they carry weight very well and keeps the pack from sliding down your back. With that said, I just ordered a Kifaru lite hoodlum and am pretty excited to try it out. I really like Kifaru and want to support them. Although SG packs are lighter, in reality we are only talking about 1 pound heavier and for me that is just not that big of a difference considering all my gear is ultra light. I look at it this way if i'm packing out an animal and my pack weights 90 - 110lbs, I honestly do not think I will notice the difference between 1 pound. Now if the SG fits you better or the same as the Kifaru, maybe the 1 pound weight savings is a good reason to go with SG.