Kifaru Mountain Rambler - multi day set ups?

schmalzy

WKR
Running a rambler for the first time and have it set up like this:
9129da5ae9978bf7377652efcf8c4fd9.jpg

Have in the grab it I have an XL sea to summit dry compression bag with a OR alpine bivy, pad and WM Apache. Main bag I have food, cook kit, puffy and rain gear. Left side pocket is tripod and helinox chair. Right side is vanguard spotter and HMG tarp. Assorted gear in lid.

Anyone have theirs set up differently? I like having my sleep set up streamlined and in a dedicated compartment/area.

Jimss

WKR
Depending on where you are hunting and the weather you may want your rain gear in a quicker to access area? If it rains a lot I put mine in side pouch or lid.

Last edited:
OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I also add two medium belt pouches the the back of the Rambler.

What do you run in there? I feel like I have room in my lid for most of what I need but I could definitely see having another pouch just for
Organization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I like that idea with first aid and shooting kit. How do you have the top connected? I have some clips to keep it snug when not using meat shelf or scabbard.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Depending on where you are hunting and the weather you may want your rain gear in a quicker to access area? If it rains a lot I put mine in side pouch or lid.

It’s at the top. All I do is open lid. But I’ve definitely thought about it a bunch.

Jimss

WKR
If you open your top/lid and it's raining you'll potentially get stuff wet? Also, if you are hunting brushy country or the outside of your pack is wet there may be water that runs off and gets inside your pack? I do everything in my power to keep the inside of my pack closed and dry when it's wet outside. If it doesn't rain or you get it out before it rains...no big deal where your raingear is located.

I hunt Colo, Wyo, and Alaska quite a bit and it seems like it can rain....dry out....rain....etc several times during a single day or afternoon. In that situation it's good to have quick and easy access to raingear on the outside of your pack. If I'm hunting when it's super wet I often use an ultra=light pack rain cover.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Good feedback Jimss, thanks a ton. Going to work that into layout.