kifaru timberline 2.... your thoughts

handwerk

WKR
So I'm looking for a somewhat lightweight pack with a couple outside pockets (spotter, tripod, snacks, misc.) that will mainly serve as a daypack, but can handle a couple hour hike out with a boned out deer or a elk quarter, yet could also handle the goods for a 2-3 day over nighter on the mountain. Is the timberline 2 that pack?

bbrown

WKR
Yup - that's exactly what it was designed for. Love my T3 but am realizing the T2 would be better all around. Do love how small the T3 is though most of the time

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I'll say yes also. I can load mine up for six or more days. I also use it as a day pack when hunting near home. No empty trips back to the truck after the kill.

Yes, Yes & Yes. Love the T2 and would not trade it for nothing. I would easily consider this a 4-5 day pack.

lintond

WKR
I've had mine packed up for a 9 day hunt and still had room for a little more if I wanted. Added the medium and large belt pouches on each side.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Easily do 4-5 days, and more with a pod or two.

I think anyone that has pretty UL gear could get all their hunting and backpacking gear for a 4-5 day hunt into a DT3 even.

That said when it comes to hauling that gear AND hauling out an animal then I would say DT1 would be a better choice. And in reality the weight savings between the DT3 and DT1 is minimal and the size of either can be compressed down to dang near the same size. These are backpack hunting packs not just meant for hauling your backpack hunt setup in and out of the woods, there are a bunch of much less expensive options.

Thought I wanted a DT3 and a DT1 at one time so I got one of each. However I never found that the DT1 was too big, but I did on occasion wish for more space in the DT3. Knowing that I don't think that the DT2 would be the answer between the two either. Its a backpack hunting pack having a pack that has the capacity to get your gear and you kill out in the same load is very nice.

dotman

WKR
I think anyone that has pretty UL gear could get all their hunting and backpacking gear for a 4-5 day hunt into a DT3 even.

That said when it comes to hauling that gear AND hauling out an animal then I would say DT1 would be a better choice. And in reality the weight savings between the DT3 and DT1 is minimal and the size of either can be compressed down to dang near the same size. These are backpack hunting packs not just meant for hauling your backpack hunt setup in and out of the woods, there are a bunch of much less expensive options.

Thought I wanted a DT3 and a DT1 at one time so I got one of each. However I never found that the DT1 was too big, but I did on occasion wish for more space in the DT3. Knowing that I don't think that the DT2 would be the answer between the two either. Its a backpack hunting pack having a pack that has the capacity to get your gear and you kill out in the same load is very nice.

Good advice here, the GIF had me when the Highcamp 4800 bag came out with great ideas but at a 3oz weight penalty I sent it back and went with the 7k. It packs down smaller then any off the shelf daypack and is easy to organize. Thought I might miss my T1 but in the end the Highcamp works great and has become my perfect all around bag.

My vote is for the DT1. I have yet to see anyone post or hear anyone say they regret getting the biggest bag but have heard many regret getting to small of a bag.

boom

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and ordered up a T2, with OD being the color I saved 20%

cool!!

sadly, my T2 has been meat-less. i did a mock up with bags of rice, and i can get a crazy amount of gear on the outside. so, i hope i never need a T1. i dont ever want to carry that much :) so in summary, all those loose straps jiggling around, pay off huge dividends in mounting options outside the pack.

to add, i havent had so much time with my pack with this being my first year.."daypack mode" makes little sense to me. every pack i've owned from my cheap jansport to any gregory has straps i can cinch down onto an partially empty pack. again, unless i was doing something wrong..i hate the internal bottlenecks from all the cinches. and all the tag ends from the tight cinches, i need to learn to manage them.

if i am only day hunting, i will use a real daypack. not the T2.

I do mostly desert mule deer hunting. With my BT3, I can pretty easily pack in all my hunting gear plus enough water for 4 days into the pack. That's 20L of water. I haven't had the fortune of getting a muley with the pack yet, but I've tested it out and will be quite able to bone-out the meat into a BOMB bag and put it on the Kifaru meat shelf between the pack and frame (using a piece of foam to insulate it from my back heat).

I am quite minimalist in my camping gear, but I don't think I could fit deer plus camp into the T3 pack itself, fwiw. If you're looking to be able to fit both easily in the bag, I'd strongly consider a bigger pack.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that you are asking about a t2 but how does that compare to that the Mystery Ranch Metcalf? they are both about the same size and weight and price, is it a ford chevy thing?

Kotaman

WKR
I understand that you are asking about a t2 but how does that compare to that the Mystery Ranch Metcalf? they are both about the same size and weight and price, is it a ford chevy thing?

I have both the T2 (XTL lid) and the Metcalf with the Nice Lid. I can get quite a bit more "stuff" in the T2 and the T2 APPEARS to weigh much less. I say "appears" because maybe it just carries that much better. (I do believe it ways a bit less as well)

My two issues with MR packs is the weight of the frame and load lifters. The bags are bombproof and well thought out, but the NICE frame is a boat anchor IMO. The load lifter can also be a problem on the MR as I find them non functioning for my height and I am only 6'2. Don't get me wrong...The Metcalf is an awesome pack and if one wasn't comparing it to a Kifaru I'd say it is at the top of it's class, but when you put it up against the T2...Game over.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Kotaman! I am actualy in a debate with my self over those two packs along with the Kuiu 5200, and a stone glacier in roughly the same size, and will probaly start a thread over it at some point. The biggest problem that I have is at 6' 6" and around 265 I am bigger than your average guy and I donot want to drop 600+ on a pack that might not work (got to keep the wife happy) anyway thanks for the info!

bbrown

WKR
At that height you need to seriously look into Kifaru. Not sure how the Stone Glacier packs do for a guy that tall but I would say MR is a no go for sure.

Kotaman

WKR
Thanks Kotaman! I am actualy in a debate with my self over those two packs along with the Kuiu 5200, and a stone glacier in roughly the same size, and will probaly start a thread over it at some point. The biggest problem that I have is at 6' 6" and around 265 I am bigger than your average guy and I donot want to drop 600+ on a pack that might not work (got to keep the wife happy) anyway thanks for the info!

I agree with bbrown. I would not even consider a KUIU or MR at your size. I don't know enough about Stone Glacier to know how they fit a tall guy, but the packs in general get great reviews. To be safe, I would definately go Kifaru.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the helpfull info on all of this. don't really want to high jack the thread though. I will start one soon.... hopefully after I see what 2014 brings to the table.

Shrek

WKR
E Wa Hunter , have you measured your torso ? Put your hads on your hips and your thumbs across your back. From the top of your hips along your thumbs to the center is the bottom point and the prominent point at the base of the neck is the top point . Run a tape measure along your spine between the two points to get a measurement. If you have really long legs your torso may not be extremely long. I , unfortunately, have short legs and an extremely long torso which makes finding a pack to fit very hard. A kifaru did fit me but needed some custom adjustments. I would bet that if you have a 36" inseam and you are 6'6" the kifaru frame will adjust to fit you well. Get the measurement and talk to the kifaru hunting rep and he will get you fitted as well as you can be fitted. The Kifaru rep hangs out on here A LOT ! Most other pack companies packs seem to top out around a 22" torso but a Kifaru will do a legitimate 23" torso or more maybe. It's kind of hard to get an exact number because of the variation in the way people measure themselves. Anyway , call Kifaru and talk to Aron and I bet you will get the best fitting pack that can be had. They really do care that every customer gets a pack that not just has performance potential but actually performs for you.

HUNTMAN

FNG
It will do 5 days with good gear. Heres mine loaded for 5 days. Plus snowshoes gun and full body Mnt goat cape. Great pack. HUNT

Attachments

• DSCF1122.jpg
    DSCF1122.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF1130.jpg
    DSCF1130.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 204