KIFARU TUT PYRAMID - How bad ass is it?

So I was about to hit the buy button on a Sawtooth mainly for its height and durability. From the helpful posts in this forum, it appears that its weight difference with the SO Cimarron is much smaller than the stated 8 ounces if you're willing to be creative. Now this new shelter has surfaced on the interwebs. Does anyone have any intel on its final specs and availability?

- 2 Person + Stove
- Square bottom tipi
- Somewhat vertical side walls
- 6 feet 6 inches in height
- 4 piece aluminum center pole
- 16 MSR Groundhogs
- Guylines at all 4 corners and side walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkisdmYHKU4

If it comes in at a weight below the Sawtooth - it could be an epic new shelter.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
It's showing available in the Kifaru store now.
Listed at 3lb 12 ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus it comes in at $150 less. My concern is height on both as I'd like to be able to stand up even if hunched over a bit (I'm 6'5" without boots). When I get more serious about getting one or the other later this year I hope to check them out in person and maybe talk someone into letting me borrow one for a trip.

Last edited:
pretty neat lookng, as i get older ,i want to be able to stand up .I'll see how my new cimarron works out

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A sawtooth isn't much more than the tut and I would be willing to bet bucks the wind better due to tent profiles. I would pick the sawtooth over any pyramid shelter for truly windy conditions. And 70 sq feet is pretty small compared to the sawtooth IMO. Yes it has straighter side walls but putting gear on the outside of the shelter where it's lower makes use of that lower sections of the tent. I was hoping the tut would either be lighter or larger and the same weight

Last edited:
i guess I am a little confused... I love my Kifaru packs and would never recommend anything else to anyone... But when it comes to tipi shelters I feel like they are kinda over priced. My Ti Goat Vertex 6.5 has 1.5X the Sq footage, is as tall, 5 oz lighter, and the same price as the Tut. I have had ZERO issues with it and have used it a lot with and without a stove. I am not sure if the material is that much different or what, but I just don't see how the kifaru tipis are worth the extra cash and weight.

Joe

Looks like a nice shelter with a lot of positive aspects.

I don't understand all the Secret Squirrel BS about their fabric. Why not just explain what it is, rather than what it isn't?

Their fabric is not secret, Aron talked about it in the gritty bowmen podcasts.

From what I understand it is a military grade silnylon that is extremely durable and waterproof for its weight. It sounds as if they are one of the only manufacturers to have access to it.

I look forward to hearing some real life reviews after this fall / winter. This is the first thing that Kifaru has come out with that has caught my eye since the Nomad / EMR11. I'm still running the BCS 2 with the zip in panel for late season and winter backpacking. I've never weighed my shelter with the zip in panel but I'd bet it's tipping the scales at over 5 pounds. Time to start saving again. :)

welpro222

WKR
I don't understand all the Secret Squirrel BS about their fabric. Why not just explain what it is, rather than what it isn't?

Kifaru uses USA sourced materials and from what Aron has talked about it is very strong and durable stuff. Typical USA made= high cost, but most likely better product, vs overseas made= lower cost, but questionable quality. With that and the Kifaru's outstanding customer service, you get what you pay for.

colonel00

WKR
Sorry, couldn't watch the video (yet). It's only 70sqft in space? That is tiny. I could swear that the previous thread claimed it was 10x10. How can you get 6'8" in height with such a little footprint?

K, watched the video. If that's 6'8", how tall are those guys?

Last edited:

DaveC

WKR

I'm sure its very nice US-made silnylon with UV inhibitors and high hydrostatic head. For me they'd get more credit for simply saying so.

It is difficult to account for why something like the Tut is ~80% more expensive than comparable shelters from other companies who also sew things in house to a high standard. 8-10" more height and different side guypoints don't distinguish it that much.

Sorry, couldn't watch the video (yet). It's only 70sqft in space? That is tiny. I could swear that the previous thread claimed it was 10x10. How can you get 6'8" in height with such a little footprint?

I thought it read 10 X 10 as well but after going back and looking again it's only 100" X 100". That does tighten things up quite a bit for two guys, gear and a stove.

K, watched the video. If that's 6'8", how tall are those guys?

Neither are short, but I was thinking the same thing. Colton did say they were setting it up on the lowest setting to start with; my guess is that you could pitch it higher at the cost of a little floor space.

I don't watch podcasts, so wasn't aware.

It would make a lot of sense to explain the fabric on the actual website, where they instead go to length explaining 'what it isn't'.

Anyway, it does look like a great shelter.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is lighter and has more usable space.
A sawtooth isn't much more than the tut and I would be willing to bet bucks the wind better due to tent profiles. I would pick the sawtooth over any pyramid shelter for truly windy conditions. And 70 sq feet is pretty small compared to the sawtooth IMO. Yes it has straighter side walls but putting gear on the outside of the shelter where it's lower makes use of that lower sections of the tent. I was hoping the tut would either be lighter or larger and the same weight

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll answer any questions you guys have about the material.

We tested other materials when designing the Tut and the biggest difference was the amount of stretch from other materials.....it was a lot more than what we are currently using.

The abrasion resistance and waterproofness wasn't bad on the other material, but the amount it stretched caused failures in areas that our current material did not.

The price difference is definitely from the material, as what we use is almost twice the price. The photos of the Tut on the website are actually of a different material (what some of the other companies are using), but it did not hold up as well as I had hoped and we decided to stay with that has been working for us already.

Looks like a nice shelter with a lot of positive aspects.