Kifaru vs Stone Glacier: Most versatile

R_burg

WKR
I guess it depends on what a person considers versatile. Kifaru offerd more bags and more pockets and pouches to add on. Some see this as a plus, I personally don't and and cant stand having pockets and pouched hanging from pals webbing. Now my SG is versatile in the sense that I can throw a couple items in it and compress it down for a summer day hike and it is not floppy or strappy and I can get in it without undoing a bunch of buckles. I can laod it with a weeks worth of gear, drop camp and be right back to a sleek daypack very easily and quickly and at anytime in between I can separate the bag from the frame and haul some meat. For me the SG does everything I need while still staying very functional and sleek.
I skimmed the thread, sorry if you have already made your decision OP, but as to your original question I think this is the best answer I saw.

Kifaru and SG are both very versatile, but in different ways. I ended up staying with SG and wouldn't have it any other way, for how *I* like to use my pack its the best option by far. I love how my 6900 feels like a legit 3000ci pack and a legit 7000ci pack all in one.

We all love gear so I look for an excuse to buy a smaller SG to put on the frame all the time, and I still can't even flirt with the idea, as the large packs work so well when compressed.

All that being said Kifarus are awesome and very versatile, but not as good for how I define the term for my uses.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I have both kifaru and S/G. I like both company's offerings and customer service. I have a woodsman on a tactical 22", a 14'r, a 26" hunter duplex but recently sold my mw and may sell the frame, and a s/g x-curve sky 5900. Also have a pods8 custom pack in kryptek for the x-curve, and an avail. Yeah a gear junkie. I use them for different purposes. If I could only have one pack I would choose the 5900 on the x-curve as the most versatile do-all choice. I don't have to choose though, and I enjoy each of them, and may try others as well in the future. I have had medical issues and never got to hunt the mw, but it is essentially the same as the 5900 and the custom pack I had pods make so I thinned the herd of the mw.

One of my family members bought a stone glacier and compare it to his Kifaru. He loaded them both up with 60 lbs. He found the Kifaru to be much more comfortable with the weight.

mcseal2

WKR
I think packs have hit a point where they are kinda like boots. Several companies make great ones but they don't all fit everyone the same. The quality is there from several companies, it's just finding what frame fits you best and then deciding on a bag from there. I'd try to find someone who has each frame you are considering if at all possible and walk a few miles with some weight in them. I haven't tried Stone Glacier but started with Eberlestock and now have an Exo and Kifaru I use.

These and other brands like Exo Mountain are great. I have tried Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo. I went with Kifaru. That’s what worked for me the best. It was a no brainer for me when I tried the Stone Glacier vs the Kifaru. When I loaded a few pounds and put each pack on my back I instantly knew which one was right for me. But I had to try both of them on. My recommendations to you is to try both. You simply have to. You’ll be glad you did. Otherwise you might end up disappointed. That’s what happened to me when SG was he first one that I received at my place.

Note: I am not saying SG is not awesome. I like their packs a lot, and I know people who just love them over the other brands. It just means it wasn’t the best fit for my body. Our body structures are all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned several of each brand as well as multiple other brands and the Sky 5900 is the best bag I have ever used. I am not a fan of the Kifaru bags and don't like the added on pockets and pouches design. On the other hand the Duplex frame is the most comfortable frame I have tried out of many. So I run a SG bag on a Duplex frame and get the best of both worlds.

Did you have to do any special configurations to attach the SG bag on your duplex frame?

FURMAN

WKR
I did not read every post in the thread. I have had all the major players. I will be running a SG this fall. Having said that I would have to say Kifaru is the most versatile. Kifaru has so many different configurations it is overwhelming. I just found a bag from SG that will cover all the bases for me so that is what I will be using.

bmart2622

WKR
Yes, I added a hypalon sleeve to the bag so it mounts just like any Kifaru bag does and then I made compression straps so it has all the functionality as the bag had on a SG frame.
Did you have to do any special configurations to attach the SG bag on your duplex frame?

Yes, I added a hypalon sleeve to the bag so it mounts just like any Kifaru bag does and then I made compression straps so it has all the functionality as the bag had on a SG frame.

Do you mind sharing pictures of it?

Hate to revive an old thread but...I initially ordered a SG sky 5900, returned it and went for a Kifaru Reckoning. I found the kifaru more comfortable with heavy loads and liked being able to add to the pack, since i use it for more than hunting. The beaver tail especially (Grab-it), which im very fond of. At the time it was also hard to get some accessories (they would be out of stock for long periods) and i didnt like the Nalgene bottle holder. The SG is lighter and feels less bulky than the kifaru (like many pointed out) but that wasnt enough for me to tip the scale. Hope it helps folks in the future.