kifaru Zulu for Mule dear hunt ??

LionHead

WKR
Anyone here used a Zulu as their main pack/meat hauler for Mule deer ?

Can't get my hands in a proper load hauler this season and this will be my 1st time backpack hunting And the Zulu is the biggest bag I have.

the area I've been scouting hase some decent deer activity about 5 miles in .

my plan is to hike in with the zulu and a few expantion pockets (E&E and back pocket sized pouches)

and when I fill my tag ill move my camp gear the the pockets and carry meat inside the bag. the only thing staying inside the pack.would be my Hydration bladder and self inflating matteress.

everything else I use to bivi camp will.fit in the pockets.

I'm sure it won't be THE most comfortable but it should work

what are your thoughts ?

Browtine

WKR
The Omni suspension is more than capable of handling a boned out deer. I have no experience with the Zulu, but used to run the discontinued Siwash which was the hunting version of the current Navigator, both have the same Omni suspension as the Zulu. The Siwash would handle a load well.

Lots of stories over on Kifaru boards of folks hauling out deer with the Late Season.

I'd also look at pods over the E&E and back pouch. They can handle quite a bit and weigh a lot less. A large on the bottom and a medium on the back would handle quite a bit of gear when you're packing meat.

Last edited:
OP
LionHead

LionHead

WKR
The Omni suspension is more than capable of handling a boned out deer. I have no experience with the Zulu, but used to run the discontinued Siwash which was the hunting version of the current Navigator, both have the same Omni suspension as the Zulu. The Siwash would handle a load well.

Thanks for the input.

I'm definitely not worried about the pack, i know it'll handle anything i could through at it. more the size of it. Can i fit a boned out mule deer in a 3200CI pack minus self-inflatible pad and 2L bladder space?

As for Pods vs Back pouches I've actually picked up Dunamis Gear cargo hangers

7 oz for the medium
10.5 oz for the large

Theyre quite secure and hold all the gear i need em too:cool:

shaun

WKR
You should not have any issues at all. Especially in CA. When time comes and you are pulling trigger on pack get in touch with me if you want hands on with the Kifaru frames etc. I am only an hour south of you