Meat hauling question

I’ve always used the load shelf on my K2 and K3 frames. Typically I’ll pack two fronts, or a front and a rear elk quarter per trip.

Ive heard guys discuss loading meat in their bags instead of their meat shelf and the advantages sound interesting me.

Does anyone know how large a bag you need to accommodate two quarters? Is it even possible? What do you do with your camp on the last trip out? Stuff it inside the bag with the bloody meat or something else?

Curious to hear what some of you do who use this method.

Geewhiz

WKR
Why would you carry meat inside your bag when there is a load shelf built for hauling meat which keeps your bag clean and keeps the weight closer to your torso?

OP
Trade2hunt
Apparently many do. Helps keep load stable. Easier and quicker to load. Etc…

I’ve never done it but like I said there’s plenty of people who prefer it.

When I pack that shelf full and squeeze it I get meat bulging out random places so I can see how the bag would stabilize the load. Single loads are less noticeable but two quarters can get a bit sloppy for me.

dhatter9

FNG
Hauled a cow moose rear quarter inside my exo k4 7200. I could have fit both front quarters inside at the same time if I wanted, but I hauled them one at a time. I typically haul stuff on the load shelf, but I was tired and it was getting late. Just kept throwing moose in the main bag body to drag to the 4 wheeler. It worked great and all the blood washed out of the bag no problem.

Geewhiz

WKR
Apparently many do. Helps keep load stable. Easier and quicker to load. Etc…

I’ve never done it but like I said there’s plenty of people who prefer it.

When I pack that shelf full and squeeze it I get meat bulging out random places so I can see how the bag would stabilize the load. Single loads are less noticeable but two quarters can get a bit sloppy for me.
Carrying full bone in quarters, even 2 or 3 at a time, I have never had issues with “meat bulging out random places”. More so with boned out meat in game bags, but I use a mystery ranch and the strap orientation makes it plenty doable. No experience with exo. You couldn’t pay me to use a bag without a load shelf. YMMV

Marble

WKR
If I have to put meat in my bag, either the meat or the other items have a bag to keep a blood barrier in there.

I'm not concerned about getting my bag dirty. It gets washed post-season every year.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Tradchef

WKR
Man I use a 5000 or bigger. I used the reckoning for many years and it was outstanding. I use the SG 5900 now and can hold plenty in the bag and on the load shelf as well. I’ve always preferred meat in the bag. I use an OR dry bag and put my quarters in that and it works great.