Killing time

Manosteel

WKR
Wife has the stomach flu, kids are with grandparents so what better way to spend an evening solo than to organize and wieght your gear.

is it hunting season yet?

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
pretty sure that it looks like a fold up plate or bowl from REI...
My problem isn't that the wife is sick but instead that it has been raining almost solid since the snow started to come off the mountains and I have already cleaned and organized gear and then some... Starting to think I live in the PNW instead of CO!

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
^^^^ Virgin on the pack list wouldn't get past the wife.. hahaha (but I like how you think :p)

I just spilled a lot of misc gear on the table to get organized and re-weigh things and update my gear list. I have 3 gear lists (1) Very-Light for the mountains (2) elk/moose hunts - comfort more a factor and (3) daypack mode when I head out with my kids/brothers or Dad (68) for short walks/ATV hunts.

Yup the blue things are folding plates, my brother picked them up when he was in California last year; he thought I would love them, the plate weighs 1.4 ozs and can be used as a cutting board. That will be a lot better than cutting meat on rocks for a camp fire meal after a successful day afield.

The black things are construction grade garbage bags, I bring 1 every trip as a pack liner and to keep meat in streams if the weather is hot and I am staying for more than a couple of days before heading home.

Work, spring break vacations with the family, kiddies sports has me hopping this year, only got to head out for Bear on a 3 day weekend. Soooo I am dying to get back out their, luckily I am heading back to the mountains in 2 weeks for some scouting (*sanity)

Seeing that mess on your table made me realize that I need to get my a** in gear and get my stuff organized! I'm still making pullouts for my gear, so most of my stuff is just laying around on random shelves and cupboards. How do you guys store you gear when it's not being used? Rubbermaid tubs, storage bins/shelving, etc? I'm still trying to find a good way to store all my newly acquired gear.

tttoadman

WKR
Seeing that mess on your table made me realize that I need to get my a** in gear and get my stuff organized! I'm still making pullouts for my gear, so most of my stuff is just laying around on random shelves and cupboards. How do you guys store you gear when it's not being used? Rubbermaid tubs, storage bins/shelving, etc? I'm still trying to find a good way to store all my newly acquired gear.

My chit is piled on the dining room table from september to november, or it just rides in the car with me. The wife says that's not acceptable. It reminded me of those photos that Luke and Becca posted last year in the middle of hunting chaos.

Shrek

WKR
Manosteel , you're way more productive at killing time than I am., I have a really bad habit of buying stuff I don't need when I get bored.

Ndbwhunter , don't feel bad about the way you have your stuff stored. My stuff is strewn from one end of the house to the other in piles on the floor , the table , under the loading bench , on the loading bench . In fact , nothing has a proper place :).

Manosteel , you're way more productive at killing time than I am., I have a really bad habit of buying stuff I don't need when I get bored.

Ndbwhunter , don't feel bad about the way you have your stuff stored. My stuff is strewn from one end of the house to the other in piles on the floor , the table , under the loading bench , on the loading bench . In fact , nothing has a proper place :).
Yeah, that describes me, too

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I keep my gear in a garage that has been turned into a workout/dance studio with all my gear in a wardrobe and bench.

Shrek wait until you see how I modified my High Camp 7000 bag and bikini frame. 4#11oz with centre zip and more pockets. I have been busy getting ready for the season since other than the short bear hunt, November was the last time I got out for any real length of time helping my brother bag his moose.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
My chit is piled on the dining room table from september to november, or it just rides in the car with me. The wife says that's not acceptable. It reminded me of those photos that Luke and Becca posted last year in the middle of hunting chaos.

You mean this hunting chaos, AKA our old dining area?

We both understood the necessity during back to back trip season,but it sure was difficult trying to live in that mess from Aug-Nov every year. We moved into a bigger house summer before last and were able to dedicate a spare bedroom to gear storage and organization. Still it got to be kind of a mess, but at least we could close the door :)

Finally overhauled it again a couple of weeks ago, and it's very much improved...we shall see how long it lasts