Kimber Montana 8400 Rebarrel

I have a Kimber Montana 8400 in 300WSM on the way that I’d like to rebarrel in 6.5 PRC. 3” mag box should work well enough. Anyone on here done this or similar? If so, who did your barrel and who did the work? Results? I’ve read a lot about Pac-Nor rebarreling Kimbers but I was thinking about having McGowen do it, since I’m local to them.

t_carlson

WKR
I looked into it a few years ago when I wanted a 7mm WSM. Kimber was no longer chambering them, so I was thinking about re-barrelling a WSM of some other flavor.

I didn't end up doing it (just bought a LNIB one from Gunbroker) but from what I could determine, you're asking for a real headache if you depart from factory barrel dimensions. Something about the MT stock not being able to accomodate much more than a sporter weight barrel or something.

OP
MTMeatHunter
I looked into it a few years ago when I wanted a 7mm WSM. Kimber was no longer chambering them, so I was thinking about re-barrelling a WSM of some other flavor.

I didn't end up doing it (just bought a LNIB one from Gunbroker) but from what I could determine, you're asking for a real headache if you depart from factory barrel dimensions. Something about the MT stock not being able to accomodate much more than a sporter weight barrel or something.
Good info. I’m planning on matching factory at least to the tip of the forend, so I won’t be altering the stock. I might request a heavier contour via less taper after the forend though (Lilja’s mod8400 contour). We’ll see.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Stevel hallenbeck at double broom mountain rifles should be able to hook that up. He does lots of custom kimbers and does an excellent job.

OP
MTMeatHunter
Stevel hallenbeck at double broom mountain rifles should be able to hook that up. He does lots of custom kimbers and does an excellent job.
I wish I still lived in Fairbanks and I’d definitely have him do it. I’ve seen some of his work and it looks great. Being down yonder these days, I might try to keep it more local to me.

I’d also like the barrel maker to do the rebarrel. Seems like less potential for a blame game if something goes awry. Thoughts on that? I’ve always shot factory rifles so this is new territory for me.

Scorpion

WKR
I’d go with PacNor or Lilja barrels. I like the Lilja 84M modified contour. Factory 8400 is fine with me but doing as you mentioned and maintaining the factory contour through the stock then tapering to around 0.600” or 0.62” would be nice.

I prefer the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM but a 6.5 PRC would be pretty wicked if you want something different. A couple guys on 24 Hour Campfire did so and they turned out great.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 30-06 redone with a Hart barrel, I had them do the work since they are fairly close to me. It worked out well I just had them copy the factory contour until the tip of the forend and straight from there. I didn’t need to do any extra fitting on the stock and it was a worthwhile difference in accuracy.

OP
MTMeatHunter
I had a 30-06 redone with a Hart barrel, I had them do the work since they are fairly close to me. It worked out well I just had them copy the factory contour until the tip of the forend and straight from there. I didn’t need to do any extra fitting on the stock and it was a worthwhile difference in accuracy.
If you don’t mind sharing, what was the cost on the rebarrel? PM if you’d prefer but if you don’t want to share, no problemo. Thanks for the info either way

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had my 8400 rebarreled and rechambered to a 6.5 SAUM a few years back. the barrel is a McGowen in a #4 contour. I could be wrong on the contour but it barely fits in the factory stock but it shoots great! The smith was Matt Whaley out of N. Idaho.

kimber rebarrel 01.jpg

kimber rebarrel 02.jpg

OP
MTMeatHunter
I had my 8400 rebarreled and rechambered to a 6.5 SAUM a few years back. the barrel is a McGowen in a #4 contour. I could be wrong on the contour but it barely fits in the factory stock but it shoots great! The smith was Matt Whaley out of N. Idaho.

View attachment 524599

View attachment 524600
Wow, very cool and very similar to what I’m hoping to do. McGowen is making me nervous with the current thread on their barrels, but a fair number of respectable Roksliders, including you, have had good luck with them. Do I roll the dice… their prices are reasonable and by most accounts, their barrels shoot. Customer service on the other hand…

Sweet rig you’ve got there and thanks for chiming in!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, very cool and very similar to what I’m hoping to do. McGowen is making me nervous with the current thread on their barrels, but a fair number of respectable Roksliders, including you, have had good luck with them. Do I roll the dice… their prices are reasonable and by most accounts, their barrels shoot. Customer service on the other hand…

Sweet rig you’ve got there and thanks for chiming in!
I have two rifles sporting their barrels and both shoot great. Ryan Avery recommended I give them a try as he used them a lot without issue. Both of my McGowen barrels are from 2017. I have not kept track of the company in recent years and things may have changed.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

View attachment 524599

View attachment 524600

I was going to suggest something JUST like that…or a fast twist 270 WSM.

OP
MTMeatHunter
I would and have considered something like a fast twist 270WSM or even the 6.8 Western. But that would require getting back into handloading, which I just got out of. Kind of why I’m leaning 6.5 PRC. Lots of great factory ammo already available, and more being added. Heck, just bought three boxes yesterday, for a rifle that I don’t even have built yet…

Have had a few barrels put on Kimbers. Either Pac-nor or Lilja tube done by a local smith. My last 7saum by Pac-nor in 2022 was $740 total, their version of 5r, duped contour, stainless. In the past it was a touch cheaper, but not much.
Havent shot the latest Pac-Nor, but all past barrels from both outfits have been great.

Sykes

WKR
I bought the same rife a few years ago with the intent to do the same but only in a 25 PRC. But this 300wsm shoots too good to take apart. Still on my list though.

Wrench

WKR
I bought Lilja dupe and they do a nice job. You're gonna want to get busy ordering as it was several months wait.

OP
MTMeatHunter
I bought the same rife a few years ago with the intent to do the same but only in a 25 PRC. But this 300wsm shoots too good to take apart. Still on my list though.
The original owner said he had a hard time shooting it and actually sent it to Kimber thinking there was something wrong. They sent it back with a 1/2” target. I think I’d better not shoot it as a 300WSM if I want to follow through with this or I might be stuck with another 30 cal that I don’t need.