Kimber Mountain Ascent - Accuracy?

I am deep in the search for a new western long range hunting rifle. Weight is very important to me. I have dialed in on the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280 AI. I have seen previous posts about Kimber struggling to hold accuracy in some of their older models of the Mountain Ascent and Montana. Does anyone know if this has been fixed or if their new models are more accurate?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Please do not hesitate to offer other ideas for super lightweight big-game caliber rifles.

-CS210

Bama67

FNG
Not exactly what you are asking, as mine is the Hunter in 6.5 CM, but the accuracy of mine is crazy good for a 5lb rifle. Sub MOA.
I would expect an Ascent to do as good, or better, as I believe the actions are identical, the Hunter just has a cheap plastic stock.

Dennis

WKR
I have older Cooper 92 Backcountry in 6.5 x 284 Norma. They weigh 92 ounces. Mine shoots great and came with targets from their testing. They told me all 280 AI typically shot great. I know the ownership changed within the last couple years. FYI

OP
ChickenSalad210
I have older Cooper 92 Backcountry in 6.5 x 284 Norma. They weigh 92 ounces. Mine shoots great and came with targets from their testing. They told me all 280 AI typically shot great. I know the ownership changed within the last couple years. FYI
I have looked into these, seemingly great rifles. Unfortunately they are out of my price range. A Kimber Mountain Ascent is truly the high end i will be able to go for just the rifle. Typically retail for $2200 and below which is where i need to be.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a mountain ascent that had some serious problems. I’ve had a few montanas that were awesome though. I’m down to one Montana currently.

MThuntr

WKR
Light rifles shoot different. Every breath or heartbeat seems to be absorbed into the rifle making them hard to steady and with that pencil thin barrel by the third shot on target your shots might open up a bit if you go too fast. My Kimber Hunter Pro (same action but with a magazine) that shoots great but can be tough to tame down when breathing heavily. Have shot elk and antelope out to about 450 yards with it which is about as far as I've needed to shoot on animals.

If you want long range, I'd sacrifice a bit of extra weight for controllability.

I have a 280ai Mtn Ascent. It’s a great rifle and I feel comfortable with it out to 500 yards. I had a good gunsmith go through it though to ensure a free floated barrel and bed the action. I also had him cut off another 2 inches of the barrel to take it down to a 22” barrel. I would say it definitely shoots better than I do. It is a very legit 3/4-1 MOA gun. I do think it shoots better with my suppressor on it than with the muzzle brake but that is likely due to the extra 8 ounces it adds to the gun. It’s a pleasure to carry but as many mentioned, you have to be super careful because you will not every breath and heartbeat. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when it comes to the barrel, after 2 shots it heats up pretty fast and the third shot begins to open up. The first two will literally be the same hole or pretty close, and the third will be substantially off. 4/5 will be close to 3 but again, opens up enough that I still consider it a 1 MOA gun rather than the first two shots indicate. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you care to elaborate on the problems? interested to hear. Have you had a different set of problems between the Mtn Ascent and Montana?
The montanas I've had have all be accurate for me and fairly easy to work up handloads for. The MA that I had trouble with seemed to have very sloppy stock to action fit, removing the action from the stock showed significant rubbing and paint chipping from the action moving around while being shit. It took a lot of work with bedding and free floating to make it shoot decently.

Scottyboy203

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in a 280ai and it will and it will shoot Groups touching at 100 yards.Never tried any long range Awesome rifle to tote around all day as well.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I had to be honest with myself that I can't shoot a light rifle well. I had friends that had no problem shooting it sub moa so I know it was me. I think that's where most the bad accuracy reports come from. That said I have a .280ai sub alpine listed here in the classifieds

VernAK

WKR
I've had/have 8-10 Kimber Rifles and had a very early 8400 that took some effort to get hunting accuracy.
My latest MA in 270 shoots .5 for 3 shots with 130 TTSX or 129 LRX.

The 84 M and 84L are my favorite hunting rifles as they fit me and the ergos are great.

These are a very light rifle and require a bit of technique to shoot accurately.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Kimber Montana originally 7mm-08, rebarreled wirh a Pac-Nor barrel before they burned down. It has been a really accurate gun, but as noted sometimes is tricky to shoot.

I had an Adirondack that was a nightmare. Had to free float it, replace spring in bolt and eventually re-barrel due to headspace issues causing misfires.

For the price of a Kimber, I'd much rather get a lightened Tikka from Unknown Munitions and put it in a carbon stock that has better ergonomics.