Kimber Mountain Ascent - Accuracy?

z987k

WKR
The only difference between the hunters and the Montana line(which includdes the MA and adirondak) is the stock. The barrels and actions are the same.

I think you'd be money ahead and end up with a rifle closer to exactly what you want by getting a hunter and giving it to one of the couple places that makes kimber stocks and have them make you a nice light stock that is bedded to the rifle.

I’ve used a .300 WSM mountain ascent since 2017. It’s become my go too gun for everything. From coues to elk to moose to bison it’s done it all. I can attest that the pencil barrel does impede on accuracy after 3 shots. It has been bedded, I also lapped the rings/ bases before mounting the scope. It got the trigger tech trigger a couple seasons ago. But admittedly if I were to do it again I would go the Tikka route in a more standard caliber.

jpengel

FNG
I have a Kimber Hunter in .280AI for mountain hunting. I was really tempted to get an MA in same caliber, but I chose to save the $1000 to put towards a scope, and deal with the 5 or 6oz weight penalty. With a swaro z5 3-18x44, im at 6lb 11oz I believe.

Other benefits to the hunter over MA, I think, are the weight helps with recoil and the non fluted barrel doesn't get as hot as quickly as the fluted barrel of the MA so I don't get those 3rd or 4th consecutive shot flyers that the MA is known for. (i was able to A/B with a .270 MA at the range and saw this repeatedly). I also found a Ti bolt handle to put on to lose an oz.

I was also concerned about the accuracy reputation, and I had heard that kimbers were ammo finicky. My experience was exactly what I had heard, it liked some ammo and didnt like others. I found that mine really likes 160gr nosler partitions (sub MOA at 300yds). Ill be shooting with some eld-x and accubonds too this season. (that .270 liked eldx so im hopeful). all factory ammo so far. Hand loading will also help find a good round.

A possible downside/preference of the kimber is the oldschool style stock and low aftermarket offerings. But it works for a hunting tool.

As for other options:
-if you are set on the MA take a look at the .308, not the best ballistics compared to modern rounds but so light. my buddy has one with a swfa 2.5-10x32 and it is feather weight.

-check out a 6.5PRC, similar ballistics to a 280ai, less recoil, smaller action i believe, and some good options out there

- weatherby mark 5 backcountry ti is also stupid light and comes in a lot of calibers

*edit prior post to add sub MOA at 300yds w/ 160gr nosler partitions

ianpadron

WKR
I have an MA in .308 Win

Was just blasting 10" rocks at 720 yards over the weekend with it on 8 power...I own 3 kimbers and all are shooters.

They're my favorite "classic" sporting rifle. So handy/sleek/simple. They also have phenomenal triggers. Mine are at 1.5# which aids in shooting such a light setup accurately.

QC has the deserved reputation of being spotty, but the pros outweigh the cons imho

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
I have a Kimber Hunter in .280AI for mountain hunting. I was really tempted to get an MA in same caliber, but I chose to save the $1000 to put towards a scope, and deal with the 5 or 6oz weight penalty. With a swaro z5 3-18x44, im at 6lb 11oz I believe.

Other benefits to the hunter over MA, I think, are the weight helps with recoil and the non fluted barrel doesn't get as hot as quickly as the fluted barrel of the MA so I don't get those 3rd or 4th consecutive shot flyers that the MA is known for. (i was able to A/B with a .270 MA at the range and saw this repeatedly). I also found a Ti bolt handle to put on to lose an oz.

I was also concerned about the accuracy reputation, and I had heard that kimbers were ammo finicky. My experience was exactly what I had heard, it liked some ammo and didnt like others. I found that mine really likes 160gr nosler partitions (sub MOA at 300yds). Ill be shooting with some eld-x and accubonds too this season. (that .270 liked eldx so im hopeful). all factory ammo so far. Hand loading will also help find a good round.

A possible downside/preference of the kimber is the oldschool style stock and low aftermarket offerings. But it works for a hunting tool.

As for other options:
-if you are set on the MA take a look at the .308, not the best ballistics compared to modern rounds but so light. my buddy has one with a swfa 2.5-10x32 and it is feather weight.

-check out a 6.5PRC, similar ballistics to a 280ai, less recoil, smaller action i believe, and some good options out there

- weatherby mark 5 backcountry ti is also stupid light and comes in a lot of calibers

*edit prior post to add sub MOA at 300yds w/ 160gr nosler partitions

Flyers are are myth. Your barrel is accurate, or it's not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an MA in .308 Win

Was just blasting 10" rocks at 720 yards over the weekend with it on 8 power...I own 3 kimbers and all are shooters.

They're my favorite "classic" sporting rifle. So handy/sleek/simple. They also have phenomenal triggers. Mine are at 1.5# which aids in shooting such a light setup accurately.

QC has the deserved reputation of being spotty, but the pros outweigh the cons imho
I thought my kimbers had good triggers....until I replaced them with trigger tech triggers.

ianpadron

WKR
I thought my kimbers had good triggers....until I replaced them with trigger tech triggers.
I have a trigger-tech in my Christensen. It's good. I strongly prefer the Kimbers, but they need adjusting...think they were about 4 pounds when I got them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a trigger-tech in my Christensen. It's good. I strongly prefer the Kimbers, but they need adjusting...think they were about 4 pounds when I got them.
I’m sure im getting part of this wrong butninb live need on here that the Kimber triggers have some washer or o-ring that wears out over time and the quality suffers.

ianpadron

WKR
I’m sure im getting part of this wrong butninb live need on here that the Kimber triggers have some washer or o-ring that wears out over time and the quality suffers.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that, first mention of it I've seen. I'd take those Kimber triggers over any other trigger I've pulled so far. My buddies with Tikkas are pretty high on their Mt. Tactical springs in the stock Tikka triggers too but I haven't shot one yet.

jpengel

FNG
Flyers are are myth. Your barrel is accurate, or it's not.
thermal expansion of metal is physics. hot thin walled barrel = larger ID = POI shift

you may not be seeing it on your .308, but on a cartridge with 10-20gr more powder (270, 280ai) and not waiting long enough between consecutive shots, it can happen.

ianpadron

WKR
thermal expansion of metal is physics. hot thin walled barrel = larger ID = POI shift

you may not be seeing it on your .308, but on a cartridge with 10-20gr more powder (270, 280ai) and not waiting long enough between consecutive shots, it can happen.
You can lead a horse to water...

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/cold-bore-zero-versus-very-hot-bore-zero-test.325335/

Note that the most accurate rifle in the entire test is the one with the skinniest barrel (plus it's fluted LOL)

If your rifle is throwing "flyers" those are merely part of your rifles shot cone and should be counted when establishing your true zero.

jpengel

FNG
You can lead a horse to water...

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/cold-bore-zero-versus-very-hot-bore-zero-test.325335/

Note that the most accurate rifle in the entire test is the one with the skinniest barrel (plus it's fluted LOL)

If your rifle is throwing "flyers" those are merely part of your rifles shot cone and should be counted when establishing your true zero.
thanks for sharing that, hadn't seen it. I appreciate Forms objectivity and have no problem changing my viewpoint. (But your cute horse comment doesn't add any value).

None of the rifles tested are Kimber MA, so not 100% applicable to this thread. What I have gathered from it is a quality barrel will not shift due to temp (outside of an acceptable MOA group).

My experience was referencing group spread on a kimber MA .270 at 300 yds. The spread is real, now have to re ask the question why is it happening? It is very possible that the 'flyers' I have observed are well within a 1-1.5 MOA cone (3-4.5" spread) and thus acceptable. I wasn't measuring the spread, just going off of visual POI shift (which is flawed) and only 3-5 shot groups (also flawed). Or it has to do with barrel quality or shooter error.

2024-03-19 13_57_57-Cold bore zero versus (very) Hot bore zero “test” _ Page 2 _ Rokslide Forum.png

2024-03-19 13_57_17-Thin Fluted Barrels vs Carbon Barrels on factory rifles_ _ Page 2 _ Roksli...png

Harvey_NW

WKR
My experience was referencing group spread on a kimber MA .270 at 300 yds. The spread is real, now have to re ask the question why is it happening?
Likely residual stress in the grain structure of the barrel from improper stress relief after pulling a button through.

flyguyskt

FNG
I have the mnt ascent in .308... i bought it cheap second hand but looking brand new...even inside the bore. I loaded up some 165 nosler accubonds to nosler max load. It would shoot at best 1.5 groups... I then knew why it was in the scheels used guns... I didn't care I figured it was the stock and finding the right load...almost always possible.
So I took it apart and put a hour on the barrel channel assuring it was actually floated (it was not from the factory), then bedded the action and put her back together... torqued everything and built some load ladders... found a 168 nosler ablr load at 2750fps that will lay down .45" 4 shot groups every time. weighs in with great glass sling bipod and ammo at 7 pounds!!!