Knives

Chode223

FNG
I use a Fibrox Boning Knife. Light, holds a good edge and has enough flex. I keep one in my field kit and my kitchen drawer.
I have a couple of these too. 5” is my favorite for home meat processing, and the 7” is great for making quick work of it too. These knives keep and edge, are comfortable to use and are a great value.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are regularly trapping for pelts, I don't know what good a real skinning knife would be to a hunter. There's not a ton of options out there from most hunting type brands. It looks like Dexter Russell makes a handful of models, and that's what I would choose. Most of us aren't skinning animals daily, and a regular knife works fine if you are just a little slower and careful not to poke anything with the tip.

A caping knife might be more useful to hunters, but really only if you do your own taxidermy. The fee for a taxidermist to cape off a skull isn't that crazy.

Don't really know about the best boning knife. Again, it isn't like we are racing the clock like a butcher. My Buck Open season does the job just fine for me. Maybe a butcher would hate it 6 hours into the day. At least on this forum, many people sacrifice some function to save weight, so "best" is relative.

Michael54

WKR
Victory Knives. 5" boning knife and 15cm skinning knife. They run a little bit more than victorinox but hold an amazing edge way longer. I can get through multiple cows with just a little steel touchup when they start to drag. I very rarely have to actually sharpen them.

I have considered a Vic skinner to go with my 6” Vic semi flex. They are cheap, easy to sharpen to a razor, light weight, and durable.
I like unique knives with character or a story, but these just get the job done in the field and at home.
These right here. I love my vic skinner And my vic boning knives. I think my skinner is called their sheep skinner.

In the field I use a MKC knife, Havalon, 5” curved semi stiff victorinox. At work I use a combo of 6”, 5”, and 8” victorinox knives. For skinning I use a victorinox lamb skinner and a beef skinner.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Admittingly a minimalist response: Most of my Alaska trips involve logistics that surmount to a LOT of $$ for transportation and a LOT of effort for packing and transporting gear overland some distance for weeks. For those reasons "knives" have been whittled down to "knife" and that shaved down to "knife blade" for consideration for my kill kit.

Since 2007 I have stopped packing all knives and now use a simple plastic scalpel handle with #70 Havalon taxidermy blade. For caribou I need 2-3 blades and moose 5-6 blades. We're talking mere ounces (after thought really) for razor sharp delivery throughout without the need for sharpening stone.

Gut hooks and all that jazz aren't even warranted they're just gadget options for selling cool knives that weigh too much for the purpose they serve.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Works for both, sure. Works great for both might be stretching the truth.
OK, rephrase.......works great for both.....for me. They're fantastic for skinning, and boning out an animal is no issue with them either. When my daughter and I were processing her cow moose a couple weeks ago at home, I still chose my Havalon over all my other home knives, even the Victorinox. But the Vic's normally do a great job as well. Nothing wrong with them.