Kodiak Goat in MARCH

IMG_1553.jpeg

Hey all! I’m wanting to do kodiak goat in March this year. Had a few questions about my gear and the hunt. I’m an Alaska resident based in ANC and will have a buddy with likely access to an ocean boat.

1. Weather
How much snow can I expect on the mountains? Doesn’t seem like it would be bitterly cold like the rest of the state, but those figures are for the towns. Is that also true up high?

2. Gear
My setup is mostly for August sheep, but I think most of it will be applicable. Nemo 15 bag with Thermarest Xtherm. Nemo Tracker 1P tent. La Sportvia Aequilibrium w/ crampons. Don’t have snowshoes yet. I do have a mountaineering axe.

Any and all answers are welcome. Winter hunting has a lot of draw for me and it’d be cool to do this even if it doesn’t happen this year. Picture is a young Billy up bird creek. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be headed to Kodiak in March for goats as well. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Based out of Eagle River.

Goats in March can be a great time. I can also be the worse. Come prepared to deal with shit spring snow storms. Sounds like you’re on the right track with the Xtherm, maybe consider a liner for that as well. Having some protection on your sleeping bag can go along way, especially when you aren’t close to an easy trip back to town/truck. Water can be difficult to find if Kodiak has maintained its cold temperatures, make sure your stove is capable of melting snow if it comes to it. Hopefully spring starts a bit early and you don’t have to worry about any of this, but this has been the coldest winter I’ve experienced in Kodiak in the last 7 years. Snowshoes are nice for getting on top of the snow and make life easy. Even with it being winter they can still be 1500’ up a mountain.

As far as the snow levels it varies so much it’s extremely hard to tell. I’d suspect temps between 25 and 40 if it’s sunny out.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.