Kodiak Island Mt. Goat advice?

I drew a Kodiak Island South road system Mt. Goat hunt for 2014. I will be going DIY with my brother-in-law and brother. Although my brother-in-law lives in AK, neither of us have been to Kodiak or hunted Goat!(We've had successful sheep,grizzly,caribou and moose hunts). I was wondering if some of you folks that have hunted Goat or South Kodiak(or even know someone who has) had any advice or information for this hunt that you'd be willing to share.
So far we're leaning toward taking the pick-up and gear across on the ferry. We will bring our light weight gear for backpacking and spike camp if needed. One of the AFG folks said, on this hunt it would be good to have an ATV to reach more remote access points(what's your thoughts on all of these?)
I would be very thankful for any advice or to hear your thoughts. I'm a total newbie to this Mt. Goat thing, so even though I'm stoked I'm a little nervous too! It's gonna be great!
Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Any Goat or hunt related info is appreciated.
Bob E.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've helped haul 3 goats off the south road system mountain goat tag on Kodiak, two that were 9.5"+ billies and one 9" billy. Certainly am far from a mountain goat hunting expert but I can give you my thoughts on it right, wrong or indifferent. Its a great tag and I've been putting in for it for 5+ years now and have yet to draw it! PM me your phone number and we can talk.

Last edited:
I've helped haul 3 goats off the south road system mountain goat tag on Kodiak, two that were 9.5"+ billies and one 9" billy. Certainly am far from a mountain goat hunting expert but I can give you my thoughts on it right, wrong or indifferent. Its a great tag and I've been putting in for it for 5+ years now and have yet to draw it! PM me your phone number and we can talk.
Hi Luke. My buddy and I drew dg478 this year. We live in Fairbanks. Neither one of us has been to kodiak. I've been trying for years to get a goat tag. We plan to take the ferry over. I tried to message you but it won't let me. I'd appreciate all help you can provide. I don't want this tag to go unfilled. Thanks

Mojave

WKR
Hi Luke. My buddy and I drew dg478 this year. We live in Fairbanks. Neither one of us has been to kodiak. I've been trying for years to get a goat tag. We plan to take the ferry over. I tried to message you but it won't let me. I'd appreciate all help you can provide. I don't want this tag to go unfilled. Thanks
Yep!

Mojave

WKR
I had forgot about those road hunt units. Odds suck, but man what a great deal.

Hence "yep", I hope you get it done! I'd probably hunt the latest I could hunt. Less bears and more fluffy of a goat.