Kowa 554 $1439

Ronb

WKR
Like I said, its hits a home run for the backcountry guy. I hope to own one someday. Not gonna give up my ats 65 just yet. But, maybe some day. Especially if they came out with one with a wide angle eyepiece and a bit more eye-relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Like I said, its hits a home run for the backcountry guy. I hope to own one someday. Not gonna give up my ats 65 just yet. But, maybe some day. Especially if they came out with one with a wide angle eyepiece and a bit more eye-relief.

If you looked through one you would 😏

HookUp

WKR
I carry an atx that I don't use enough. This looks ideal but i'm not switching until I test the small kowa in the field.

Bowrider3

FNG
I just got the kowa 55 that I was lucky enough to get from opticsplanet when they had the deal. The glass is fantastic based on my initial use. Reminds me of all the swaro optics I have looked through. Just thought I would mention this to anyone considering this scope. Before I never considered bringing spotting scope on backpacking hunt but now I definitely would.

Dobermann

WKR
At 45x I’ll take the little Kowa over both just because the optical quality is excellent and it is so small/light. But that is my style.

Tim, are you running the straight or angled? Any reflections on the pros and cons of either - especially other than the usual arguments - for these particular two scopes?

dotman

WKR
Tim, are you running the straight or angled? Any reflections on the pros and cons of either - especially other than the usual arguments - for these particular two scopes?

I run the angled but really between the two it’ll just be personal preference but being that it does not have the rotating collar a straight maybe more appealing to some.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I like the angled also but I got the straight Kowa (because of the sale). One advantage will be using this Kowa with a window mount from my vehicle. Haven't got to use it much yet but the glass seems really nice and the size and weight are great.

Ronb

WKR
There’s one up for sale right now for $1295. Pretty good price.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There’s one up for sale right now for $1295. Pretty good price.

It is really hard to save money for tags at this point with all these deals popping up in the classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm waiting for the next wave of these. Keeping my straight small vortex for now as I got it for $1000 less and it fits my current needs. This scope got a lot of buzz and i'm sure the other optic companies took note of it. Hoping that next year we'll see new entries from some of the smaller up-and-coming guys like Mavin, Sig, etc. Then the big guys may decide to enter and blow it away.

Until then, I'll stick with good enough for now and maybe wait and see if a straight version of a used 55 pops up sub $1000.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I'm waiting for the next wave of these. Keeping my straight small vortex for now as I got it for $1000 less and it fits my current needs. This scope got a lot of buzz and i'm sure the other optic companies took note of it. Hoping that next year we'll see new entries from some of the smaller up-and-coming guys like Mavin, Sig, etc. Then the big guys may decide to enter and blow it away.

Until then, I'll stick with good enough for now and maybe wait and see if a straight version of a used 55 pops up sub $1000.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Considering it’s big brother is still considered the best spotter available by many I don’t think you’ll see one blow it away by Swaro, Leica etc.

FlyGuy

WKR
Sorry, that read a lot differently than I intended it to.

What I meant by "blow it away" was that the big guys will hopefully jump in to this emerging market for small & lightweight spotters; not that they would blow away the Kowa 55 specifically.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Maven is hardly new, or an up and comer. It's rebadged Brunton optics. Nothing wrong with that, but they hardly started from scratch.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Maven is hardly new, or an up and comer. It's rebadged Brunton optics. Nothing wrong with that, but they hardly started from scratch.

Did you ever look through a Brunton? They were OK and overpriced at best.

Maven may have Ex-employees from Brunton but that's about where the optics comparison ends IMO