Kowa TSN-553 Review, By Luke Moffat

mcseal2

WKR
I use the Outdoorsmans pan head. It's probably overkill, but works great with the spotter, my 15x Swaros, or my Outdoorsman's rifle rest. I tried their Micro pan head and prefer to pack the weight of the normal one.

mproberts

WKR
Yeah the micro pan head is too small imo as well. You are giving up a lot to save a little.

I use the Outdoorsmans pan head. It's probably overkill, but works great with the spotter, my 15x Swaros, or my Outdoorsman's rifle rest. I tried their Micro pan head and prefer to pack the weight of the normal one.

I just recently received the RRS BPC-16 and put my 553 on for a test ride. It is nice. The panner works very smoothly, I would say it is on par with the Outdoorsman's regular panhead with this lightweight scope. But of course, to tilt requires using the ball joint. With the ball joint, the lever lock can be adjusted so that the tension range can be shifted. Inside the range, I feel there's a forgiving zone that allows decently smooth maneuverability when pushing the scope and enough tension to hold its place when not. Definitely not as smooth as it's panning, but well enough to work that way.

Given its extreme lightweight (4.4oz), smooth panner, and strong locking with zero shift, I think I'll be very happy with it.

I just recently received the RRS BPC-16 and put my 553 on for a test ride. It is nice. The panner works very smoothly, I would say it is on par with the Outdoorsman's regular panhead with this lightweight scope. But of course, to tilt requires using the ball joint. With the ball joint, the lever lock can be adjusted so that the tension range can be shifted. Inside the range, I feel there's a forgiving zone that allows decently smooth maneuverability when pushing the scope and enough tension to hold its place when not. Definitely not as smooth as it's panning, but well enough to work that way.

Given its extreme lightweight (4.4oz), smooth panner, and strong locking with zero shift, I think I'll be very happy with it.
Great little head. Sold my outdoorsmans micro pan immediately after laying hands on the bpc-16.

Great little head. Sold my outdoorsmans micro pan immediately after laying hands on the bpc-16.

I'd be very interested to hear what you guys have to say about it after hunting with it this season. I've been real happy with the VA-5, but this saves a bit more than a full pound.

I also have the VA-5, but I only use it for my larger scope. There’s no comparison in the smoothness. I am sure the little bpc16 could ‘work’ but it won’t be nearly the same experience.

I just received my TSN 553 yesterday. Seems to be a nice little unit. I’m leaving for a deer scouting trip today and plan to put it through the paces digi scoping and glassing along with the BTX

I also have the VA-5, but I only use it for my larger scope. There’s no comparison in the smoothness. I am sure the little bpc16 could ‘work’ but it won’t be nearly the same experience.

Yeah, definitely understand your point with the bigger glass. Probably like balancing a watermellon on a toothpick. I'm really curious about it's performance during the season on the little 553/4 though, since that's all I put in my pack these days.
I really am quite happy with the VA-5. Wish I could order a BPC-16 with free returns so I could check one out and send it back if it doesn't trip my trigger.

Yeah, definitely understand your point with the bigger glass. Probably like balancing a watermellon on a toothpick. I'm really curious about it's performance during the season on the little 553/4 though, since that's all I put in my pack these days.
I really am quite happy with the VA-5. Wish I could order a BPC-16 with free returns so I could check one out and send it back if it doesn't trip my trigger.
My apologies, I automatically thought of a larger scope when you mentioned the VA-5. For the 553/4, I think that fluid head is overkill and the bpc16 should do you well. Then again, if you use the 553/4 to search a lot (which I don’t) it may still be worth the weight.

twall13

WKR
Anyone willing to post a video of your RRS BPC-16 with the little Kowa mounted so we can see it in action?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My apologies, I automatically thought of a larger scope when you mentioned the VA-5. For the 553/4, I think that fluid head is overkill and the bpc16 should do you well. Then again, if you use the 553/4 to search a lot (which I don’t) it may still be worth the weight.

99.9% of my glassing is with my binos. Just use the 554 to better assess antler size.

twall13

WKR
I somehow missed your video when I was up in the mountains last weekend and just saw it right now. Thanks for taking the time to post that, it certainly looks like an improvement over my current ball head and certainly a weight savings. I'll also be using it with the little Kowa and some Binos.

Does your little tripod have a 1/4" male screw to go directly into the ball head? I didn't notice an adapter. My tripod uses a 3/8" male screw so I'll need to figure out an adapter but I think I'm going to order one.

tdhanses

WKR
I somehow missed your video when I was up in the mountains last weekend and just saw it right now. Thanks for taking the time to post that, it certainly looks like an improvement over my current ball head and certainly a weight savings. I'll also be using it with the little Kowa and some Binos.

Does your little tripod have a 1/4" male screw to go directly into the ball head? I didn't notice an adapter. My tripod uses a 3/8" male screw so I'll need to figure out an adapter but I think I'm going to order one.

It does, thanks to him, I now have the same setup and wow is it impressive. The tripod also comes with the 3/8” adapter for the ball head that comes with it which is 3/8”. The factory head is ok but I like the RRS BPC16 which is a 1/4 mount.

twall13

WKR
You guys are killing me, I dont need another tripod too but that thing is crazy light and now that you have me looking at it I'm considering a purchase. Looks like a decent build quality for what it is. It obviously won't be very stable in the wind but for certain sit down situations it looks handy. Between the light weight of the Kowa, tripod and head combo I could take that setup anywhere without worrying about it being too heavy.

tdhanses

WKR
You guys are killing me, I dont need another tripod too but that thing is crazy light and now that you have me looking at it I'm considering a purchase. Looks like a decent build quality for what it is. It obviously won't be very stable in the wind but for certain sit down situations it looks handy. Between the light weight of the Kowa, tripod and head combo I could take that setup anywhere without worrying about it being too heavy.

I also have the KDC, this is more stable, comes with a 6 year warranty as well, you may like the head that comes with it, it didn’t seem bad but I had already bought the RRS. So far I think it was very much worth the $90 investment.