Kuiu Axis vs Encounter

Curious if anyone has used both and has a good comparison on warmth, quietness, versatility, etc. This is primarily for a whitetail system. I typically archery hunt from a saddle but go mobile during rifle season, so I try to stay away from heavyweight fleece systems which is why the lighter weight of the Encounter or Axis is appealing.

Pizza Guy

FNG
I currently own the Axis and Encounter pants. I ran the Axis pant in the past and I will be running the Encounters this year. I don't have the Encounter jacket yet so I will talk about the pants.

The pants have similar wind resistance with a slight edge to the Encounter mainly because the pockets on the Axis are basically vented with their mesh liner. If the Axis pockets are zippered opened some wind will cut through.

Slight edge in warmth to the Encounter. I had two days in the stand with them. Both days were overcast, upper 40's, and a little breezy, 15mph. I layered 145 merino base underneath and was comfortable. I have other base/midlayer options I will he testing as the temperatures drop.

The Encounter material is definitely more quiet but probably not as big of deal for pants as it would be for jackets. Thinking drawing a bow back.

The waterproof panels on the Axis are a plus for say sitting on the ground but probably not so much for in the saddle.

The front cargo pockets on the Encounter are much better for saddle or treestand hunting. They are more accessible and easier to get in and out of. They have a much larger capacity as well. Each pant leg has two cargo pockets on the thigh area stacked on top of each other. One with a side zip and one with a top zip. No problem fitting calls, your phone, gloves, a beanie, and other accessories in them. They did a good job designing the front pockets. There's also the 2 traditional pockets near the hip area. My only gripe is there are no rear pockets. My entire life I've carried a wallet in my back pocket so it's just odd for me. Fortunately there's plenty of room in the front cargo pockets to carry my wallet.

brandr67

FNG
I currently own the Axis and Encounter pants. I ran the Axis pant in the past and I will be running the Encounters this year. I don't have the Encounter jacket yet so I will talk about the pants.

The pants have similar wind resistance with a slight edge to the Encounter mainly because the pockets on the Axis are basically vented with their mesh liner. If the Axis pockets are zippered opened some wind will cut through.

Slight edge in warmth to the Encounter. I had two days in the stand with them. Both days were overcast, upper 40's, and a little breezy, 15mph. I layered 145 merino base underneath and was comfortable. I have other base/midlayer options I will he testing as the temperatures drop.

The Encounter material is definitely more quiet but probably not as big of deal for pants as it would be for jackets. Thinking drawing a bow back.

The waterproof panels on the Axis are a plus for say sitting on the ground but probably not so much for in the saddle.

The front cargo pockets on the Encounter are much better for saddle or treestand hunting. They are more accessible and easier to get in and out of. They have a much larger capacity as well. Each pant leg has two cargo pockets on the thigh area stacked on top of each other. One with a side zip and one with a top zip. No problem fitting calls, your phone, gloves, a beanie, and other accessories in them. They did a good job designing the front pockets. There's also the 2 traditional pockets near the hip area. My only gripe is there are no rear pockets. My entire life I've carried a wallet in my back pocket so it's just odd for me. Fortunately there's plenty of room in the front cargo pockets to carry my wallet.

How’s the durability on the encounter pants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizza Guy

FNG
To be determined but here are my initial thoughts. As you transition to quieter material it's more soft and doesn't have as hard of a face as their Axis pant for example. So there's a tradeoff in silence for durability. I wouldn't go regularly busting through brush in them but they are more than adequate for stand hunting, which is what they are intended for. I'm real particular on how I access my hunt locations. I figure that shit out preseason. Where it's necessary, I clear access trails so I can get in quiet and not spend a half day pulling burrs off of me.

JRS3

FNG
I have both. The Encounter jacket is one of my favorite Kuiu pieces. I bought black originally for hunting from fixed stands and liked it so much, I got a valo for hunting from climbers, ladder stands, and general use. I have used the Encounter to 35F and with a 145 base and a 200 wt mid layer was perfectly comfortable.

The Axis is nice too and I use it for more active hunts and when I expect rain. The Axis is a real versatile layer piece. The encounter appears a smidge warmer to me but not a huge difference. Basically, I like the Axis for spot and stalk and the Encounter when sitting.

OP
P
I ended up buying both the Encounter and Axis pant. The Encounter in Valo for more stationary hunting, the Axis in Ash for more active hunting or during wetter weather.