KUIU Guide Pro vs All Season Jacket

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a new KUIU jacket for all-around use in hunting. I'll probably eventually get a specific rain jacket like the Chugach TR or Kutana Storm Shell. Would the Guide All Season be a solid choice, even without the hood? It's on outlet for $99 right now. Otherwise, I've been eyeing the new Guide Pro Jacket ($299). I would think that one won't go on sale for awhile given that it just released.

Any feedback on either of these would be appreciated!

Edit: It looks like the Encounter Jacket could be a good contender as well

Last edited:

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried the new version of the guide, but the older one is nice for what it is. For $99 bucks it’s not a bad deal. That being said, I’ve been moving away from soft shells (and I really want to like soft shells) because they just don’t cover enough temperature range for me. I find myself having to stop and adjust layers more often, and that just gets annoying.
I know you said general use, but is there some specific attributes you want in this coat? Warm, protective layer, wind, etc?

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
Low to moderate warmth, so good for right now for Spring Turkey and then also Early/Mid Whitetail. I'd prefer it be decent at cutting wind and water resistant, but not necessarily windproof or waterproof. I was looking at the Kutana Storm Shell and Chugach, but those seems more dedicated to wind and water with less warmth, being good to have in the pack for when you need them.

Lx675

FNG
Are you staying true to size or sizing up for layers? I’m looking at both of these jackets but I’m not sure if I should stick with Med or go up one.

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
I decided to get the Guide All Season since it's a good deal and will probably be gone soon. @Lx675, I went one size up, partially because they were out of XL and also because I've seen that most KUIU jackets are too snug for any layering (and I prefer a more loose fit).

I'll see how the reviews turn out for the Guide Pro and still plan to pick up the Chugach TR or Kutana Storm Shell on the next sale.

I decided to get the Guide All Season since it's a good deal and will probably be gone soon. @Lx675, I went one size up, partially because they were out of XL and also because I've seen that most KUIU jackets are too snug for any layering (and I prefer a more loose fit).

I'll see how the reviews turn out for the Guide Pro and still plan to pick up the Chugach TR or Kutana Storm Shell on the next sale.
You did good sizing up. I had a 2021 Guide DCS Hooded Jacket (I'm 5'7", 180 lb), purchased a large and it had no room for layering. They're a nice jacket.

I layer up these days with Peloton 118 SS-T/Ultra Merino 120 Hoodie/Peloton 240 Zip Hoodie and then use a Super Down Pro Puffy and/or Ultra Lightweight rain jacket (I'm wearing Black Diamond rain gear). Sometimes I'll use the Guide DCS Vest if need be. For $99 you won't be disappointed.

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
You did good sizing up. I had a 2021 Guide DCS Hooded Jacket (I'm 5'7", 180 lb), purchased a large and it had no room for layering. They're a nice jacket.

I layer up these days with Peloton 118 SS-T/Ultra Merino 120 Hoodie/Peloton 240 Zip Hoodie and then use a Super Down Pro Puffy and/or Ultra Lightweight rain jacket (I'm wearing Black Diamond rain gear). Sometimes I'll use the Guide DCS Vest if need be. For $99 you won't be disappointed.

Awesome, appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to testing it out!

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been wearing a Guide DCS for 4 years. I don't know if there is a better soft shell. The pro is probably great as well. For the majority of rain and snow you don't even need a rain jacket unless you are going to be in the wet for hours on end. The DWR coating is as good as it gets. It says a lot that most of the guys up in Alaska use that line, even people who are just up there for recreation.

I have been wearing a Guide DCS for 4 years. I don't know if there is a better soft shell. The pro is probably great as well. For the majority of rain and snow you don't even need a rain jacket unless you are going to be in the wet for hours on end. The DWR coating is as good as it gets. It says a lot that most of the guys up in Alaska use that line, even people who are just up there for recreation.
Great looking, good pocket storage for IPhone, etc., water resistant, light weight............... You'll be wearing it out on the town!

Lx675

FNG

Thanks for the info @Rathmatik. They were out of Large so will prob end up with a Guide pro if the reviews end up solid.

OP
Rathmatik

Rathmatik

Lil-Rokslider
It just arrived today, unfortunately it's a tad too big in the arms and overall length for me. Looks like I'll need to stick with Sitka jackets for now (my Stratus, Ambient, Mountain Evo all fit true to size).

Lx675

FNG
It just arrived today, unfortunately it's a tad too big in the arms and overall length for me. Looks like I'll need to stick with Sitka jackets for now (my Stratus, Ambient, Mountain Evo all fit true to size).
Good to know thanks for the update!