Kuiu noise evaluation?

I presently carry a Guide Jacket and an older model Chugach Jacket on my hunts. I wish I could just use one jacket all the time--for warmth, wind, and rain. The Chugach that I have is too noisy to wear when it's not raining. My question is: Is the newer Chugach much quieter than the older model? How about the Yukon Jacket? How do they compare to the noise of the Guide Jacket?

I have no experience with the old chugach only the new and I'm guessing old vs. new are the same noise level. The Yukon is a lot quieter but not equal to the guide. I chose Yukon over both.

The Yukon is quieter than the chugach but neither are quiet enough for me while bowhunting if it isn't raining. Back to the guide is my plan and carry some light weight rain gear for the rain. I have heard the sitka down pour is a pretty quiet option.

In the Rokslide article on evaluating rain gear, the Sitka Downpour and the newer Chugach both received an 8/10 in noise. First Lites was the quietest with a 10/10.

I bought the first lite Boundary storm tight rain coat based on that review. I love the jacket. Its well built and quiet as far as rain gear goes but that being said I dont think any rain gear is quiet enough to achieve acceptable bow hunting decibel level.

Ditch the soft-shell and get a wind shell, weighs around 5oz and keep your rain shell...If your that worried about the noise drop your shell before your stalk. Just an observation though if its raining it is usually plenty loud to cover the noise of my movement let alone my rain jacket.

How does the chugach compare to the guide jacket in terms of warmth? If I pick up the guide jacket I'm gonna go with the C4E torrent rain gear, but if the chugach is comparable to the guide for comfort and warmth I might just go that route. What do you guys think?

I was just looking for that review. How do you find the old reviews?

Go to the Rokslide home page and put your mouse pointer over the "Gear" tab on top of the page. Several options will appear. Choose the clothing option. You will find two rain gear articles in there by Matt Wymer. One called "Hardcore Rain Gear" and one called "Let it Rain; Lightweight rain jacket shootout" I fount the latter to be especially helpful when it came to me buying a rain shell.

How does the chugach compare to the guide jacket in terms of warmth? If I pick up the guide jacket I'm gonna go with the C4E torrent rain gear, but if the chugach is comparable to the guide for comfort and warmth I might just go that route. What do you guys think?

The Guide is quite a bit warmer than the Chugach. The Guide has a soft, fleece type liner.

Back