Kuiu piece you can’t hunt without?

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older kenai that goes with me everywhere. It is so versatile. Dries fast. Has taken lots of abuse. Breathes well. Seems like there might be better options out there now - like the ambient, but I can’t see myself moving away from the kenai any time soon.

sivart

WKR
240 hooded peloton, attack pants, yukon gaiters. Three pieces of gear I will never change. Everything else I have is up for replacement.

AKDoc

WKR
On 14-day remote drop hunts living out of a tent in Alaska, the following KUIU clothing items are always my go-to's:
  • Yukon rain jacket and pants
  • Axis pants and jacket (previously it was guide pants and jacket)
  • Kenai jacket
  • Super down LT hooded jacket and pants.
  • Yukon pro gloves and Northstar gloves
All the above have performed very well for me, they are great for layering, and I can rely on each item. Every item is a gen 1.0 version with a lot of wear over the years (the Axis are the newest additions just a few years ago).

If I had to pick an MVP out of the bunch for Alaska hunting, it would be the Yukon rain gear.

I’m guessing others now sell them, but for a long time the zip-off base layers were the best thing Kuiu made that you couldn’t get basically the exact same thing somewhere else.

May have been mentioned…
September and November are completely different seasons.

Early- Tiburon pants and Bino harness.

Mid- Attack pants and Bino harness.

Late- Guide pants and Bino harness

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that love the peleton 240, have you compared it to the kenai? In my experience, the peleton was warmer than it had any right to be, but it didn’t breathe well and wasn’t as versatile in variable temperatures. I have both and the peleton 240 always ends up staying at home.

what do you use as a base when you use the 97 as mid? The 97 is on my list for the same purpose.
My base is a Peloton 118 zip T, then the 97. Only time this order changes is if it's below 20 and I won't be very active, then the 97 is my base.

Reactions: CMF

prm

WKR
For those of you that love the peleton 240, have you compared it to the kenai? In my experience, the peleton was warmer than it had any right to be, but it didn’t breathe well and wasn’t as versatile in variable temperatures. I have both and the peleton 240 always ends up staying at home.
They are different to me. I would replace my Arcteryx Atom with the Kenai in my lineup. The 240 Peleton is essentially my shirt. Very thin base layer, then 240. After that I add insulation as necessary. The wind protection of the 240 makes everything work consistently regardless of wind.
The Kenai over the base and 240 would cover a lot of conditions.

stump06

WKR
If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Kutana pants. I love them for our season here. Attacks and tiburon are great as well. When the temps drop the Kenai jacket is always in my pack.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peloton 97 zip off bottoms. Warm, comfortable and I think the way kuiu does the zip off feature is superior to others.

ChrisAU

WKR
I wear Kutana pants for everything outdoors, all year long. From shooting competitions in July Georgia heat to October Colorado mountainsides below 0 degrees. I layer under as needed.

prm

WKR
On 14-day remote drop hunts living out of a tent in Alaska, the following KUIU clothing items are always my go-to's:
  • Axis pants and jacket (previously it was guide pants and jacket)

Axis Hybrid or Thermal Hybrid jacket? I’ve been eyeing these as an outer layer wet and cool conditions.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have owned a lot of their stuff, and, especially for the price, the peloton layers are some of my favorites. I use the 97 hoody, 200 hoody, and the 118 as a base. I am wearing at least one of those pieces, usually 2, through out all of hunting season. Warmth to weight ratio is great with the 97 and 200.

Seen a lot of people like the Kenai. Those that do, have you tried other active insulation? IMO the ambient is a much better active insulation piece. The Kenai just does not breathe well enough for me.

Their pants are tops for me. Been a tiburon and attack fan for a long time. Finally got a pair of kutanas and love those too. They seem like they will be ideal from 70s down close to freezing.

for colder temps, I like my set of axis hybrids. Great in cold snow and wet.

Apart from that, there zip off bottoms are with me once temps drop. The regular ones and the 97s are great.