Kuiu Rain Gear Questions

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know the real difference between all of kuiu’s rain gear options? I’m in the market for pants. I’m looking for the lightest set I can that will hold up to moderate brush busting. Light enough to always have but durable enough to be able to hike in if needed.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I've got some Yukon and some Chugach, although I'm not even sure that they make either of them any more? Have used the Yukon on a kodiak bear hunt, did well. Used the Chugach on a Idaho deer and NM Elk, and those held up just fine and were super light to pack away when it was dry.

I've had surprisingly good luck with the original version of the Chugach pants. I think they are on their 5th AK backcountry hunt next week, and worn nearly every day on those trips. Every year I add a small patch or two. I have a new pair of the Chugach TRs but haven't taken them on a trip yet because it alway seems the old pair has another trip left in them. The new Chugach feel lighter duty (and weight) than the old style but they claim more durable? Someday I'll find out. My hunting partner has the Yukons. They are definitely heavier duty but have about the same amount of patches from busting through the same brush at nearly twice the weight. Haven't seen or handled the Katanas yet. I don't use the tops I have a arcteryx for that. Good luck!

I’m in the market for pants. I’m looking for the lightest set I can that will hold up to moderate brush busting. Light enough to always have but durable enough to be able to hike in if needed.
For me, that's the Chugach. It is light enough that I bring it with me in all weather (including sunny with no rain/showers in the forecast) to keep me dry going through wet morning grass and brush, but it's also great in sustained multi-day rain. Most of my hunts are going through brush up to alpine, then spending a couple of days hunting up high in clear country and packing back out again (hopefully coming back heavy) through brush. But I bring the same Chugach pants when I'm occasionally hunting down low during rut hunts in here in Alaska (unless it's close to a road/truck/ATV still hunting and/or moving slow in which case real rain gear/PVC is fine). If I was a majority-time brush hunter and not doing high-exertion hunts, but still needing to be on the move some, I would get the Yukons-- in that case, without needing to shave ounces/pounds on multi-day high elevation hunts, the extra weight doesn't matter so may as well have the higher durability and reinforced knees/butt.

Last edited:

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I was quite impressed with how well the Kuiu Yukon raingear performed in SE Alaska this past week. Bombproof and dry. Best Kuiu gear I have purchased by a longshot.