Kuiu To Outfit Navy SEALS

Rucker61

WKR
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/03/21/premium-hunting-gear-company-outfit-elite-navy-seals/

"The US military’s various research and development arms may be world-renowned when it comes to designing advanced weapons and gear, but when it comes to camo, the US Navy SEALs want what they go hunting in. Kuiu, which produces premium, ultralight hunting and fishing clothing and gear, is about to step into a completely new arena after it announced that it was now producing combat-ready kits for the Naval Special Warfare Development Group (DEVGRU). According the Popular Mechanics, it all began when some Navy SEALs purchased Kuiu gear for some off-base hunting expeditions. It turned out that the SEALs were so impressed, they asked DEVGRU if it was possible to use Kuiu gear while on deployment. The company is now working on producing 34 full kits for the SEALs to take on deployment in the Middle East as a test run."

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,
while most of what was posted was OK, me and the mods agreed this thread had the potential to descend into anarchy. While we can handle some debate and even a few marketing jokes, I'd hate any thread on Rokslide to get ugly when it concerns our military. I've never served a day in my life but have the utmost respect for all our branches, and many Rokliders are military, so let's hit the reset button here.

If you stayed out of the fray and your post got deleted, sorry, it's too hard to pick through them all.

It'll be interesting to see what camo pattern they use. Vias and Verde were obviously created with animals in mind not humans, so I doubt they would want it in those patterns. Also, it'd be interesting to find out if their dies and chemicals are NIR compliant.

Good for them. There are some state wildlife law enforcement officers in Arkansas that use their clothing budget for KUIU as well.

jm1607

WKR
Is Kuiu made in the US?

China.

Was made in Canada until they bait and switched all their customers. People started to get Chinese clothes in the mail and called Kuiu asking them what's going on. They denied it for days then had a big announcement "We're moving to China and it's better for you!"

I think thats good for Kuiu and great for the hunting industry. Hunting companies getting good press is great for everyone.

Cledus

WKR
Also interested in seeing which pattern they use, or if they get a custom one. A good point was made on the positive impacts being made from a hunting company supplying our armed forces.

It is good press for the hunting industry, but I fear that it'll drive these prices even higher and make availability even longer than it already is.

To the guys wondering about the camo pattern, I read this in the Popular Mechanics article:

"Now that he's working for DEVGRU, Hairston says, he's working up a new camouflage to go on their "skin-to-shell" kit—meaning Kuiu provides every clothing layer they need."

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
That's a nice "get" for KUIU. Wonder why the special forces didn't go with Kryptek? They really tout their military background and one would think they would be the shoe in for gear.

The branches use different camo patterns as you already know. Army SOF is big with multi-cam right now so until that contract runs out, kryptek won't be considered. Now that the rest of the army has the OCP (mc look alike) I don't see that contract going anywhere soon.

Kuiu getting the nod from the seals isn't surprising, all SOF initially started with Patagonia systems.

Floorguy

WKR
I got a chance to talk to Butch one time he wore Sitka in Afghanistan at one point before kryptek was founded. I am willing to bet fabrics get changed due to the IR signature. Butch had mentioned they had to use completely different fabrics for the .mil trials. Kryptek is already being fielded by some units

Last edited:
I am willing to bet fabrics get caged due to the IR signature. Butch had mentioned they had to use completely different fabrics for the .mil trials.

Yeah, this is what I meant about NIR compliance. Commercial clothing and fabrics are designed to not fade over time, but in the process they end up enhancing outside the visible spectrum. Hunting companies focus on UV exposure but the military cares a lot more about IR signature. All you have to do is take a USGI item and a non-mil manufacturer and put them in front of a night vision security camera to see the difference. Try a black t-shirt and you will light up like a Christmas tree.

I think it goes without saying, we all have very strong opinions about KUIU the clothing, KUIU the company and it's owner. Beyond that hot topic, I do think it is nice to see american companie's' innovation advance what our men/women need in combat. Perhaps it is a dead end in the long run, but our government waste, lack of innovation, astronomical cost when they do innovate, is a disgrace. So if Sitka, Kryptek, KUIU and others can get in the mix, Good for them....

Drifli

Banned
This is great news. I'm excited for KUIU and it couldn't happen to a more standup company and owner.

Drifli

Banned
Is Kuiu made in the US?

I tried to find a company who doesn't use products from overseas in there packs and gear - I tried and not one of the big name company's could write back saying there product was 100% USA made, they liked saying major percentages and all are products are sewen in USA, but not one has responded with yes everything is 100% made in the USA.

I tried to find a company who doesn't use products from overseas in there packs and gear - I tried and not one of the big name company's could write back saying there product was 100% USA made, they liked saying major percentages and all are products are sewen in USA, but not one has responded with yes everything is 100% made in the USA.

Kifaru and Beyond Clothing are the ones that I am aware of that source their materials from the USA. These things are called "Berry Compliant" to try to win government contracts and often touted. ARC'TERYX makes a single softshell from 2013 that is compliant, but no others. Seek Outside says Made in the USA, but whether they are Berry Compliant you'd have to ask them.

http://tacticalgear.com/berry-compliant-military-clothing

Almost all clothing on Beyond Clothing's site say Berry Compliant on the product page.

Last edited:

Drifli

Banned
Kifaru and Beyond Clothing are the ones that I am aware of that source their materials from the USA. These things are called "Berry Compliant" to try to win government contracts and often touted. ARC'TERYX makes a single softshell from 2013 that is compliant, but no others. Seek Outside says Made in the USA, but whether they are Berry Compliant you'd have to ask them.

http://tacticalgear.com/berry-compliant-military-clothing

Almost all clothing on Beyond Clothing's site say Berry Compliant on the product page.

You are correct - there are 23 countries you can source from and still be (berry compliant), then there is FTC compliance. The wording used by some of the touted made in the USA company's could easily be called into question. I think if someone is makeing a great product and it holds up I don't care where it's made - I have come to the realization made in America is darn near impossible.
MR has been called into question recently and they are great packs. The fire packs even went through the arduous UL testing so they could be used by certain Wildland Fire agency's who wouldn't let employes use the product till it was certified.
I think the whole bashing these company's is BS. I'm happy for KUIU and happy for everyone who makes the gear we all desire and love.

Last edited:
Off topic, but there was a link somewhere that had one of the military branches jumping in water and then going through a warm up process with their technical clothes on. Anyone have that?