Lack of Tent Oxygen - Can't Sleep

treillw

WKR
Have you ever noticed that you can't fall asleep in a tent because there isn't enough ventilation/oxygen? I don't just mean from stale, gross air, making you uncomfortable. I don't recall that feeling at all in my name examples really.

I can recall quite a few times where I was laying in the tent or truck camper cap in a daze for hours, not able to fall asleep. Introduce some fresh air and I'm sleeping like a baby.

One time in particular, I was sleeping in a SUV with two other guys. Same thing - laying there in a daze, half asleep. The one guy started saying that there needs to be more air in here and opened up his door. I don't remember what happened after that - I was out.

Other times I've had the tent closed up because I was worried about rain or cold - same story and fix. Laying there, not worried about animals or anything and just can't sleep for some odd reason.

I've just noticed it over many years. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I crazy?

I’ve wondered about this when I sleep in my camper shell in the back of my truck that’s sealed up fairly well but never had any trouble falling asleep. I do sleep with a cpap that’s forcing air, but it’s not creating any more of it.

I have noticed it at higher elevations - oxygen is thinner, takes a couple nights for the body to acclimate. I don’t think there are any tents or cars that are so sealed up that it would limit oxygen though…

Marshfly

WKR
The body sleeps better in cool air. An enclosed environment will be harmer than the ambient with no A/C. Pop that window and get some cooler air and there you go.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The temperature thing probably has something to do with it. Although, camping at 20 below in the Cimmaron with my wife and the fire going with two feet of snow pinning the walls down doesn't remind me of having a balmy warm time! That air has to get stale pretty quick.

Same with 3 guys in a jeep grand Cherokee. The windows fog up while driving from too many people being in there sometimes. Add all that air sucking up over 6 hours of sleep with no real ventilation, something has to happen to the air.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
You need to have air in a camper that fills 28" x 28" x 28" beyond the space filled by your body and the fixtures, stack of clothes, etc. A NBA regulation basketball is close to that volume so take along two basketballs and place in your tent or camper then toss them outside as are falling asleep and you will be good. If are two people in your camper, toss out 4 basketballs. I personally do not enjoy sealed up spaces so I often sleep with a window or vent slightly open even in sub-freezing temperatures and mostly so I only have to pack along one basketball.

Calcoyote

FNG
I have had that same problem, but mine was not lack of oxygen in the tent:

A change in elevation is a common trigger for insomnia. All you have to do is read about altitude sickness. Previously when I would go on backpacking I would hike into elevation 7-9000 feet higher than what I lived at. The first couple of nights of the trip I would just lay in my sleeping bag and stare at the tent ceiling for hours. After a couple of days my body began to adapt to the change in altitude I would sleep fine.

The other thing is medical science tells us that humans have a built in survival mechanism that does not allow the brain to completely shut down when sleeping in a strange place for the first night. The brain stays alert for any danger since it is not the normal place you are accustomed to. This too goes away after the first night or two.

Years ago I went to my doctor and told him about it and he gave me a prescription for a very light dosage of Ambien (a sleeping pill). I would take one about 45 min before bedtime and fall asleep and wake up the next morning feeling great. BUT, remember that alcohol and sleeping pills do NOT mix. If you are going to consume alcohol, then sleeping pills are not an option.

ODB

WKR
I’ll always have some sort of vent open in my tent or cap. I sleep hot as three yards of hell so if there is no breeze it’s stifling, I also just gaze into the nothingness. When I was in Kenya I was dismayed at how many soft beds I found in hot areas. Who the hell wants to sink into a bed and smother when the lows are 85 with no AC?? Insanity.

Can’t say it’s due to an O2 thing though. Maybe it’s the movement of air that calms our reptile brain that we are not being suffocated so we can relax.

Geewhiz

WKR
I dont think I could be convinced that a pickup bed with a shell on it seals up to anywhere near air tight. I think its mental or some other factor, not lack of oxygen..

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Your tent is in a lot better condition than mine if your getting so little air flow in and out of it that you run low on oxygen

zacattack

WKR
Man what kind of tent are you using that’s it’s sealed that good? Even cars aren’t air tight.

It’s probably altitude change. CO2 buildup will actually make you sleep really, really well, like dead.

Like others have already said, it’s purely mental or a comfort factor based on temperature. Lack of oxygen will make you fall asleep faster.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I can’t get past the “3 guys sleeping in an SUV”… lol. I’ve spent many nights in my 4Runner during weekend hunting trips by myself, it’s why I like a 4x4 SUV for a hunting vehicle, but I’d be damned if I’d cram into one with 2 other dudes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time in particular, I was sleeping in a SUV with two other guys. Same thing - laying there in a daze, half asleep. The one guy started saying that there needs to be more air in here and opened up his door.
Maybe one of them was tea bagging you & blocked your nostrils?

I don't remember what happened after that - I was out.
Was one of them Bill Cosby?

JUST KIDDING! Sorry, been a long week bro. LOL

Only lack of O2 I have experienced was from the mountain house farts.

Never failed, you were almost asleep and one went off.

Even if you could get past the smell the damn humor of it woke you back up.

But I like memes, and thinks farts are funny.
Seems a lot of yall don't have my humor, want to be a woman and think farts are disgusting.