late in the game for 2024... need some guidance

my wife and I have been elk hunitng in southern colorado for the last few years and this year we do not have access to private land that we typically hunt. it was leased to one group of hunters for the entire archery season so we are out. unfortunately, i just learned of this recently and am scrambling to put something together fo me and the wife for archery elk.

are there any states that have any posssible draws or otc besides colorado? I'm not too familiar with hunting other states so i dont know all of the deadlines and requirements. I know Idaho has OTC but i think i just read that those tags sell out quick in december. also, idaho is a long drive from Houston Texas.

if anyone has some insight or suggestions on states that may have possible archery for elk besides colorado otc id appreciate the help. still kinda bummed on the private land. wish i would have been told ahead of time that it was going to be unavailble so i could plan accordingly.

Utah has general and you can still apply for the draw.

You can get on a turn back list for Montana general.

There will be turn back tags in Idaho and it’s a race for the tags every other week I believe.

Colorado you can obviously get a turn back or hunt otc.

Washington has otc.

TheTone

WKR
No public land available or worthwhile near where you’ve been going in CO?

OP
ddavis_1313
CO still has the secondary draw and leftovers to come

I just put in for PP. my wife and I both have 7 elk points and letting them build for now. I’ve killed two elk with my bow (rag horn and small 6x with a broken main beam) and she has a pope and young. We are both happy with meat and don’t mind the challenge of otc. Is the secondary draw a lottery and not point related? I can’t remember. I’ll for sure put in if I don’t have to sacrifice points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
No public land available or worthwhile near where you’ve been going in CO?

There is a chunk of public close by. It’s not real big (60,000 acres) and it gets pressure for sure. I spent a week in there hunting a basin for opening week about 7 years ago. Was my first western hunt and I was solo. Found tons of 2 week old sign. They moved out right before season where I was at. Never saw anyone hunting and the trail head only had 5 cars. That’s changed in 7 years. There are cars parked off the main highway in various places now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Points are only used and issued in the primary application for Colorado. Secondary draw is preference to youth so it really is a donation of your application fee to the CPW. Unless there are hundreds of tags available an adult likely won't draw anything. The leftover and reissued tags you do have a chance but it's difficult.

my wife and I have been elk hunitng in southern colorado for the last few years and this year we do not have access to private land that we typically hunt. it was leased to one group of hunters for the entire archery season so we are out. unfortunately, i just learned of this recently and am scrambling to put something together fo me and the wife for archery elk.

are there any states that have any posssible draws or otc besides colorado? I'm not too familiar with hunting other states so i dont know all of the deadlines and requirements. I know Idaho has OTC but i think i just read that those tags sell out quick in december. also, idaho is a long drive from Houston Texas.

if anyone has some insight or suggestions on states that may have possible archery for elk besides colorado otc id appreciate the help. still kinda bummed on the private land. wish i would have been told ahead of time that it was going to be unavailble so i could plan accordingly.
Utah might be your best bet for a draw, otherwise looking at left overs and otc