Late season fleece options

fishslap

WKR
Looking for suggestions or experience for a late season fleece jacket. Use would be still hunting western whitetail and mule deer from a truck camp (not backpacking). I listed some options below. I have the Cabela’s Berber fleece and it’s ok but I’m looking for something a bit warmer without significant weight increase. Down isn’t great for me when moving and my pack/bino harness compresses it. Leaning towards Kuiu or one of the code of silence.

- Cabelas Berber Fleece (No hood): $89.99, app. 3lb 2oz
- Code of Silence Zone 7 Versa (hood): $170, 2lb 8oz
- Code of Silence Coldfjall Parka (hood): $270, 4lb 5oz
- First Lite Sanctuary (hood) (not exactly fleece): $304, 3lb 10oz
- Kuiu Proximity (hood): $299, 1lb 15oz
- Under Armour Rut (hood): $200, weight not available
- Natural Gear Winter Ceptor Jacket (no hood): $124.99, weight not available

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar boat-that quiet, warm outer layer that can be used for late season/still hunting. I haven't tried anything on your list but have used the Sitka Traverse (older style and I'm not in love with the fit) and the Kryptek Vellus (worth looking at, but the wind membrane would get a little squeaky in the cold. It may be inconsequential to the game, but it bothered me to have to hear it lol). I'm really interested in Kuiu's Strongfleece 275 (I have the older 210 that I like, but it's more of a midlayer/early season piece). I'll probably order one to replace the pile of other stuff/soft shells that just don't tickle my fancy.

Their windstopper/windproof. It's comparable to the one I use and a very good jacket for cold weather layering. The jacket I'm currently using is no longer available, but that Mountain Hardware jacket is almost identical.

Bump79

WKR
You're not quite in the right place - this forum is specifically geared towards backpack/active hunting. Personally, I wouldn't use any of those as they aren't part of a layering system that works for western and whitetail.

*zap*

WKR
The military surplus fleece rain jacket liners are toasty especially if you put a windproof layer over them. Fairly economical and on par with the 'best' brands.

easy-None of these have windblocker but are synthetic with a quiet face fabric. Fleece just isn't that warm, unless you go to a hybrid with insulation

Stone glacier Ciruque
Kuiu Kenai
Mountain hard ware kora

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
easy-None of these have windblocker but are synthetic with a quiet face fabric. Fleece just isn't that warm, unless you go to a hybrid with insulation

Stone glacier Ciruque
Kuiu Kenai
Mountain hard ware kora
Or you could try FORLOH - 100% Made in America

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
You're not quite in the right place - this forum is specifically geared towards backpack/active hunting. Personally, I wouldn't use any of those as they aren't part of a layering system that works for western and whitetail.
I think you’re incorrect on pretty much all points and you don’t know what still hunting is. I backpack hunt also but there is plenty of discussion on this forum for non backpack hunt oriented gear and tactics. If you don’t have input to the question asked, no need to reply. My question is based specifically on experience hunting western whitetail in very cold temps where my heavier fleece seemed to result in a less clammy feel while still hunting with a backpack where hiking in several miles was beneficial. Back on topic please.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishslap

WKR
The military surplus fleece rain jacket liners are toasty especially if you put a windproof layer over them. Fairly economical and on par with the 'best' brands.
Thanks. I use one of the marine surplus mid weight fleece over wool layers and it works great for warmth to weight.