Late Season Sleep Set Ups

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my problem: on multiple late season backpack hunts, Ive lost my Xtherm sleeping pad to punctures. I understand you can patch the pad but this isnt always a great option. sometimes the holes are VERY dificult to find and you spend a whole day or most of it dealing with the problem. Foam pads obviously dont have this issue, but none of them have the R value keep you warm in the sub freezing temps. You could stack foam pads but the space requirement for that is substantial in a backpack. Stoves are nice, but they go out if you dont feed them throughout the night.

Anyone solve this yet?

I've only punctured my Xtherm once, have well north of 100 nights on either an Xtherm or the XLite. In winter car camp mode I do put a foam pad underneath it. Backpacking I'll put polycro underneath. I would think you could keep your Xtherm by just protecting it better with a ground sheet. Or alternatively picking up a more robust pad.

I wonder how durable the Exped's are? I would guess 'more,' but would probably still use a ground sheet.

I always use a piece of Tyvek under my pad in floorless shelters. Punctures haven't been an issue for me yet. (knocking on wood...)

Lando

WKR
I always use tyvek and a foam pad too for winter outings. Foam pad doubles as an insulating seat from the snow and adds to r value.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I always have tyvek or polycro under mine. Also use a 1/2 length zrest or full length depending on season which doubles as a glassing pad

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could use a pad with a more durable outer material.
Xtherm is already 70d on the bottom. Nothing else in that R value and weight class uses 70d.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Thermarest (Cascade Designs) has great CS. You could probably send in your pad to be patched and tested.

Add a cheap foam pad and or polycro underneath your xtherm and it will be bomb proof

I have become A big fan of matty mcmatt face in lieu of a ground sheet. I run one under my inflator pad (sea to summit etherlight) on almost every trip. not much r value but i haven’t had my inflator punctured since I started using it. Folded over a few times, it makes a great sit pad. For cold, cold I bring a thermarest ridge rest or z rest.

OP
JGood

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses.

it sounds like there’s no bomb proof alternative. I’ve always run a ground sheet as well in a floorless but the mice don’t seem to care much. (I’ve lost two that way)

Unfortunately customer service isn’t the issue, durability is. You can pretty much go into any REI garage sale and see a stack of patched up sleeping pads.

I think there’s a market for someone to build a foam pad with an R value of 6+