CO late season mike deer boots

cgill54

FNG
Need help finding a good pair of late season boots as my feet get cold somewhat easy while glassing. I have a pair of crispi nevadas that I have 200 ish miles in and I love them. Problem is they are not insulated and I want to be fully prepared for this hunt. I will be bringing the Nevadas along in case there is decent weather but want to have a good pair of insulated boots to throw on depending on the conditions and weather outlook for when we get there. Been looking around rokslide and different boot companies trying to find the answers to my questions but can’t seem to find them all. My biggest question is what insulation do you all recommend? I have no experience with insulated boots. The boots I have been looking at are kennetrek mountain extremes (400g), the Hanwag trapper top gtx (can’t find insulation value?) and a couple different crispis that range anywhere from 200g to 800g. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Wapiti1

WKR
400g Hoffman Explorer or equivalent. Kennetrek is a good boot, but they don't fit me well.

If you expect snow, and cold, Hoffman Outback pacs with two pair of liners to swap out each day. Really a good pac for mountain hunting. They climb well.

I find pacs warmer even with the lower weight liner than a 400 gram leather boot. Leather boots cinch up tighter and compress the insulation making it less effective.

One tip for glassing it to loosen your laces when you get there and let more blood circulate in your feet.

Jeremy

Lowa Tibet superwarm gtx. 400gr primaloft. I love mine.

They also make a 200gr hunter or some such.

I do not like to wear insulated boots, but here in Colorado I wear uninsulated mountaineering boots. When the snow is over a foot deep I switch to plastic boots.

Crispi west river 2.0s (scheels exclusive) have served me well in cold temps. But i dont have the attention span to sit and glass for 8 hours. If I was worried I’d try the crispi wild rock pluses.

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
Crispi west river 2.0s (scheels exclusive) have served me well in cold temps. But i dont have the attention span to sit and glass for 8 hours. If I was worried I’d try the crispi wild rock pluses.
So our hunt is going to be structured something along the lines of waking up and hiking to a glassing spot, glassing for a few hours (maybe 3 or 4 at the max) and then still hunting the middle of the day and glassing for the last few hours of the day. I’ve narrowed it down to 400g boots or 800g boots. Both boots are the exact ones you mentioned. What would you recommend for a hunt like that? 400g is what I’m leaning towards and changing socks when sitting down to glass and bringing foot warmers, I have 2 nice pairs of heavy weight darn tough socks that I will be wearing. but 800g sounds like it would be too much for still hunting the middle of the day.

I don’t even notice the 400g in the west rivers, as in I don’t feel they are bulky or hinder me in any way. I would assume I would feel the same about the wild rock. Id go try them on and see if you notice a big difference. I’m doing the same hunt this year, and I plan on bringing two pairs of west rivers, kenetrek heavy socks and foot/toe warmers…they work well during freezing duck hunts, *shoulder shrug*

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
400 Grams of thinsulate isn't a lot if you are stationary most of the day......assuming it is cold out. A lot will also depend upon the individual and your tolerance for cold.....sound like you get cold easy. I know my own tolerance has changed over the years and I have started using our 800 gram Hunter more and more for my November hunts. When it does get really cold, 0 to 15 degrees and I am sitting, the Mountaineer pacs are tough to beat. A lot will depend on how much you are moving during the day. If your hunt is a bit earlier and weather is still somewhat warmer, the 400 gram Explorer or equivalent would probably work. I just like erring to the side of warmth.

10ringer

WKR
Wear your normal uninsulated hunting boots. Have spare socks to swap out when you stop hiking and hit your glassing point. Use insulated boot covers like the artic shield in the photo. If its real nasty throw in hand warmers. Wear gaitors in snow. All this and your feet will be happy
cbc071bd7cf19117014390b8ed5c2769.jpg

dtrkyman

WKR
I used un insulated hikers with attic shields in the single digits late season, was Arizona and New Mexico so it warms up during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lando

WKR
boot covers are good. I have the arctic ones above and wiggy's ones. Wiggy's are warmer and better made, but they're both good.

elkman224

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 800 gram Meindls and when its super cold, aka, single digits, I place to warmers on TOP of my toes. Never had an issue. If still cold, place them on top and bottom.