Layering system help

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to ask for advice on putting together the last pieces of my layering system. I hunt the mountain west and Great Basin states for mule deer, mainly September and October. Maybe November if I’m ever lucky enough to draw a rut tag.

I love the layers I’ve put together so far, they perform very well, and I’m looking to add a couple final pieces: down/insulation and an outer layer (rain and or windbreaker).

Here’s what I have so far:

Sitka ascent pant
Sitka mountain pant
Sitka heavyweight bottom base layer
Sitka crew lightweight long sleeve
Sitka heavyweight hoody
Sitka ambient hoody
King’s XKG transition flex jacket (going to sell)

I used all of the above except for the ambient on my September hunt, and stayed plenty warm and dry in the backcountry. However, if I were to encounter colder/wetter conditions in the future, I’d definitely need a warmer coat than the transition flex, and some kind of wind/water protection.

I should add that I’m open to any brand, and don’t care between camo or solid colors for the puffy, since that’s mainly worn when glassing only.

If you were in my shoes, what would you add to the system? Assuming the King’s jacket will go

Last edited:
If you're sticking with sitka and going with barklow's 8 piece layering system, the pieces you should add are:

Puffy-Kelvin lite Down
Windstopper- Jetstream or mountain jacket

You also need dedicated rain gear and if you're not planning on using it much, I'd go with a dew point jacket and pant.

Should have a complete system and all your bases covered after adding those things to what you currently have.

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
If you're sticking with sitka and going with barklow's 8 piece layering system, the pieces you should add are:

Puffy-Kelvin lite Down
Windstopper- Jetstream or mountain jacket

You also need dedicated rain gear and if you're not planning on using it much, I'd go with a dew point jacket and pant.

Should have a complete system and all your bases covered after adding those things to what you currently have.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I’ve heard of people using rain gear for both the wind and rain. Are there pros and cons to this? I’d imagine the rain gear could be a louder material, but what would you say the benefit over weight is in carrying two pieces for wind and rain?

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations.

I’ve heard of people using rain gear for both the wind and rain. Are there pros and cons to this? I’d imagine the rain gear would possibly be louder, and that could be a benefit to carrying two separate pieces, using rain gear only for rain
You're welcome.

You can use rain gear for both. It's going to be significantly louder. If you were going to use it to block wind, I'd only do it while sitting and not moving. If you do use it while moving when it's not raining and needed to keep you dry, you risk comprising the rain gear and it keeping you dry when you need it.
Why risk it?
The jetstream jacket is going to perform better and be much quieter. It also sheds water very well so in a light rain situation you might not even need to switch out to rain gear.

I'll also say that having dedicated rain gear that never gets used and just rides around in your pack taking up weight and space is definitely well worth it when it does downpour and you pull it out and know it's going to work and keep you dry.

You can usually catch the dew point on sale if you shop around and are patient.

But you don't have to stick to sitka if you want to save some money. Outdoor Research, Patagonia, and other outdoor technical clothing companies have some great pieces of rain gear as well and they go on sale more often and usually not as pricey to start.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d like to ask for advice on putting together the last pieces of my layering system. I hunt the mountain west and Great Basin states for mule deer, mainly September and October. Maybe November if I’m ever lucky enough to draw a rut tag.

I love the layers I’ve put together so far, they perform very well, and I’m looking to add a couple final pieces: down/insulation and an outer layer (rain and or windbreaker).

Sitka ascent pant
Sitka mountain pant
Sitka heavyweight hoody
Sitka ambient hoody

I used all of the above except for the ambient on my September hunt, and stayed plenty warm and dry in the backcountry. However, if I were to encounter colder/wetter conditions in the future, I’d definitely need a warmer coat than the transition flex, and some kind of wind/water protection.

I should add that I’m open to any brand, and don’t care between camo or solid colors for the puffy, since that’s mainly worn when glassing only.

If you were in my shoes, what would you add to the system? Assuming the King’s jacket will go
3-Layer systems are nothing new in the outdoor clothing. Some companies started out making base layers, others started by making down jackets - but FORLOH started from the skin out and designed an integrated system of a highly breathable and warm baselayer, then developed a uniquely breathable and exceptionally warm down. Finally, the waterproof protection layer. All are designed to work together to provide warmth and protection without trapping moisture on the inside.

Wrench

WKR
I have 2 jetstream jackets. I won't wear them again since the Bora showed up. The bora is everything the jetstream is except it vents sweat like a machine and fends off water better. I seam seal bora pants and they serve as rain gear too.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Research Coldfront puffy jackets are on sale right now. They're great jackets for the money. Very warm.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sitka ascent pant
Sitka mountain pant
Sitka heavyweight hoody
Sitka ambient hoody

is the heavyweight hoody and ambient hoodie similar? i thought they were both active insulation pieces. maybe you could sell one to fund a stationary insulation jacket and rain jacket? i got a navy sitka dewpoint for around 100 from europtic. ive seen the kelvin lite for around 100 too if you want sitka. I would also look at solids from rei, mtn hardware, outdoor research, and eddie bauer. they get discounted heavily around this time.

Lots of great info in this thread already. Great to see.
The big front runner brands are starting to master the layering idea. Kuiu, Forloh, Sitka, stone glacier ext…. Take the time to figure out what particular items in a layering system works for you. The challenge I find is that it’s almost impossible for one company to make every item of the system to fit my body shape and my desired weight, strength, warmth, waterproof, windproof and budgets needs/wants.
I’m prefer having more thinner layers over having a couple of thicker ones. Give me the chance to regulate and control my temp and moisture easier and if things get wet then they dry quicker. With the exception of cold snowy weather, -20C, when I love down. Puffies have got the be one of the best things to stay warm with. If your rain gear isn’t great then a synthetic puffy might be better as it stay warm when wet.

Be aware that mixing and matching brand can present the challenge of not knowing how much larger they increase their items while maintaining the same listed size. You can always email them and get more measurements if required. They may respond or they may not. Sitka did not for me so far. Finding stores that stock items and trying lots is also an option as the layers should fit over and under each other neatly. You can also order and return items a bunch which is what I’ve been forced to do.
My system:
Upper-

I’m stuck with a bit of Sitka as there are very few brands that do tall upper systems.

Base - merino thermal if cold or synthetic form fitting if mild (varying brands)

Mid - Sitka heavyweight or fanatic hoody

Wind - Sitka Evo jacket (breaks the wind and still breaths nicely for me)

Puffy - Eddie Bauer (make affordable tall size down jackets, not camo, a little noisy but I usually put the Evo over it or it’s under a rain gear or just glassing so noise is not an issue)

Rain jacket - Sitka dew point (again stuck as they do tall sizes, the dew point is also light and fairly thin so it drys quick which is exactly what I a like. I just take care when hiking in it to avoid thick nasty stuff)
Bottoms-

I’m still figuring this one out.
Base - merino thermal or some brand thermal as required

Mid - American tall fleece pants with leg zips (again I’m stuck with tall brands and like leg zips for way on/off and venting) down should be ok but I have fear them getting wet to easy so I do fleece.

Pants - still figuring these out, front runners are; kuiu attack, Sitka intercept, born primitive, jfallraven, wrangler stretch cargo, or just my Levi’s…. 🤷‍♂️, skinny leg problems…)

Rain pant - yet to get but I’m stuck between a few brands - kutana from kuiu, M5 from SG, and Karakoram from mountain hardware. For me they need to be light enough to pack around but tough enough to hike in the Canadian bush. I would also like them to be suspender compatible as I hate rain gear that conflict with my packs waist belt)

Gaiter - everyone raves about the Yukons but they are too short for me. Tall person pains. So I went with hart knee high gaiters, they come up high and cover my knees which I actually love. No need to knee pads and they save my pants when kneeling.

The short and long of it all, is that you need to build what works for your hunting style, location, body shape and time of year. Never stop learning! 👌

Best of luck!

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
is the heavyweight hoody and ambient hoodie similar? i thought they were both active insulation pieces. maybe you could sell one to fund a stationary insulation jacket and rain jacket? i got a navy sitka dewpoint for around 100 from europtic. ive seen the kelvin lite for around 100 too if you want sitka. I would also look at solids from rei, mtn hardware, outdoor research, and eddie bauer. they get discounted heavily around this time.
You’re spot on. I bought the ambient later, after hearing reviews on the warmth and moisture wicking. Heavyweight might become obsolete in my gear list now.

Sounds like I need to keep an eye out for sales! $100 for either of those is a steal

You’re spot on. I bought the ambient later, after hearing reviews on the warmth and moisture wicking. Heavyweight might become obsolete in my gear list now.

Sounds like I need to keep an eye out for sales! $100 for either of those is a steal
I'm sorry I meant kelvin down is around 200. Rogers had some sizes 179 and 229 an I think it was on the sitka site for 179 for black Friday. Keep an eye out. Mtn archery also has good sitka sales

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 jetstream jackets. I won't wear them again since the Bora showed up. The bora is everything the jetstream is except it vents sweat like a machine and fends off water better. I seam seal bora pants and they serve as rain gear too.
Where can I find the bora jacket? Sounds like a good option

pirogue

WKR
Whatever you get, I’d suggest you make sure the tag on it clearly identifies the weight and type material, and if it doesn’t, clearly mark it. I have several pieces of Kuiu from the first couple years, and neither the weight nor the material are marked and tagged like they do now. Only people that could identify them would probably be members of the ILGWU.