length from start of front bell to end of eye piece for NF SHV 3-10x42?

raisins

FNG

I need to know the distance from the start of the front objective bell (end of tube up front) to the last lens closest to your eye (in the eye piece).

The manual page 17 does not give the eyepiece or front objective lengths required to calculate this. I emailed NF and got a non-tech person that doesn't understand this and thinks that the manual's diagram provides all information.

Can someone measure this or have access to the proper diagram with more measurements?

JFK

WKR
If I understand your question correctly I got 8.25”. That is from where the objective transitions to a flat, mountable surface, to the lens that on the exterior of the eyepiece. I took off a bit as there is rubber on the eye piece and tried to give the measurement to the actual lens. My calipers are loaned out so just threw a tape on it mounted in the rifle, so probably not a dead nuts measurement but should give you a decent idea. They are short scopes, with a very short mounting surface.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
If I understand your question correctly I got 8.25”. That is from where the objective transitions to a flat, mountable surface, to the lens that on the exterior of the eyepiece. I took off a bit as there is rubber on the eye piece and tried to give the measurement to the actual lens. My calipers are loaned out so just threw a tape on it mounted in the rifle, so probably not a dead nuts measurement but should give you a decent idea. They are short scopes, with a very short mounting surface.

Thanks so much for taking the time. Before I saw your post, I did a little "on the screen using a ruler and ratios" action and got 8.65" (but that includes that rubber on the eye piece and how they had the focus adjusted for the pic). I'll use your numbers instead, but them being so close tells me that you understood exactly what I meant.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Mounting length is 5.1, just measure from the rear tube junction to the rear lens and add it to the 5.1. I just us a cheap pair of plastic calipers with felt on the lens leg of the caliper to avoid scatches.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
Mounting length is 5.1, just measure from the rear tube junction to the rear lens and add it to the 5.1. I just us a cheap pair of plastic calipers with felt on the lens leg of the caliper to avoid scatches.

agreed, but the issue is that i didn't have the scope in hand to measure that last bit you add to 5.1 inches and it isn't in nightforce's literature

Weldor

WKR
Got ya. I have one so if you need more info just let me know.

So you want to know.
From the bell to tube transition. Aka the farthest place you can mount a front ring.
To the rear of the objective lens?