Leopold VX-5 upgrade?

Is it worth upgrading a Leupold VX-5?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • You're not going to know the difference at under 300 yards.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

roymunson

WKR
I've been reading (probably too much) about how worthless Leupold optics are and how many better options there are out there, so I wanted to legitimately ask those who've used Leupold and left them, Is it worth doing so?

I have a Moose/Grizzly hunt in Alaska this fall and my 300WSM is shooting well. I have a Winchester Model 70 with a couple extras on it (muzzle brake, trigger work, and stock) and I have a VX-5 3x15x44 on it. I like it. it has an adjustable turrett, but as I was shooting last week and the barrel got hot/ambient temp got hot, I noticed my MOA adjustments started to drift. It coulda been shooter fatigue (I'm working on my form, but I'm not perfect), it coulda been a warm barrel, or a barrel that needed cleaned, but I don't want to have those doubts in my mind at the moment of truth.

Most of the hunting situations will have me shooting 200-300 yards in the field. Is it worth the money to upgrade? Or should I stand pat and keep shooting?

I've spent enough money on this hunt that a couple hundred extra dollars is worth it to make sure we're right on. But I also may be making a lot out of nothing.

Thoughts?

amassi

WKR
As you alluded, for what you spent on that hunt a $1600 NightForce nxs is cheap insurance.
You wandering adjustments weren’t a warm or dirty barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
so if you're going to upgrade, whats it going to be to? an NXS?

The plan is for this to be my western hunting gun and i'll tote it around on other hunts.

amassi

WKR
For your Alaska hunt the nxs 2.5-10 same weight as your vx5 but a proven scope, illumination etc.

Second choice would be trijicon tenmile 3-18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
Ditch the vx5. Mine consistently had a wandering zero from riding in a pelican case in the back seat of my truck and failed to return to zero.

I sent it back to leupold and they said it was fine. Sold it with its new clean bill of health

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I’m leaning towards a 2.5x10 Nightforce. Don’t see a lot of negative noise on those

For my sample size of 1, I've had a vx5 on my 7mag for several years, and hundreds and hundreds of rounds so far. Haven't had a single hiccup. Go shoot again without making the barrel super hot and see what happens to your zero. If you just feel like buying a new scope, go for it. New stuff is fun. If you really want to know if the scope is acting up, make a few more trips to the range for tests and come up with data. You'll figure out if there is a scope issue, and you'll get to practice your fundamentals. That'll tell you need vs want. Good luck either way. Cheers!