Lets see your Alaskan Blacktails

curly

FNG
57b4d352-6309-4833-a295-1338fdcfb622_zps3c36295b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Jason where are you going? First time? I'm going to POW...First time to Alaska.

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Too Cool! Best of luck to ya! I'm flying in to Ketchikan August 22nd...heading home September 8th.

Ray

WKR
P4280353_zps8c418816.jpg

Cool "shed" I found while walking a project site on Kupreanof Island. A bear ate the nose but did not get into the bain case. It took an hour to get the brain muck washed out in a tide pool. I will let it keep cooking in a triple bagged bucket and then finish it with a slow boil and then bleach.

swmoelk

FNG
I'm planning a 2016 Pow deer/ bear and fishing trip for 4 people. I was wondering about the deer there. Are they all in the alpine in September? Planning on 2nd week. Anyone have any suggestions for someone planning this kind of trip? It's an Alaska vacation for 3 of us but I'm dying to get on some alpine deer with the Hoyt. This thread has me wishing my life away. Thanks

That's a tough one. What you are suggesting can be done of course, but a couple factors will be playing against you. Mid September is when the deer start filtering out of the alpine and just flat disappear until rut. NOT ALL of course, you will still probably be able to see some animals up high, but the numbers are going to be way down. And also, a lot of the bears are going to be down working the salmon streams (generally NOT in the alpine). Then trying to work in the fishing aspect will cut into your hunting….I guess if I was you…. I would ditch all your companions and camp out in the alpine for the entire stay and try and stick a nice buck! But that's me and I love deer hunting.

I guess I would focus on fishing some creeks and shoot a bear that you are bound to run into and then if you get a nice shot of weather sprint up to the alpine, but don't have aspirations of glassing over dozens of bucks like is possible in August to early September. Good luck!

swmoelk

FNG
We will have to see how the draw treats us before we commit to the bear. So first week in September would be better deer? I was wanting to go in August but the wife really wants to tag along and bear hunt the streams and beaches. I plan on having my elk pack and spending two nights in the alpine. I will be putting in for a bear tag as well in case I come upon one. While out and about. Thanks for the advice Sleepy.

Depending on how the draws go, I may have to head up there this August. It sure seems like more and more people are going to POW these days, the cat is out of the bag I guess.

As for the guy above who wanted to fish, hunt bears, and deer, it can be done, but I'd push that forward to the first week of Sept for sure. As mentioned, if you get a good day or two, head high.

FYI, the first time I went there in 01 it rained, and I mean rained for 11 days straight days, hunting was all but a dream it rained so hard. The streams were blown out and it was one big wet camping trip. That could happen any month, but the further past Sept 1 you get, it seems like rain gets worse.

swmoelk

FNG
Well I'm booked 2-9 of September 2016. So come what may I'm going to see Alaska for the first time. Pretty excited to do a trip with the wife and Father in law.

Well I'm booked 2-9 of September 2016. So come what may I'm going to see Alaska for the first time. Pretty excited to do a trip with the wife and Father in law.
One week is waaaay to short of a trip. You're going to hate yourself in the end for not booking a longer vacation.