Let's talk arrow setups...

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
His current arrows do not have brass inserts so what he said is correct. If he goes with the brass inserts like he is thinking then yes, a .340 would be a bit weak for his set up.

Sorry to mislead there, I am currently using the brass inserts and would agree they and the 100 gr. heads, and the aggressive cams on the insanity are probably the reason for the under spine.

Don't have ready access to a good proshop very close so I may rely on the archery software more than I probably should but I figure it gets me in the ballpark to have a better arrow setup. The way I see it, it is impossible for me to be perfectly consistent with every shot, so the closer I can get my setup to being perfect, the better off I will be on the mountain, by reducing equipment error as much as possible.

A lot of good information here, I appreciate the feedback.

I only have limited experience with OT2, but I used it to select my last dozen arrows and I went with a setup that was exactly in the middle of the green recommended spine. To get a perfect match I had to play with arrow length and screw in weights, but I'm happy so far with the results.

Elite Energy 32
70 lbs
29.5 DL

Arrows:
Gold Tip Velocity XT 300 spine
2 inch blazers, RH
29.5 length
Extra 20 grains of gold tip weight screwed into inserts
Total weight: 412 grains
FOC: 13.37%

OR Archer

WKR
If you are wanting to stick with the 50gr inserts I wouldn't suggest the .260 spine. The .300s would work great at your current 65# draw. If you did go with the .260 you could use the full 75gr insert. It'd spine out a bit on the stiff side but would tune great. It'd kill your speed but it'd penetrate exceptionally well.

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
If you are wanting to stick with the 50gr inserts I wouldn't suggest the .260 spine. The .300s would work great at your current 65# draw. If you did go with the .260 you could use the full 75gr insert. It'd spine out a bit on the stiff side but would tune great. It'd kill your speed but it'd penetrate exceptionally well.
Thanks for the info! I would much rather have a slower arrow that was quiet than a fast one that wasn't accurate. I might give this setup a try and see how it works for me.

BSeals71

WKR
Just listened to that podcast. A lot of great information from both Randy and John on hunting arrow setups. Basically cannot go wrong with a heavy stiff arrow, high front of center and thin diameter shafts. Overall Randy is a great archer and very humble guy. Got a chance to chat with him after one of his seminars last year.