Let’s Talk Bipods

The MTN Gear is cool, and I believe it has a place as a hunting bipod where weight is a top concern. ... There is also quite a bit of wobble in it that some people won't like. A bit of loading helps to reduce that....The Spartan bipods have worked great for me, but they also have some wobble that requires loading.
I've been eyeballing both of these bipods and can't make up my mind. Is the amount of preload required similar? I like the adjustability and weight of MTN Gear and don't expect it to lock up solid, but is it a decent shooting platform given its limitations?

I've been using a combo of quick stix (almost zero weight penalty since I carry trekking poles anyway), a Harris bipod than I need to upgrade or ditch, and a tripod with a Triclawps mount (also carry the tripod anyways so just adding weight of the Triclawps).

I’ll be ditching the bipod this year and just shoot off my RRS ascend tripod with an anvil 30. It adjusts lower and higher than anything else I’m aware of and it has more than one use. Set up times longer than a bipod but if I need to shoot in a hurry I’ll have some quick sticks attached to my trekking poles as well 72B8F27B-8EAB-475C-A2AA-626B0CE7196C.jpeg

Tripod as a prone shooting tool is too slow to deploy in the field. I’d much rather take the weight penalty of a good bipod, or plan to use my pack than have to rely deploying a tripod for a prone shot.

No love for the Wiser Quick-Stix, eh? Not a true bipod, per se, but they fill the role of a bipod pretty well for being a couple ounces on top of the trekking poles you might already be carrying.

No love for the Wiser Quick-Stix, eh? Not a true bipod, per se, but they fill the role of a bipod pretty well for being a couple ounces on top of the trekking poles you might already be carrying.

I have those on my trekking poles and have practiced shooting with them. They don’t offer the stability of the hatch though for longer shots. I use the quick sticks quit a bit to stabilize my chest binos when I’m hiking for a quick look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will only be using prone with lighter recoiling rifles. Hunting and practice. Will come off to switch rifles during practice and will ride the ride during hunting season.

Hatch has been brought up a lot. Seems nice but know people who say spend your money else where. Not sure what to think.

Weight isn’t a huge factor but don’t want a 2+ pounder either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ckye pod single for prone shots gets my vote every time. I have the light and the standard. The light is just as stable as the standard, but lighter and more expensive. Tripod with anvil 30 or bag on tripod for anything higher than prone.

I run the quiksticks on my poles for a fast shot, the Spartan if I can go prone, and if I have time out comes my tripod with the spartan attachment. I always have poles, 2oz maybe, 8 oz on the Spartan, and the 2oz attachment to shot off the tripod.

Back