Let's talk Broadheads....

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been using 100 gr G5 monotec cs broadheads for a long time. Getting into my first elk hunt next year and the guide suggested 125gr broadhead with a chiseled tip. Didn't really care about the brand just that weight and profile. I've been looking at the NAP Thunderheads. Just looking for the guys with experience, thoughts, opinions, I'm all ears...

Read1t48

WKR
So many choices.
Shoot the one that flies best from your bow.
Good arrow flight is paramount. And make them sharp. Sharp from the package isn’t necessarily sharp.

They should easily shave hair. Every blade. If they don’t, learn how to sharpen them. I would put my bets on a low cost fixed blade Broadhead that flew very straight out of my bow and was tuned and being very sharp over any expensive Broadhead that did not fly perfect or was not scary sharp.

Tune your bow to a sharp fix blade broadhead that has an overall good reputation and you are good to go!

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed a lot of bulls with the montec 125 gr heads… I have recently switched to Valkyrie 210 gr heads and have been so impressed with the performance. I do agree with shooting a heavier arrow vs lighter. I currently shoot a 550 gr arrow at 300 fps, 31.5” draw… I def like heavy FOC, but not extreme. If you hit a bull broadside in the ribs, most setups are going to be pass through. If you mishit, like in the shoulder, I like to have a setup that gives a better chance for lethal penetration.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed a lot of bulls with the montec 125 gr heads… I have recently switched to Valkyrie 210 gr heads and have been so impressed with the performance. I do agree with shooting a heavier arrow vs lighter. I currently shoot a 550 gr arrow at 300 fps, 31.5” draw… I def like heavy FOC, but not extreme. If you hit a bull broadside in the ribs, most setups are going to be pass through. If you mishit, like in the shoulder, I like to have a setup that gives a better chance for lethal penetration.
I'm curious what bow your shooting, draw weight, and arrow to get 300 fps? I'm going to upgrade my Mathews heli m this year, but I'm shooting 340 hunter xt's, 402 grain total arrow weight around 275 fps drawing 69lbs/28.5 draw.

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious what bow your shooting, draw weight, and arrow to get 300 fps? I'm going to upgrade my Mathews heli m this year, but I'm shooting 340 hunter xt's, 402 grain total arrow weight around 275 fps drawing 69lbs/28.5 draw.

Mathews VXR 31.5
80 lb draw weight @ 31.5”
Valkyrie 250 Reign arrows

I’m thinking about dropping my draw weight a bit even though I’ll lose some speed. The energy is still plenty so not to worried. Plus it was prob a bit much for 250s with heavy FOC… I honestly was surprised at the speed that Mathew’s achieved with my heavy hunting arrow setup. I shot Hoyts for years and never touched that speed/weight combo

Mikido

WKR
Dude, keep it simple. Stick with the montecs. They fly well for you, easy to sharpen, keep going. Don’t overthink it. 100>125 won’t change anything but your confidence.

FYI in my experience the CS and standard
Don’t fly the same, i stick with the standards.

Two broadheads that you may want to look at: Slicktrick 125gr & Magnus Stinger, 2 blades with bleeders. Both seem to shoot as well as field points. Additionally, I love how easy the are to resharpen after use. I have many that I’ve killed multiple animals with. Also, they’re not super expensive—relatively.

Reactions: EVD

nvkevin

FNG
I echo the sentiment to shoot whatever broadhead works well for you and your setup. I would definitely lean towards a heavier arrow. I currently shoot a 125 gr. fixed blade with a total arrow weight of 469 grains at about ~16% FOC. This works well on elk and is an absolute hammer for deer, for me and my bow of course. More mass equals better penetration, especially with higher bone mass.

Edit: I should add that my arrow setup yields a speed of 272 FPS. Bow setup is 29.5” DL and 69 lb draw weight.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I choose broadheads that are:

Sharp and stay Sharp
High quality with consistent performance

I haven't found one that didn't shoot well in my bow. But i have someone who can tune a bow better than anyone I've met and can teach archery to anyone willing to learn.

Whatever broadhead the OP chooses, it should be able to shave hair.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I understand your guides suggestion, which comes from lots of clients making marginal shots. Part of me says, if your setup works, why change it. But, since you will be hanging with a guide, and you paid for their experience and knowledge, always good to try new things.

Depending on your budget, you might want to get a three pack of 3-4 different brands (my vote is 125g Slick Trick standards) and see what is flying best for your setup.

Lots of folks have mentioned arrow weight, lots of opinions, but that 465-500g seems to be what folks run, myself included (490g total weight, 125g broadhead, ~14% FOC). That might be a bigger deal than your broadhead....what is your arrow setup?

Also do you have a place to practice with them out to say 60-70 yards? Good to practice longer distances and make sure they are dialed in. Your chances of taking an Elk will be greatly enhanced if you are consistently hitting a grapefruit size spot at 40-50 yards with your broadheads (shoot them one at a time!)

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I understand your guides suggestion, which comes from lots of clients making marginal shots. Part of me says, if your setup works, why change it. But, since you will be hanging with a guide, and you paid for their experience and knowledge, always good to try new things.

Depending on your budget, you might want to get a three pack of 3-4 different brands (my vote is 125g Slick Trick standards) and see what is flying best for your setup.

Lots of folks have mentioned arrow weight, lots of opinions, but that 465-500g seems to be what folks run, myself included (490g total weight, 125g broadhead, ~14% FOC). That might be a bigger deal than your broadhead....what is your arrow setup?

Also do you have a place to practice with them out to say 60-70 yards? Good to practice longer distances and make sure they are dialed in. Your chances of taking an Elk will be greatly enhanced if you are consistently hitting a grapefruit size spot at 40-50 yards with your broadheads (shoot them one at a time!)
Hunter xt 340 with 100 gr g5 monotec cs.

Fullfan

WKR
Some good heads mentioned above. No need for the 33.00 heads, and they will not stand behind the hand shake warntee.

Magnus Black hornets, QAD exodus, slick tricks, all have worked well of elk for me. Tune your bow and anything will fly like a dart.

hiker270

WKR
I have killed a few elk with a Montec 100 gr. I have changed to 125 gr. just to get a little more FOC and KE.