Let's talk stocks

Jmort1754

WKR
Going to be in the market for two or three over then next little bit.

I don't own a tikka (yet) so no rokstock.

What stock has the best design with a verticals grip out there ?

M700 pattern? If so, they are making Rokstock for that as well.

Gunwerks ClymR, manners eh1 are others. I like the peak44 stocks as well.

Wrench

WKR
You have to answer that question for yourself. There's several quality manufacturers and they all have options. If I had to choose between an HTG and a chassis.....I'd take the htg every time, even though it is inferior in terms of options and fit potential.

the vertical grip stocks are not my favorite for hunting as I dont shoot hurried offhand shots as well as I do with a more swept grip and not everything I kill is a sniped shot.....but many guys are good with the verticals.....very individual choice.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stockys are great budget. It’s what I have settled on.

AG Composite, Manners, or McMillan. Those are ones I have used over the years. They are very nice and have awesome features.

the vertical grip stocks are not my favorite for hunting as I dont shoot hurried offhand shots as well as I do with a more swept grip and not everything I kill is a sniped shot.....but many guys are good with the verticals.....very individual choice.

My understanding and novice intuition is the opposite - am I wrong here?

I considered the classic Monte Carlo type stocks as better for offhand shooting and stalking type hunting. Vertical grip designs are better for prone/precision type shots, not offhand.

Wrench

WKR

I considered the classic Monte Carlo type stocks as better for offhand shooting and stalking type hunting. Vertical grip designs are better for prone/precision type shots, not offhand.
That's exactly what I am saying. We see a lot of builds that are based off PRS style builds and more at home to sitting on a tripod than being flung to the shoulder on a quick peek at a whitetail in cover.

I find the m40"ish" stocks do both scenarios "good enough" for me to be satisfied. I have some game warden and game scouts....but I would trade them tomorrow for htg's.....but that's just me, some guys think the game warden great off hand.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The evolution of building rifles has influenced your intuition. Look at the grip. The stock you think of is the one that dominated in the era/group you grew in.

The first rifles were barrels with a stick to put on your shoulder and had a bend to look down the barrel. Modern rifles with scopes eliminate the need for the bend, and you will see stocks with the buttons in line with the bore snd “negative” comb.

The first rifles had nothing to grip except the stick. Vertical grips put your hand and wrist into a neutral and natural position for all shooting.

If someone shoots better with it, then there is a real possibility and likelihood that it is because of habit and training on the system.
B46A86BE-3062-4CB3-ADA7-C48C9067681E.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's exactly what I am saying. We see a lot of builds that are based off PRS style builds and more at home to sitting on a tripod than being flung to the shoulder on a quick peek at a whitetail in cover.

I find the m40"ish" stocks do both scenarios "good enough" for me to be satisfied. I have some game warden and game scouts....but I would trade them tomorrow for htg's.....but that's just me, some guys think the game warden great off hand.
The amount of vertical grip is a little personal, but I think that the idea that less vertical grip makes a rifle better to fling on whitetail is a result of your practice with it.

I don’t think it makes a huge difference, people been killing white tails for a long time…

For me who didn’t have it ingrained in me, I can say practicing and learning the new shooting paradigms that challenge the long held status quo and myths has been demonstrably easier with the newer modern ideas. I think it does make a difference at the margins for sure, and new shooters learn faster.

It requires a change in paradigm for shooting and change of ingrained skill set.

I would NEVER tell you to switch what is working, but if you we’re dissatisfied or curious, I think there is something there for you.

Think I'm in the minority but I prefer chassis systems for my rifles. Had a few flavors of Manners stocks for awhile (about to sell a Manners EH1 soon) but for some reason KRG X-Ray chassis just fit me better.

Also, I believe the rokstock is going to be offered in other inlets, just Tikka is first. So maybe holding out for the rokstock will give you a chance to read the tikka reviews and then order it for your action.

SloppyJ

WKR
Welcome to the rabbit hole! I went round and round on a stock a couple months back. Being a lefty doesn't help either. I ended up with a McMillan Game Warden LR and I have no clue if I'm going to like it or not. But from everything that I could tell, it checks all the boxes I wanted and the wait wasn't too bad.

The only piece of advice I will give you is if you're needing them for next year, go ahead and order them now. Some of the wait times are through the roof. If you're right handed, you can probably pick up a used one for a decent savings. Lots of short action, right handed used stocks out there. I think the long action left hand I was needing is the very bottom of the "popular" category.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sorry, the only answer is that you have to try each one that you can get your hands on. They are made with different design philosophies, and to different dimensions. What feels great to me, may feel like a 2X4 to you.

Even the Rokstok could be a complete turd for some shooters. It will be made for average sized people and have features that fit the wants/needs of the designer.

Jeremy