Let's talk water....

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
3L bladder, and one extra nalgene in pack (as backup, hate checking bladder water level). Leave a 4L msr at camp. Use a steripen w pre filter. Also have some tabs with some emergen z to fill on the fly.

Carlin59

WKR
Hiker Pro with tabs as a back-up. 3L Camelbak, Nalgene as backup, around camp, and if for no other reason than to throw it into my sleeping bag with some boiling water to provide a little extra warmth on really cold nights-usually still is at least luke-warm in the a.m.

Also, just wanted to pass along a great customer service experience with Katadyn. Last fall my Flat Tops archery elk hunt was devised around a single 50 yard wide "puddle" I had found scouting. With as dry as last year was in CO, it was the only water available on top for several miles, and there was great elk sign around. Went I went to refill my my Camelbak and camp water, my nearly new filter cartridge completely clogged in about 2 liters of pumping (the Hiker Pro has an additional prefilter screen designed to prevent this). None of the normal field maintenance helped, and the handle snapped off in the process. Long story short, I abandoned this spot due to the water issues and lost two days moving to Plan B. I contacted Katadyn CS, and they sent me a replacement handle and new cartridge ($40 normally) at no charge. They were great to work with and I was really pleased with their service.

Speaking of failures, has anyone experienced any with either Katadyn or any of the other brands? Did you switch to a different brand after? I know the Sawyer's are becoming quite popular, but I saw several of their early bags they come with split around the plastic connector, making it pretty useless.

Cody

I use a source 2l for my drinking water, and a nalgene to supplement if needed. I also have a 10L drom I keep at camp for cooking and refilling for the morning if I haven't filled it up in the evening.

In the arid mountains, I'll carry weight to pay for durability: Katadyn pocket, 2-3 Nalgene bottles, and a large hanging bladder for base camp if there is one.

Every time you sit down, backpack bladders are at risk of puncture around here, and lightweight water filters with plastic levers appear to my eyes to be a weak link for a backpacking trip in the desert climates.