Leupold Boone and crocket reticle worth the extra cost over a regular duplex?

Rifle20

FNG
Is the B and C reticle worth the extra cost? If you have the cds system?Going on 6.5 creedmoor eastern deer most shots under 200 yards. Some power line shots could stretch it to 500 yards.

I’ve had two scopes with it. I actually liked it ok and it worked really well. It was quick to get on target as soon as you get the range. Having said that, it’s not my favorite reticle, felt too busy because the reticles are so thick. I also prefer to dial now that I have learned how to shoot and actually do it lol. Still have a b&c reticle scope and it’s not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Best use of a Leupold scope....set and forget.

Answer is yes, I use 2

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes. I’m not a dialer and if you spend any time here your faith in Leupolds will be shaken. I’ve had GREAT experiences with my B&C reticles. Just spend some time and make sure you know where each hash mark hits.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I use one and have found my shot ballistics are pretty close to what's shown below, zeroed at 200. Shooting 270 Win 130gr Barnes TTSX.
Boone_Crockett_detail.jpg

Ralphie

WKR
My buddy used the B&C reticle in my scope to kill a bull elk at just over 400 yards. Shot him twice. Worked great. This was after several days of riding around in my scabbard on my horse.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Leupold VX-3 scopes with the B&C reticle. I have hunted Africa with two of them, and I have taken a number of animals in the 300-400 yard range by holding over with one. For the price point, they are hard to beat.

To answer your question, in my judgment it is definitely worth the extra dollars.

Do you have a range you can practice to 500 yards? If you can practice at various distances and get familiar with what distance each hash mark represents at a certain magnification, it’s not a bad option.

OP
R

Rifle20

FNG
Thanks to all for your advice . Looks like the only question now would be is there any disadvantage to buying the B and C retiicle From the responses, I would say no.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all for your advice . Looks like the only question now would be is there any disadvantage to buying the B and C retiicle From the responses, I would say no.
Other than a slight increase in cost, no.

I should add that if you want to, you can use the subtensions of the reticle to figure out exactly what each line corresponds to at max (or any other) magnification, and work out your DOPE chart accordingly.

I have found, however, that the booklet that comes with it works very well in common calibers. On both my 300WM and 7mm Wby rifles, if I zero at 200, the first line gets me on a 300, the second line at 400, and the top small third line at 450, as indicated in the chart below. That is at max magnification. On my 375 H&H, the same system works but at lower magnification, I think it is 6x.

For practical hunting at what are for most people realistic ranges, the B&C reticle is a great tool. If you buy it and don't use it, you aren't out anything except a few dollars. I was going to say "a few bucks," but that is ambiguous in this context.

Last edited: