Leupold Vs. Swarovski.....Yeah, another one.

WildBoose

FNG
Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44..... 13.5in-19.7oz
Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44.... 14in-19.6

Is there $1000 difference in these? Build quality, Tracking, Optical quality??? I am a Leupold scope guy predominantly but love my 10x42 EL binos. These are the two scopes I'm interested in, no others. I am wanting to build a "lightweight-ish" rifle and want 30mm tubes with adjustable turrets.

Last edited:
Functionally probably not alot other than the leupold will give you more travel in the turret. You would be getting a better zoom ratio and glass quality with the swaro. Maybe FOV at low power.

I will not own another Leupold after chasing wandering zeros, broken erectors, and problems with over a dozen scopes in the last 5 years. Can't speak to swaro tracking but reviews on here are not optimal. I have had good luck with the z3 line without a turret.

nobody

WKR
No, there's no functional difference in either one of them. They've both got decent "glass," and both have extremely poor mechanical function.

Check out the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42, or the Trijicon Tenmile 3-15x50. They'll track, return to zero, hold zero (I.E. no more wondering if your gun is still "on" after a slip on the hill or after bouncing around in the back of the pickup), and have solid glass.

Scopes are aiming devices, not observation devices. Get glass that's "good enough" to identify targets and rock solid internals. Neither one of those optics is what those of us on the 'slide would deem to be rock solid. Spend money on good glass for your observation optics (binos and spotter), but outside that, good glass doesn't matter if the guts don't work.

Read through this subforum with an open mind and it'll be eye opening:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

If you want illumination, avoid Leupold. The battery covers have a bad habit of falling off while in the field. Has happened multiples on my VX5 HD and VX6 HD. While Leupold has been good and sent me replacements, they should not be falling off in the field especially in wet conditions. I'm done with Leupold and Swarovski is not a consideration for a scope.

Look at Trijicon, NF, and the others that passed the drop test.

I would buy the Leupold over the Swaro but I’d buy a Razor LHT 3-15 over either. It’s in the same weight bracket as those and a hair shorter. If you shop around you can get them new around $900 delivered.

Beware of any Leupold since around 2005.
Based on my observation on hunting forums since the 90's, most Leupolds built before 2005 have already been sent back for warranty replacement or will be.
Every Leupy I've gotten in trade has been sold off immediately and replaced with something else.
Vortex is just Leupold made in China.
I'll stick with Burris and Nikons have served me very well.

SDHNTR

WKR
Both have nice glass, with the edge going to Swaro, but both utterly fail when it comes to what matters, mechanical reliability. Go Nightforce or Trijicon.

Based on my observation on hunting forums since the 90's, most Leupolds built before 2005 have already been sent back for warranty replacement or will be.
Every Leupy I've gotten in trade has been sold off immediately and replaced with something else.
Vortex is just Leupold made in China.
I'll stick with Burris and Nikons have served me very well.

Geez there’s misinformation on this website.

Vortex is manufactured in China, Philippines, or Japan depending on the line.

Burris is made in Philippines or assembled in the USA from Phillipino and/or Chinese parts depending on the line.

Nikons are now all made in Philippines or China. They used to have a tactical line and the OG monarch line like 20 years ago that was made in Japan but those are long discontinued. They’re also the most miserable company that I have had to deal with on a warranty repair, even worse than Bushnell and Nightforce which are hard to beat for worst CS.

Leupolds are either made in USA which has to have the majority of parts made here for that label (80% IIRC), or are assembled in USA from some outsourced parts. Even on their lowest end lines the tubes and a lot of the major components are US made in house. Regardless, I’ve had Leupolds from 2005 and now and they have gotten significantly better since then. 5-6 years ago Leupold made a huge leap with their products. You couldn’t trust the old ones to track worth a damn even in the Mark 4’s and canted reticles were the norm, their spec was 3 degrees which is shit. The MK6 and MK8 lines came along and the MK8 was super solid just grossly overpriced for what you got, the MK6’s were iffy. The VX5HD, VX6HD, and MK5HD are also solid AF.

Last edited:

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I have used USA made Leupold scopes for more than 40 years with great service and reliability. I routinely buy and sell pre 2005 Leupolds with positive feedback from my customers. Nikon ceased production of rifle scopes several years ago. Good luck getting them serviced.

wyosteve

WKR
All except one of my scopes are Leupolds, both pre-2005 and post-2005. None have ever failed me and that includes those on .338 Win. Mag., .375 H&H and .416 Rem. Mag. The .338's especially have held up through several hundred rounds.

OP
WildBoose

WildBoose

FNG
Here we go again.
I would much rather people ready my post and this thread get 3 replies, but people are......nevermind. I am looking for info, real world experience with those TWO scopes. Yet this is turning into another bashing and suggesting of scopes I have no interest in. WKR'ers for the win.

Flyjunky

WKR
I would much rather people ready my post and this thread get 3 replies, but people are......nevermind. I am looking for info, real world experience with those TWO scopes. Yet this is turning into another bashing and suggesting of scopes I have no interest in. WKR'ers for the win.
Here’s what I can tell you….my dad has a vx5 3-15 on his 300wm. He’s had it for 3 years and that barrel is creeping up on 720 rounds. Out of those rounds maybe 75 -100 have been shot at 100 yards. All the rest are shot from 300-1000 yards, in other words, the turrets are turned regularly. I’ll have to ask him but I don’t think he’s had a loss of zero that I know of.

EVERY scope has failures, some we hear about more than others. I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion but that’s the nature of the internet.

SDHNTR

WKR
There are two types of Leupold/Swarovski/Vortex owners. Those who have had problems, and those who have yet to have problems but eventually will. I used to own all three, and was a huge proponent who would defend them vehemently. Then I became a failure statistic with each one eventually. Do you guys honestly think that the reputation these scopes have developed is all made up? Reputations get made for a reason.

And now with multiple scope manufacturers who have earned a reputation for the exact opposite, reliability and durability, why would a guy not just buy one of those? Even if the risk is small, why not buy the one with the good reputation versus the bad? If you were hiring a new employee to do a job for your business Would you hire the one with the questionable reputation, or would you hire the one who is known to be reliable? Why is this even a debate anymore? It’s a no-brainer. Let go of the ridiculous brand loyalty and buy stuff that is known to work better. Or just wait and your scope will eventually become a statistic too.