Lightest camp shoe?

Did you write up a trip report? I’d love to read it if you did and have a link. I love to see it when backpacking hunters are engaged in backpacking and mountaineering outside of hunting season. I believe it makes us that much more connected to each other and the land.
The only thing I have is a YouTube video of the trip. Its 2 hrs long with no commercials or loud music, just the views from the trail. Starts of a little slow for the first 3 min. but gets better.

Sharp rock terrain you can’t beat the “croc” style. If lower the water shoe is my choice. Packs down a smidge smaller too.

Just ordered up 5 different pairs to try out and pick one, as my $2 chinese flip flops finally gave up the ghost this last year... Intent is breathable camp shoes under 1/2-3/4 lb that I can stalk in without wrecking my feet. Looked hard at the custom moccasins, but am leery because of how greasy the mud can be during the early seasons... Wanted some lugs and something that wouldn't get trashed in the rain. Also ordered a new postal scale to dial in my pack and gear weights more precisely than the old heft and shrug method...

Vivobarefoot Trail II
Vivobarefoot Trail SG
Cheap amazon vivobarefoot knock offs - tons of options there in the $40 range
2 different styles of vibram 5 fingers

Also FYI for the people trying to get Vivobarefoots, they just got a new shipment in, and have all sizes of the trails in stock and there is a 20% off memorial day sale going on this weekend.

What’s the weight per pair on these i don’t see it listed on the site.

What’s the weight per pair on these i don’t see it listed on the site.
Since they don’t list it they aren’t likely proud of the actual weight. If they weigh the same as the current things I almost never bring I might be interested. I’d be pretty shocked if they are < 5 ounces.

Edit: I just read a review where a guy weighed his size 11/12. 12 ounces 🤮

He then cut off as much material as was practical and they still weighed over 8 ounces. 🤢 🤮

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Salomon amphib bold 2
Anyone used these yet?
Claim to be under 8oz/pair.

I just bought a pair to find out.
crocs have been fine in camp, but crummy for any demanding water crossings

These look better than my Minimus. Please report back on the actual weight. I would bet money that a size 12 is 10-12+ ounces. What size did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered size 12 last night from backcountry.
I'll put em on the scale when they show up.
Still listed for sale on several retailers websites. It's described as a new release on salomons site

Kampkook

FNG
My vote is an old pair of HeyDudes. They are breathable but keep my feet alot cleaner that crocs around camp.

Lots of good ideas and a lot of people running crocs / knockoffs. I personally don’t really like the water shoe or lightweight tennis shoes idea. If my feet have been in a snug boot all day, the freedom and less restriction on my ankles and feet/toes the better. I like my feet to breath at camp with slide on capability.

For a base camp hunt i'll bring 2 pairs of boots and a pair of crocs. For backpacking I wear mountain boots and sometimes clip crocs on the outside of my pack.

BDRam16

WKR
HeyDudes are VERY comfortable, and probably the quietest sole on the planet for sneekin' up on someone!
My HeyDudes with the insoles out in a 9 are 9oz for the pair. If I take anything with me this season that will probably be the winner.