Lightest weight higher end scope

madcalfe

WKR
Just curious, do you have personal experience with issues? I am certainly not a vortex fanboy, but have several items and have not had problems at all. My understanding is good warranty service though I have yet to use it. Not saying it's the best glass but I have no complaints.
I've went through a razor, viper, diamondback, diamondback binos. (all i could afford back then) the only thing that has stayed working is a older ranger range finder which I only use for work now.
yes their warranty is great no one will argue with that.
plus I personally know of a couple people that have had to send back their new razor's.

manitou1

WKR
Try finding a Bushnell LRTS/HS in the 3-12x. I think the glass in it is good and it's never lost zero for me...it's taken some big hits.

I'd also be happy with a scope with coke bottle quality glass as long is it never lost zero. I can't really think of a time when I've spent more than a minute or two looking through my scope at animals.
My LRTS weighs 28 oz

Just curious, do you have personal experience with issues? I am certainly not a vortex fanboy, but have several items and have not had problems at all. My understanding is good warranty service though I have yet to use it. Not saying it's the best glass but I have no complaints.
I had a vortex LHT 3-15 lose zero on me twice within one year. I replaced it with a nightforce

I had an LHT take a beating this season on a coues hunt due to clumsiness and idiocy on my part. It held up great but that's no guarantee that others would. It could just be I got a unicorn or something. If it gives me any trouble at all I'll get rid of it and replace it with a Nightforce SHV F1 or other proven durable FFP scope whose reticle I like.

I've went through a razor, viper, diamondback, diamondback binos. (all i could afford back then) the only thing that has stayed working is a older ranger range finder which I only use for work now.
yes their warranty is great no one will argue with that.
plus I personally know of a couple people that have had to send back their new razor's.
All good. Guess I am lucky so far :) Ive got several pcs that are still rock solid. This scope, a viper I have on my AR. A couple of red dots, and my Razor spotter. Man I guess I do have a bunch of vortex stuff....lol.

I had an LHT take a beating this season on a coues hunt due to clumsiness and idiocy on my part. It held up great but that's no guarantee that others would. It could just be I got a unicorn or something. If it gives me any trouble at all I'll get rid of it and replace it with a Nightforce SHV F1 or other proven durable FFP scope whose reticle I like.
I have been looking for alternatives as well just in case and just started looking into Nightforce. My brother has a Zeiss he really likes. We have a bunch of older Leupold scopes that still work well.

I have been looking for alternatives as well just in case and just started looking into Nightforce. My brother has a Zeiss he really likes. We have a bunch of older Leupold scopes that still work well.
I haven't done a deep dive into that price point but for FFP the Nightforce SHV F1 with the MIL-XT reticle looks nice to me since I do like floating center dots in my reticles.

CT_MS

FNG
My Leica amplus 3-18 is very reliable for dialling and very crisp glass. Weight is 23oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish there was more feedback out on these. Seen maybe 10-15 people post that they have them and love them. One person somewhere said he got a dud. Returned it and replacement was good. Several say the glass is better than the other options in the class. I strongly considered one when I called a couple of places to ask about them, one place immediately tried pushing a NF on me. The other place said they’re not moving many of them so they don’t expect to keep stocking them.

Elite

WKR
Wish there was more feedback out on these. Seen maybe 10-15 people post that they have them and love them. One person somewhere said he got a dud. Returned it and replacement was good. Several say the glass is better than the other options in the class. I strongly considered one when I called a couple of places to ask about them, one place immediately tried pushing a NF on me. The other place said they’re not moving many of them so they don’t expect to keep stocking them.
Doesesnt seem like Leica advertises lie the other brands, I would love to see it in the drop test on here. I have zero complaints on mine. The tracking has been perfect and has been on several mountain hunts. I have swaro glass and this is right up there with it, Leica is a well trusted brand in Europe

fwafwow

WKR
Doesesnt seem like Leica advertises lie the other brands, I would love to see it in the drop test on here. I have zero complaints on mine. The tracking has been perfect and has been on several mountain hunts. I have swaro glass and this is right up there with it, Leica is a well trusted brand in Europe
Would you consider sending it in for testing - after hunting season?

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I look at this differently now. Lightest higher end hunting scope doesn’t need to be more that 15x or FFP for hunting (for me). And 6x or 10x is fine for most scenarios . If dialed fully and shooting far then holds work fine. If dialed back I’m prob not holding for wind anyway inside 300yards. Keep in mind I have a 25x ffp that I enjoy shooting long at the range but for lightest hunting, I think u break it down to what u want first; ffp, sfp, magnification needed and glass quality - every bit of which is subjective. No right answer.

OP
H
Absolutely, I am thinking I want to be in the 15-18x high end magnification range. It is going to go on my first 6.5 Manbun I have ever owned. I resisted for a long time, but my boy is starting to get bigger and I wanted a gun I could get some solid trigger time behind without shooting all my bigger magnums. Most of my hunting rifles are magnums, so components and such seem to add up quicker. I have always shot SFP, but do own 1 FFP scope. I am probably leaning toward sticking to SFP for this rifle. Thank you to the guys who offered up different scopes. I now have a list of scopes I'd like to take a better look at.

TomJoad

WKR
I replied S&B above, but didn’t give you a scope reco. For amplus money you can get this klassik with BDC and super clean reticle for holding into wind:

I’ve owned a bevy of leupold, swaro, leica, Kahles and S&B. The S&B is the only brand of all those I implicitly trust. The S&B glass is alpha quality. If you want to spend more you can move up in price for better coatings until broke.

I only keep a few leupolds for rimfire. I still have a Leica Magnus on an old sako I shoot paper with. I have dropped all swaro except for a vintage fixed 4x which doesn’t seem to move around.

Last edited:

Elite

WKR
I look at this differently now. Lightest higher end hunting scope doesn’t need to be more that 15x or FFP for hunting (for me). And 6x or 10x is fine for most scenarios . If dialed fully and shooting far then holds work fine. If dialed back I’m prob not holding for wind anyway inside 300yards. Keep in mind I have a 25x ffp that I enjoy shooting long at the range but for lightest hunting, I think u break it down to what u want first; ffp, sfp, magnification needed and glass quality - every bit of which is subjective. No right answer.

I do agree with you but that little bit of extra magnification at the range is awesome like you say,

Elite

WKR
I replied S&B above, but didn’t give you a scope reco. For amplus money you can get this klassic with BDC and super clean reticle for holding into wind:

I’ve owned a bevy of leupold, swaro, leica, Kahles and S&B. The S&B is the only brand of all those I implicitly trust. The S&B glass is alpha quality. If you want to spend more you can move up in price for better coatings until broke.

I only keep a few leupolds for rimfire. I still have a Leica Magnus on an old sako I shoot paper with. I have dropped all swaro except for a vintage fixed 4x which doesn’t seem to move around. I wouldn’t put vortex on my dogs rifle, I love him too much.

Seems like those S&B are not very common in Canada? Any issues with performance dialling? How is that reticle for hunting in thick bush being FFP?