Lightweight ar-15 barrel suggestions

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting a lighter weight (under 6 lbs) accurate Ar-15 I have a BCM ss410 upper that shoots 1.5 moa 10 shot groups with 77 smk and 1.3 with 73 eld. That is acceptable to me but it heavier than I would like. So I built a lighter weight upper for my ar-15 with a criterion pencil barrel. I put about 150 rounds through it and am not happy with the accuracy 2 moa with 77 smk and 2.5-3 with 73 eld with 10 shot groups. What light weight barrels have people had good luck with especially 73 eld bullets. I know barrels are somewhat individuals so there are no guarantees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob2d

FNG
Honestly (and surprisingly) one of the most accurate barrels I had was a Daniel defense lw 16 5.56 mid gasser. I had it in my black rain rifle on a bipod and got well under 1 moa. I shot a few hand loads of 77 smk and it was about half moa...I couldn't believe it. So I shot the same loads on another day....same thing. I was stupid to sell that rifle.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I know Daniel defense has a good reputation but that is great accuracy

jimh406

WKR
Green Mountain Barrels make a lot of very good ones all of the way down to 1 in 7 twist. Blackstone Arms who took over AR Performance barrels are also very good.

83cj-7

WKR

I have two of these barrels on uppers for my SBR. They extremely accurate and I have also had great luck with the 16” versions as well.
My current 12.5” barrel has 10,000+ rounds through it and has been so hot several times, that I could not hold onto the hand guard. I just recently confirmed zero on the rifle and I was shocked to still get less than half MOA with my hand load and just over half MOA with 62 grain Federal fusion. I won’t look anywhere else when I need a replacement.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
My current 12.5” barrel has 10,000+ rounds through it and has been so hot several times, that I could not hold onto the hand guard. I just recently confirmed zero on the rifle and I was shocked to still get less than half MOA with my hand load and just over half MOA with 62 grain Federal fusion. I won’t look anywhere else when I need a replacement.[/QUOTE]

How many rounds where your groups and what bullet do you use for your hand loads?

83cj-7

WKR
Usually 5 shot groups. My hand load is a 60 grains Nosler BT at about 2700fps. Not flashy or fast, but deer think it’s a magnum!

😉

Boltgun

FNG
I’ve had surprisingly good luck with Faxon Gunner barrels. Sub MOA (5-shot groups) from an 18” 5.56 and 1.5 MOA with a 14.5” 5.56.